Chapter 4. Working with the dock
This chapter provides information about the video output function of the dock and instructions on how to
work with the dock utility, which enables you to configure the dock to your needs.
Understanding the video output modes
The dock works in the following three video output modes:
"Extend mode" on page 11
"Mirror mode" on page 12
"Single-display mode" on page 12
By default, the dock works in extend mode.
When the dock is in extend mode, it splits your display across two monitors.
There are three options when you are using extend mode:
• Extend: When you select this option, your notebook computer monitor becomes the primary display and
the external monitor becomes the secondary display. By default, the external monitor display is on the
right side of the notebook computer monitor display.
• Extend To: When you select this option, your notebook computer monitor becomes the primary display
and the external monitor becomes the secondary display. You can give the monitor its own frame buffer
through the submenu options Right, Left, Above, and Below or through drag operations. The display
space is a continuous area; therefore, windows and objects can be moved between different displays.
• Set as Main Monitor: When you select this option, the external monitor becomes the primary display and
the notebook computer monitor becomes the secondary display.
In extend mode, you can drag and drop windows from one display to the other. You also can increase
your productivity by doing the following:
• Reading e-mails on one display and opening attachments on the other
• Expanding a spreadsheet across two displays
• Increasing your work area by putting all the palette and toolbars on the other display when you are
doing graphics editing
• Keeping the desktop on one display and watching videos on the other
To enter extend mode, do the following:
1. Click the ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock icon in the Windows notification area. A pop-up menu opens.
2. Select ThinkPad Basic USB 3.0 Dock, and then select one from the following:
• Extend To
• Set as Main Monitor
© Copyright Lenovo 2013