• The higher the digital zoom factor, the coarser the recorded image. Note that the
camera also has a function that lets you record using digital zoom without image
deterioration (page 44).
• Use of a tripod is recommended to protect against image blur due to camera
movement when shooting with telephoto.
• Performing a zoom operation changes the lens aperture.
• Digital zoom only is available during movie recording. You can adjust the optical
zoom setting before you press the shutter button to start movie recording.
. Optical Zoom and Digital Zoom Switch Point
If you hold the zoom controller towards z (Telephoto), the zoom operation will stop
when the optical zoom factor reaches its maximum. Momentarily releasing the zoom
controller and then holding it again towards z (Telephoto) will switch to digital
zoom, which you can use to set an even higher zoom factor.
• During zoom, a zoom bar on the monitor screen shows the current zoom setting.
Optical/digital zoom switch point
• 24X optical zoom point
Image deterioration indicator
(Displayed for Auto Focus, Macro Focus, and Manual
24X to 172.8X
96.0X to 382.6X
Zoom pointer (Indicates current zoom.)