• Before connecting the instrument to other electronic components, turn off the power
for all components. Before turning the power on or off for all components, set all
volume levels to minimum.
• Be sure to set the volumes of all components at their minimum levels and gradually
raise the volume controls while playing the instrument to set the desired listening
• Do not insert a finger or hand in any gaps on the key cover or instrument. Also take
care that the key cover does not pinch your finger.
• Never insert or drop paper, metallic, or other objects into the gaps on the key cover,
panel or keyboard. This could cause physical injury to you or others, damage to the
instrument or other property, or operational failure.
• Do not rest your weight on, or place heavy objects on the instrument, and do not use
excessive force on the buttons, switches or connectors.
Yamaha cannot be held responsible for damage caused by improper use or modifications to the instrument, or data that is lost or destroyed.
Always turn the power off when the instrument is not in use.
Even when the [
] (Standby/On) switch is in standby status (power lamp is off), electricity is still flowing to the instrument at the minimum level.
When you are not using the instrument for a long time, make sure you unplug the power cord from the wall AC outlet.
To avoid the possibility of malfunction/ damage to the product, damage to data, or damage to other property, follow the
■ Handling and Maintenance
• Do not use the instrument in the vicinity of a TV, radio, stereo equipment, mobile phone, or other electric devices.
Otherwise, the instrument, TV, or radio may generate noise. When you use the instrument along with the application on
your iPhone/iPad, we recommend that you set "Airplane Mode" to "ON" on your iPhone/iPad in order to avoid noise
caused by communication.
• Do not expose the instrument to excessive dust or vibrations, or extreme cold or heat (such as in direct sunlight, near a
heater, or in a car during the day) to prevent the possibility of panel disfiguration, damage to the internal components or
unstable operation. (Verified operating temperature range: 5° – 40°C, or 41° – 104°F.)
• Do not place vinyl, plastic or rubber objects on the instrument, since this might discolor the panel or keyboard.
• In the case of a model with a polished finish, bumping the surface of the instrument with metal, porcelain, or other hard
objects can cause the finish to crack or peel. Use caution.
• During extreme changes in temperature or humidity, condensation may occur and water may collect on the surface of the
instrument. If water is left, the wooden parts may absorb the water and be damaged. Make sure to wipe any water off
immediately with a soft cloth.
■ Saving data
• Saved data may be lost due to malfunction or incorrect operation. Save important data to external device such as a
computer (see online manual, Computer-related Operations; page 7).
■ About copyrights
• Copying of the commercially available musical data including but not limited to MIDI data and/or audio data is strictly
prohibited except for your personal use.
• This product incorporates and bundles computer programs and contents in which Yamaha owns copyrights or with
respect to which it has license to use others' copyrights. Such copyrighted materials include, without limitation, all
computer software, style files, MIDI files, WAVE data, musical scores and sound recordings. Any unauthorized use of
such programs and contents outside of personal use is not permitted under relevant laws. Any violation of copyright has
legal consequences. DON'T MAKE, DISTRIBUTE OR USE ILLEGAL COPIES.
■ About functions/data bundled with the instrument
• Some of the preset songs have been edited for length or arrangement, and may not be exactly the same as the original.
■ About this manual
• The illustrations as shown in this manual are for instructional purposes only, and may appear somewhat different from
those on your instrument.
• The company names and product names in this manual are the trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective
YDP-162/142 Owner's Manual
• Do not use the instrument/device or headphones for a long period of time at a high
or uncomfortable volume level, since this can cause permanent hearing loss. If you
experience any hearing loss or ringing in the ears, consult a physician.
Using the bench (If included)
• Do not place the bench in an unstable position where it might accidentally fall over.
• Do not play carelessly with or stand on the bench. Using it as a tool or stepladder or
for any other purpose might result in accident or injury.
• Only one person should sit on the bench at a time, in order to prevent the possibility
of accident or injury.
• If the bench screws become loose due to extensive long-term use, tighten them
periodically using the included tool.
• Keep special watch over any small children so that they don't fall off the rear of the
bench. Since the bench does not have a backrest, unsupervised use may result in
accident or injury.