- MANUFACTURER: SONY CORP.
EU IMPORTER: SONY EUROPE B.V.
DA VINCILAAN 7-D1, 1930 ZAVENTEM, BELGIUM
INPUT: 5 V
OUTPUT: 5 V 80 mA (L), 5 V 80 mA (R)
MADE IN MALAYSIA
Do not install the appliance in a confined space, such as a bookcase or built-in cabinet.
Do not expose the batteries (battery pack or batteries installed) to excessive heat such as sunshine, fire or the like for a long time.
Do not subject the batteries to extreme low temperature conditions that may result in overheating and thermal runaway.
Do not dismantle, open or shred secondary cells or batteries.
Do not expose cells or batteries to heat or fire. Avoid storage in direct sunlight.
In the event of a cell leaking, do not allow the liquid to come in contact with the skin or eyes. If contact has been made, wash the affected area with copious amounts of water and seek medical advice.
Secondary cells and batteries need to be charged before use. Always refer to the manufacturer's instructions or equipment manual for proper charging instructions.
After extended periods of storage, it may be necessary to charge and discharge the cells or batteries several times to obtain maximum performance.
Dispose of properly.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits set out in the EMC regulation using a connection cable shorter than 3 meters.
High volume may affect your hearing.
Do not use the unit while walking, driving or cycling. Doing so may cause traffic accidents. Do not use at a dangerous place unless the surrounding sound can be heard.
If water or foreign objects enter the unit, it may result in fire or electric shock. If water or a foreign object enters the unit, stop use immediately and consult your nearest Sony dealer. In particular, be careful in the following cases.
- When using the unit around a sink, etc.
Be careful that the unit does not fall into a sink or container filled with water.
- When using the unit in the rain or snow, or in humid locations
For details on the effect of contact to the human body from the mobile phone or other wireless devices connected to the unit, refer to the instruction manual of the wireless device.
Install the earbuds firmly. Otherwise, they may detach and be left in your ears, resulting in injury or illness. Never insert the USB plug when the main unit or charging cable is wet. If the USB plug is inserted while the main unit or charging cable is wet, a short circuit may occur due to the liquid (tap water, seawater, soft drink, etc.) attached to the main unit or charging cable or due to foreign matter, and cause abnormal heat generation or malfunction.
This product (including accessories) has magnet(s) which may interfere with pacemakers, programmable shunt valves for hydrocephalus treatment, or other medical devices. Do not place this product close to persons who use such medical devices. Consult your doctor before using this product if you use any such medical device.
This product (including accessories) has magnet(s). Swallowing magnet(s) could cause serious harm, such as choking hazard or intestinal injuries. If magnets (or a magnet) were swallowed, consult a doctor immediately. Keep this product away from children or other supervised individuals to prevent accidental ingestion.
There is a danger that this unit or its small parts may be swallowed. After use, store the unit in the charging case and store in a location out of the reach of small children.
Note on static electricity
Static electricity accumulated in the body may cause mild tingling in your ears. To reduce the effect, wear clothes made from natural materials, which suppress the generation of static electricity.
On splash proof/dust proofing performance of the unit
- The charging case is not splash proof/dust proofing.
- The splash proof specifications of this unit are equivalent to IPX5 in IEC 60529 "Degrees of protection against ingress of water (IP Code)", which specifies the degree of protection provided against the entry of water, and the dust proofing specifications of this unit are equivalent to IP5X in IEC 60529 "Degrees of protection against solid foreign objects (IP Code)", which specifies the degree of protection provided against the entry of solid foreign objects. Unless the unit is used correctly, water or dust may get into the unit and cause fire, electrocution, or malfunctions.
Note the following cautions carefully and use the unit correctly.
IPX5: The unit will maintain its operability even when exposed to direct jet streams of water from any direction (except for the sound conduits (sound output tubes) of the headset). IP5X: The unit will maintain its safety and satisfactory operation in the event of an ingress of dust.
- The sound conduits (sound output tubes) of the headset are not completely watertight.
Liquids that the splash proof performance specifications apply to
|Applicable ||Fresh water, tap water, perspiration |
|Not applicable ||Liquids other than those above (examples: soapy water, detergent water, water with bath agents, shampoo, hot spring water, pool water, seawater, etc.) |
The splash proof/dust proofing performance of the unit is based on measurements performed by Sony under the conditions described above. Note that malfunctions resulting from water immersion caused by customer misuse are not covered by the warranty.
To maintain splash proof/dust proofing performance
Carefully note the precautions below to ensure proper use of the unit.
- Do not splash water forcibly into the sound output holes.
- Do not drop the unit into water, and do not use underwater.
- Do not allow the unit to remain wet in a cold environment, as the water may freeze. To prevent malfunction, make sure to wipe off any water after use.
- Use a soft dry cloth to wipe off any water that gets on the unit. If water remains in the sound output holes, the sound may become muffled or completely inaudible. If this happens, remove the earbuds, position the sound output holes facing downward, and shake several times to get the water out (Fig. A).
- Turn the microphone hole downward and gently tap it about five times towards a dry cloth etc. If any water drops are left in the microphone hole, it may cause corrosion (Fig. B).
- If the unit is cracked or deformed, refrain from using the unit near water or contact your nearest Sony dealer.
On BLUETOOTH® communications
- Bluetooth wireless technology operates within a range of about 10 m. The maximum communication distance may vary depending on the presence of obstacles (people, metal objects, walls, etc.) or the electromagnetic environment.
- Bluetooth communications may not be possible, or noise or audio dropout may occur under the following conditions:
- When there is a person between the unit and the Bluetooth device. This situation may be improved by positioning the Bluetooth device so that it faces the aerial of the unit.
- When there is an obstacle, such as a metal object or a wall, between the unit and the Bluetooth device.
- When a Wi-Fi device or microwave oven is in use, or microwaves are emitted near the unit.
- Compared to use indoors, use outdoors is subjected little to signal reflection from walls, floors, and ceilings, which results in audio dropout occurring more frequently than use indoors.
- The aerial is built into the unit as indicated by the dotted line in the illustration (Fig. C). The sensitivity of the Bluetooth communications can be improved by removing any obstacles between the connected Bluetooth device and the aerial of this unit.
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (IEEE802.11b/g/n) devices use the same frequency (2.4 GHz). When using the unit near a Wi-Fi device, electromagnetic interference may occur, resulting in noise, audio dropout, or the inability to connect. If this happens, try performing the following remedies:
- Establish a connection between the unit and the Bluetooth device when they are at least 10 m away from the Wi-Fi device.
- Turn off the Wi-Fi device when using the unit within 10 m of the Wi-Fi device.
- Position the unit and the Bluetooth device as near as possible to each other.
- Microwaves emitting from a Bluetooth device may affect the operation of electronic medical devices. Turn off this unit and other Bluetooth devices in the following locations, as it may cause an accident:
- in hospitals, near priority seating in trains, locations where inflammable gas is present, near automatic doors, or near fire alarms.
- The audio playback on this unit may be delayed from that on the transmitting device, due to the characteristics of Bluetooth wireless technology. As a result, the sound may not be in sync with the image when viewing movies or playing games.
- This product emits radio waves when used in wireless mode. When used in wireless mode on an airplane, follow flight crew directions regarding permissible use of products in wireless mode.
- The unit supports security functions that comply with the Bluetooth standard as a means of ensuring security during communication using Bluetooth wireless technology. However, depending on the configured settings and other factors, this security may not be sufficient. Be careful when communicating using Bluetooth wireless technology.
- Sony shall assume no responsibility for any damages or loss resulting from information leaks that occur when using Bluetooth communications.
- Connection with all Bluetooth devices cannot be guaranteed.
- Bluetooth devices connected with the unit must comply with the Bluetooth standard prescribed by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and must be certified as compliant.
- Even when a connected device complies with the Bluetooth standard, there may be cases where the characteristics or specifications of the Bluetooth device make it unable to connect, or result in different control methods, display, or operation.
- When using the unit to perform hands-free talking on the phone, noise may occur depending on the connected device or the communication environment.
- Depending on the device to be connected, it may require some time to start communications.
If sound skips frequently during playback
- The situation may be improved by setting the sound quality mode to "priority on stable connection." For details, refer to the Help Guide.
- The situation may be improved by changing the wireless playback quality settings or fixing the wireless playback mode to SBC on the transmitting device. For details, refer to the operating instructions supplied with the transmitting device.
- When listening to music from a smartphone, the situation may be improved by closing unnecessary apps or restarting the smartphone.
On the use of calling apps for smartphones and computers
- This unit supports normal incoming calls only. Calling apps for smartphones and computers are not supported.
On charging the unit
- This unit can be charged using USB only. A computer with a USB port or a USB AC adaptor is required for charging.
- Be sure to use the supplied USB Type-C cable.
- When charging, the unit cannot be turned on and the Bluetooth and noise cancelling functions cannot be used.
- Immediately wipe off any perspiration or water on the charging port after use. If perspiration or water is left on the charging port, it may impair the ability to charge the unit (Fig. D).
- If the unit is not used for a long time, the rechargeable battery may become depleted quickly. The battery will be able to hold a proper charge after it is discharged and recharged several times. When storing the unit for a long time, charge the battery once every six months to prevent over-discharge.
- If the rechargeable battery becomes depleted extremely quickly, it should be replaced with a new one. Please contact your nearest Sony dealer for a battery replacement.
If the unit does not operate properly
- Follow the procedure below to reset the unit (Fig. E). Put the units into the charging case, then touch and hold the touch sensor control panel on the left unit. When the indicator (red) on the unit turns off after flashing (after about 20 seconds), release the touch sensor control panel. Then, touch and hold the touch sensor control panel on the right unit. When the indicator (red) on the unit turns off after flashing (after about 20 seconds), release the touch sensor control panel. The pairing information and other settings are retained even when the unit is reset.
- If the problem persists even after the unit is reset, perform the procedure below to initialize the unit. Put the units into the charging case, then touch and hold the touch sensor control panel on the left and right unit simultaneously. When the indicators (red) start flashing (after about 10 seconds), release the touch sensor control panel. The indicator (blue) flashes 4 times, the unit is initialized, and the unit is reset to the factory settings. When the unit is initialized, all pairing information is deleted.
- After the unit is initialized, it may not connect to your iPhone or computer. If this happens, delete the pairing information of the unit from the iPhone or computer, and then pair them again.
On the noise cancelling function
- The noise cancelling function senses external ambient noise (such as the noise inside a vehicle or the sound of air conditioning inside a room) with built-in microphones, and produces an equal-but-opposite sound that cancels out the ambient noise.
- The noise cancelling effect may not be pronounced in a very quiet environment, or some noise may be heard.
- The noise cancelling function works for noise in the low frequency band primarily. Although noise is reduced, it is not cancelled completely.
- When you use the unit in a train or a car, noise may occur depending on street conditions.
- Mobile phones may cause interference and noise. Should this occur, locate the unit further away from the mobile phone.
- The noise cancelling effect may vary depending on how you wear the unit. If this happens, take off the unit and put it back on again.
- Do not cover the microphones of the unit with your hands or other objects. Doing so may prevent the noise cancelling function or the Ambient Sound Mode from working properly, or may cause a beeping sound (howling) to occur. If this happens, take your hands or other object off of the microphones of the unit (Fig. F).
Notes on wearing the unit
- After use, remove the headphones slowly.
- Because the earbuds achieve a tight seal in the ears, forcibly pressing them in or quickly pulling them out can result in eardrum damage. When wearing the earbuds, the speaker diaphragm may produce a click sound. This is not a malfunction.
- Do not subject the unit to excessive shock.
- The touch sensor may not operate properly if you apply stickers or other adhesive items to the touch sensor control panel.
- The Bluetooth function may not work with a mobile phone, depending on the signal conditions and the surrounding environment.
- If you experience discomfort while using the unit, stop using it immediately.
- The earbuds may be damaged or deteriorate with long-term use and storage.
- If the earbuds become dirty, remove them from the unit and gently wash them by hand using a neutral detergent. After cleaning, thoroughly wipe off any moisture.
Cleaning the unit
- When the outside of the unit is dirty, clean it by wiping with a soft dry cloth. If the unit is particularly dirty, soak a cloth in a dilute solution of neutral detergent, and wring it well before wiping. Do not use solvents such as thinner, benzene, or alcohol, as they may damage the surface.
- If you have any questions or problems concerning this unit that are not covered in this manual, please consult your nearest Sony dealer.
Replacement parts: Hybrid silicone rubber earbuds, Arc supporters
Please consult your nearest Sony dealer for information about replacement parts.
Location of the serial number label
See Fig. G
Power source: DC 3.7 V: Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable battery DC 5 V: When charged using USB
Operating temperature: 0°C to 40°C
Rated power consumption: 1 W (Headset), 3 W (Charging case)
Usage hours: When connecting via the Bluetooth device Music playback time: Max. 9 hours (NC ON), Max. 9 hours (Ambient Sound Mode), Max. 13 hours (NC OFF) Communication time: Max. 7 hours (NC ON), Max. 7 hours (Ambient Sound Mode), Max. 8 hours (NC OFF) Standby time: Max. 15 hours (NC ON), Max. 15 hours (Ambient Sound Mode), Max. 35 hours (NC OFF) Note: Usage hours may be shorter depending on the Codec and the conditions of use.
Charging time: Approx. 2.5 hours (Headset) (About 60 minutes of music playback is possible after 10 minutes charging.) Approx. 3 hours (Charging case) Note: Charging and usage hours may be different depending on the conditions of use.
Charging temperature: 5°C to 35°C
Mass: Approx. 9.8 g × 2 (Headset (including arc supporters (M), earbuds (M))) Approx. 59 g (Charging case)
- Wireless Noise Cancelling Stereo Headset (1)
- USB Type-C® cable (USB-A to USB-C®) (approx. 20 cm) (1)
- Hybrid silicone rubber earbuds (SS (1 line) (2), S (2 lines) (2), M (3 lines) (attached to the unit at the factory) (2), L (4 lines) (2), LL (5 lines) (2))
- Arc supporters (M (2), L (2))
- Charging case (1)
Communication system: Bluetooth Specification version 5.0
Output: Bluetooth Specification Power Class 1
Maximum communication range: Line of sight approx. 10 m1)
Frequency band: 2.4 GHz band (2.4000 GHz - 2.4835 GHz)
Operating frequency: Bluetooth: 2,400 MHz - 2,483.5 MHz
Maximum output power: Bluetooth: < 10 dBm
Compatible Bluetooth profiles2): A2DP / AVRCP / HFP / HSP
Supported Codec3):SBC / AAC
Transmission range (A2DP): 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz (Sampling frequency 44.1 kHz)
1) The actual range will vary depending on factors such as obstacles between devices, magnetic fields around a microwave oven, static electricity, reception sensitivity, aerial's performance, operating system, software application, etc.
2) Bluetooth standard profiles indicate the purpose of Bluetooth communications between devices.
3) Codec: Audio signal compression and conversion format Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
System requirements for battery charge using USB
USB AC adaptor: A commercially available USB AC adaptor capable of supplying an output current of 0.5 A (500 mA) or more
Compatible iPhone/iPod models
- iPhone XS Max,
- iPhone XS,
- iPhone XR,
- iPhone X,
- iPhone 8 Plus,
- iPhone 8,
- iPhone 7 Plus,
- iPhone 7,
- iPhone SE,
- iPhone 6s Plus,
- iPhone 6s,
- iPhone 6 Plus,
- iPhone 6,
- iPhone 5s,
- iPod touch (6th generation) (As of February 2020)
Apple, iPhone, iPod and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Use of the Made for Apple badge means that an accessory has been designed to connect specifically to the Apple product(s) identified in the badge, and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by the Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Sony Corporation is under license.
USB Type-C® and USB-C® are registered trademarks of USB Implementers Forum.
Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
Notes on the License
This product contains software that Sony uses under a licensing agreement with the owner of its copyright. We are obligated to announce the contents of the agreement to customers under requirement by the owner of copyright for the software.
Please access the following URL and read the contents of the license. https://rd1.sony.net/help/mdr/sl/20/
Disclaimer regarding services offered by third parties
Services offered by third parties may be changed, suspended, or terminated without prior notice. Sony does not bear any responsibility in these sorts of situations.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits set out in the EMC regulation using a connection cable shorter than 3 meters.
Notice for customers: the following information is only applicable to equipment sold in countries applying EU directives and/or UK applying relevant statutory requirements
This product has been manufactured by or on behalf of Sony Corporation.
EU and UK Importer: Sony Europe B.V.
Inquiries to the EU Importer or related to product compliance in Europe should be sent to the manufacturer's authorized representative, Sony Belgium, bijkantoor van Sony Europe B.V., Da Vincilaan 7-D1, 1930 Zaventem, Belgium.
Inquiries to the UK Importer or related to product compliance in the UK should be sent to the manufacturer's authorized representative, Sony Europe B.V., The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0XW, United Kingdom.
Hereby, Sony Corporation declares that this equipment is in compliance with Directive 2014/53/EU.
The full text of the EU declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address: http://www.compliance.sony.de/
Hereby, Sony Corporation declares that this equipment is in compliance with the UK relevant statutory requirements. The full text of the declaration of conformity is available at the following internet address: https://compliance.sony.co.uk
Disposal of waste batteries and electrical and electronic equipment (applicable in the European Union and other countries with separate collection systems)
This symbol on the product, the battery or on the packaging indicates that the product and the battery shall not be treated as household waste. On certain batteries this symbol might be used in combination with a chemical symbol. The chemical symbol for lead (Pb) is added if the battery contains more than 0.004% lead. By ensuring that these products and batteries are disposed of correctly, you will help to prevent potentially negative consequences for the environment and human health which could be caused by inappropriate waste handling. The recycling of the materials will help to conserve natural resources. In case of products that for safety, performance or data integrity reasons require a permanent connection with an incorporated battery, this battery should be replaced by qualified service staff only. To ensure that the battery and the electrical and electronic equipment will be treated properly, hand over these products at end-of-life to the appropriate collection point for the recycling of electrical and electronic equipment. For all other batteries, please view the section on how to remove the battery from the product safely. Hand the battery over to the appropriate collection point for the recycling of waste batteries. For more detailed information about recycling of this product or battery, please contact your local Civic Office, your household waste disposal service or the shop where you purchased the product or battery.
The validity of the CE marking is restricted to only those countries where it is legally enforced, mainly in the countries EEA (European Economic Area) and Switzerland.
©2020 Sony Corporation
Printed in Malaysia
Here you can download full pdf version of manual, it may contain additional safety instructions, warranty information, FCC rules, etc.