Using the Unit with Optional Accessories
Using the unit with a car audio system
XL-PV390SL comes with the car adaptor and car audio cassette adaptor.
• Car adaptor (CA-R456 or CA-R457)
• Car audio cassette adaptor (CA-RC6)
To connect to a car audio system:
Connect the car audio cassette adaptor to the unit's headphones jack. (When doing this, keep the unit's
VOLUME control at a medium setting.)
Depending on the automobile used, noise may occur, and in that case, it is recommended that a KS-U32 noise filter (optional) be
It may not be possible to use the unit with some types of car stereo owing to restrictions imposed by the construction of the car audio
For further details, refer to the instructions of the part concerned.
Accidental Operation Prevention Function (Hold Mode)
This function causes the unit to ignore short, accidental button
The accidental operation prevention function
prevents the following:
• Powering on the unit accidentally (which can cause the batter-
ies to go dead).
• Play being cut off unexpectedly in the middle of a track.
But the unit and wired remote control have HOLD switches,
each of which works independently.
To use the accidental operation prevention
• To prevent the unit from powering up accidentally, set the
HOLD switch to the ON position.
• To prevent the unit from unexpected operation during play,
set the HOLD switch to the ON position after you starts play-
ing the disc.
Maintaining the unit
Portable CD player
Wipe the unit with a soft cloth. Remove stubborn dirt using a
: Compact disc player
cloth which has been dipped in water or soapy water and wrung
Signal detection system : Non-contact optical pickup (semiconductor laser)
out, and then wipe dry.
: 3 beam laser
• If you intend to use a chemically treated cleaning cloth, read
Number of channels:
: 2 channels (stereo)
its directions first.
: 20 Hz to 20 000 Hz
• Do not use alcohol or paint thinners.
Wow & flutter
: Headphones (3.5 mm dia. stereo × 1)
Maintaining the lens
9 mW/ch at 10 % THD/16 Ω matching impedance (16 Ω to 1 kΩ)
Duration of battery
: Approx. 3 hours when using two rechargeable batteries
Open the lid and clean the lens as shown in the figure.
(BN-R1211) charged for 10 hours,
Use a cotton swab to gently wipe off any finger-prints.
Recommended product: Lens cleaner kit
Protection EX OFF)
Approx. 20 hours when using two alkaline batteries
: DC 3 V ("R6" size battery × 2)
DC 2.4 V (rechargeable battery × 2)
DC IN 4.5 V
Dimensions (W × H × D) : 134 mm × 30 mm × 144 mm
(Excluding buttons and controls)
Air blower for
: 237 g
Input power source
: AC 230 V, 50 Hz (for the U.K.)
AC 220 V - 240 V/110 V - 127 V, 50/60 Hz (for multi voltage area)
: DC 4.5 V, 600 mA
Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.
When the unit is in the hold mode according to the HOLD
" lights up if the 6 is
switch setting in the main unit, "
• Only the BN-R1211 battery can be recharged.
To release the function
• If the power delivered by the batteries lasts for a very short
Move the HOLD switch back to OFF position.
time after recharging, it means that the batteries' service life is
over. Do not use them any more.
• Recharging already charged batteries will shorten their service
If the HOLD switch on the unit is set to the ON position, you
cannot turn on the unit.
• When recharging batteries for the first time or when they have
not been used for a long period of time, the play time may be
shorter than usual. In a case like this, repeatedly recharge and
discharge the batteries. This will restore them to their regular
• Do not allow any metal objects to touch the terminals of re-
chargeable batteries since this may cause short-circuiting which
• Do not peel off the plastic covering on the rechargeable batter-
ies. Short-circuiting may occur which is dangerous.
Dry cell batteries / rechargeable
To prevent damage to the batteries and electrolyte leakage, heed
the following points.
• Align the , and . polarities properly when inserting the bat-
• Do not mix different types or makes of batteries or old and new
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the unit for a
long period of time.
• Do not throw batteries into a fire, and do not short-circuit, dis-
assemble or subject them to excessive heat.
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
Carrying dry cell batteries /
rechargeable batteries around
When putting dry cell or rechargeable batteries in a pocket or
bag, ensure that no other metal objects such as a necklace are
placed together with them. Contact with metal may cause short-
circuiting which, in turn, may cause a fire.
Before requesting service for this unit, check the chart below for a possible cause of the problem
you are experiencing. Some simple checks or a minor adjustment on your part may eliminate the
problem and restore proper operation.
If you are in doubt about some of the check points, or if the remedies indicated in the chart do not
solve the problem, refer to the directory of Authorized Service Centers (enclosed with this unit) to
locate a convenient service center, or consult your dealer for instructions.
• Are the batteries charged?
Does not turn on.
• Is the AC adaptor securely connected?
• Is the HOLD switch set to HOLD position?
Cannot close cover.
Is the disc properly secured in place?
• Is the disc properly secured in place?
• Is there moisture condensation on the lens?
Cannot play discs.
(Wait for about an hour and then try again.)
• Are the headphone plug and the wired remote control
Cannot hear music—too
plug inserted all the way?
• Is the plug dirty? (Wipe away dirt on the plug.)
Are you using the unit body too near a TV or tuner? (If the
TV picture is distorted.
TV or tuner is connected to a simple indoor antenna,
Radio reception is noisy.
connect it to an outdoor antenna.)
• Is the disc damaged?
"diSC" or "Er" is displayed
• Is the disc playable on this player?
when a disc is in the
• Has the disc been inserted upside down?
When purchasing rechargeable
• Handle the AC adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dan-
As a safety precaution, the portable CD players made by JVC
• Do not touch it with wet hands.
have a construction designed to make it impossible to recharge
• Do not place heavy objects on top of it.
• Do not forcibly bend it.
To use rechargeable batteries, be absolutely sure to purchase the
rechargeable Ni-Cd batteries designed especially for this unit.
• Be sure to connect only the AC adaptor provided (XL-PG39SL
for the U.K. only) with the unit.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is
Special rechargeable Ni-Cd batteries:
BN-R1211 (set of 2)
not going to be used for a long time.
For details, check with your dealer.
When purchasing AC adaptor
Be absolutely sure to purchase the AC adaptor designed espe-
cially for this unit.
AC adaptor: AA-R4515 (for the U.K.)
Ordinary dry cell
AA-R4516 (for multi voltage area)
For details, check with your dealer.
Notice about the rechargeable battery
No altering or remodeling
The battery is designated recyclable.
This can cause malfunctioning.
Please follow your local recycling regulations.
No dropping or strong impacts
This may damage the unit.
Locations to be avoided
When driving a car
Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can
In the interest of traffic safety, do not operate the unit while driv-
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
2. Warehouses and other dusty places
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
When purchasing AC plug adaptor
Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for
long periods of time
(for multi voltage area)
This may deform or discolor the cabinet and may also cause mal-
Be absolutely sure to purchase the AC plug adaptor designed
especially for this unit.
AC plug adaptor: QAM0060-001
For details, check with your dealer.
• Do not play your headphones at a high volume. Hearing ex-
perts advise against continuous extended play.
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or dis-
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create a
traffic hazard and is illegal in many areas.
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use
in potentially hazardous situations.
• Even if your headphones is an open-air type designed to let you
hear outside sounds, don't turn up the volume so high that you
can't hear what's around you.
Concerning Compact Discs
PORTABLE CD PLAYER XL-PG38SL/XL-PG39SL/
Only compact discs bearing this mark can be used with this unit.
However, continued use of irregular shape CDs (heart-shape, octagonal, etc.) can damage
CD-R and CD-RW discs recorded with the audio
CD format can be played back, though some may
not be played back because of the disc characteris-
tics or recording condition.
How to remove a disc from its case
How to store the disc in
Label side up
How to hold a disc
If the disk surface is dirty
Wipe it with a damp cloth and then wipe dry.
Wipe from the center toward the outer edge.
Play surface (shiny surface)
Check the packing carton for these accessories.
AC adaptor (AA-R4515) (for the U.K. of XL-PG39SL) ........................................................... 1 pc.
If moisture has formed on a disc
Stereo headphones (for the U.K.) ................................................................................................ 1 pc.
When moisture has formed because the
• On the label side (the side with writing)
Over stereo headphones (for other area) ................................................................................... 1 pc.
disc was brought suddenly into a warm
Do not write anything using a pencil,
Car adaptor (CA-R456 or CA-R457) (XL-PV390SL) ................................................................. 1 pc.
room from a cold environment, wipe off
ball-point pen, etc. Do not use adhesive
Car audio cassette adaptor (CA-RC6) (XL-PV390SL) .............................................................. 1 pc.
the moisture using a soft dry cloth.
paper or labels.
Rechargeable Ni-Cd batteries (BN-R1211) (for the U.K. of XL-PG39SL) .......................... 2 pcs.
When storing discs
• On the disc (shiny) side
Avoid locations which are
Handle this side carefully to keep it free
from fingerprints or scratches. Do not
• Exposed to direct sunlight.
use record cleaners, solvents, etc.
• Susceptible to high levels of humidity or
• Do not attach labels or stickers to CDs.
• Directly exposed to heat from a heating
Do not use CDs with exposed adhesive
Thank you for purchasing this JVC product. Please read these instructions carefully before starting
from tape or left over peeled off stickers.
operation to be sure to obtain optimum performance and a longer service life from the unit.
• Do not use scratch-proof protectors or
• On top of a car dashboard or near the
covers other than those specified for use
with this unit.
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. DANGER: Invisible laser radiation when open and interlock
THIS PRODUCT UTILIZES A LASER.
failed or defeated. Avoid direct exposure to beam.
USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUST-
3. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover. There are no user
MENTS OR PERFORMANCE OF PRO-
serviceable parts inside the Unit; leave all servicing to qualified
SPECIFIED HEREIN MAY RESULT IN
HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
DO NOT OPEN COVERS AND DO NOT
REPAIR YOURSELF. REFER SERVIC-
ING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL.
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR
ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO NOT EXPOSE
THIS APPLIANCE TO RAIN OR MOIS-
Marking sign is located on bottom of
INVISIBLE LASER RADIATION WHEN OPEN AND INTERLOCK DEFEATED.
(Bottom of product)
AVOID DIRECT EXPOSURE TO BEAM.
USYNLIG LASERSTRÅLING VED ÅBNING, NÅR SIKKERHEDSAFBRYDERE
(Påsat under apparatet)
ER UDE AF FUNKTION. UNDGÅ UDSÆTTELSE FOR STRÅLING.
AVATTAESSA JA SUOJALUKITUS OHITETTAESSA OLET ALTTIINA
NÄKYMÄTÖNTÄ LASERSÄTEILYLLE. ÄLÄ KATSO SÄTEESEEN.
OSYNLIG LASERSTRÅLNING NÄR DENNA DEL ÄR ÖPPNAD OCH
SPÄRREN ÄR URKOPPLAD. BETRAKTA EJ STRÅLEN.
USYNLIG LASERSTRÅLING NÅR DEKSEL ÅPNES OG SIKKERHEDSLÅS
BRYTES. UNNGÅ EKSPONERING FOR STRÅLEN.
UNSICHTBARE LASERSTRAHLUNG, WENN ABDECKUNG GEÖFFNET
(Unterseite des Gerätes)
UND SICHERHEITSVERRIEGELUNG ÜBERBRÜCKT.
NICHT DEM STRAHL AUSSETZEN.
VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED
©2003 VICTOR COMPANY OF JAPAN, LIMITED
Use numbers in parentheses when asking for replacement parts.
Bottom of the unit
• Do not block the ventilation opening or holes. (If the ventilation
openings of holes are blocked by a newspaper or cloth, etc., the
heat may not be able to get out.)
• Do not place any naked flame sources, such as lighted candles, on
• When discarding batteries, environmental problems must be con-
sidered and local rules or laws governing the disposal of these
batteries must be followed strictly.
• Do not expose this apparatus to rain, moisture, dripping or splashing
and that no objects filled with liquids, such as vases, shall be placed
on the apparatus.
LVT0978-004A [B, UJ]