Quick Start Guide Table of Contents Preface Shipping Materials Introduction Setting Up Preparing the Printer Connecting the Printer to the Computer Installing the Print Head Loading Paper Installing the Printer Driver Aligning the Print Head Basic Operations Printing with Windows...
International ENERGY STAR ® As an ENERGY STAR Partner, Canon Inc. has determined that this product meets the ENERGY STAR guidelines for efficiency. The International ENERGY STAR that promotes energy saving through the use of computer and other office equipment.
Preface Shipping Materials Thank you for purchasing a Canon Bubble Jet Printer. Check that all the following items are in the box. If anything is missing or is damaged, contact your Canon Service Representative. Printer Setup Software & User’s Guide CD-ROM...
• If your computer has an earth connection, make sure that this is attached. • If you do not intend to use the printer for a long period of time, unplug the power cord from the power outlet after turning off the printer.
If the Add New Hardware Wizard or Found New Hardware Wizard screen appears when carrying out the following operations, click Cancel and turn off the computer. Follow the steps below to install the printer driver correctly. Ensure that the printer and the computer are turned off.
Print Head Holder Print Head Lock Lever Plug the printer in. Turn on the printer. Do NOT turn on the computer yet. The POWER lamp flashes and the printer begins to operate. Wait until the POWER lamp remains fully lit.
Place the Print Head in the holder. Be careful not to touch any parts inside the printer. Lock the Print Head into place by lowering the lever. Do not touch the lever once the Print Head has been installed.
Installing the Ink Tanks • For safety reasons, store ink tanks out of the reach of small children. • Do not drop or shake ink tanks as this may cause the ink to leak out and stain your clothes and hands. •...
iP4000 Black Yellow Magenta BCI-6BK BCI-6Y BCI-6M Black BCI-3eBK iP3000 Black Cyan Magenta BCI-3eBK BCI-6C BCI-6M Use the same procedure to install the other ink tanks into their appropriate slots. Check the labels to make sure that each tank is in the correct position.
• Other than the Sheet Feeder, you can load paper in the Cassette. For information on loading the print media in the Cassette, refer to the User's Guide. • You can select the paper source also from the printer driver. For details, refer to the User's Guide. Pull out the Paper Support and Paper Output Tray completely as shown.
• The screens below refer to Windows XP installation. Screens may differ depending on the operating system you are using. • When installing the printer driver in Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0, log on to the system as a member of the Administrators group.
Yes. When the screen shown on the left appears, turn the printer on. If the printer is recognized, the printer driver will be automatically installed. If the connection is not recognized, refer to “Notes on Handling the USB Interface (for Windows Users)”...
If you want to install Easy-PhotoPrint, double-click the application folder, then double-click the Easy-PhotoPrint folder, and Installer. • For Mac OS 9.x users, refer to the Printer Driver Guide for Mac OS 9 for instructions on how to install the printer driver.
Double-click PIXMA iP4000 xxx.pkg or PIXMA iP3000 xxx.pkg. “x” represents a number. Click Continue. Read the License Agreement and click Continue, then click Agree. Select a destination to where you want to install the printer driver, and click Continue. Click Install.
Aligning the Print Head positions allows you to print without shifts in the color registration. • The Print Head can be aligned also from the printer itself. With the printer on, load a sheet of A4 (Letter) size plain paper in the Sheet Feeder. Hold the RESUME/CANCEL button until the POWER lamp flashes four times.
Aligning the Print Head – Macintosh For Mac OS 9.x users, refer to the Printer Driver Guide for Mac OS 9 for instructions on how to align the Print Head. Read the message and click Print Head Alignment. It takes about 60 seconds to start printing. Do not open the Top Cover while printing.
Select your printer from the Name list and click Utility. When using versions of Mac OS other than Mac OS X v.10.3.x, select your printer from the Name list and click Configure. Select your printer from the Product list and click Maintenance.
• If you detect smoke, unusual smells or strange noises around the printer, immediately switch the printer off and always unplug the printer. Contact your local Canon service representative. • To avoid injury, never put your hand or fingers inside the printer while it is printing.
Ensure that the proper lamp of the paper source lights. Cassette If not, press the Paper Feed Switch on the printer. Lamp To start printing, click Print. Sheet Feeder Lamp Printing will start in a few moments.
Basic Printing Settings For the best print quality, specify the minimum requirement settings in the Main tab. To get the best results, ensure you select the type of media loaded in the printer when printing on paper other than plain paper.
For details, refer to “Basic Printing Settings” on page 20. Ensure that the proper lamp of the paper source is lit. If not, press the Paper Feed Switch on the printer. Click Print. Printing will start in a few moments.
Quality & Media from the pop-up menu to change the display of the dialog box. To get the best results, ensure you select the type of media loaded in the printer when printing on paper other than plain paper. (1) Media Type Select the type of media loaded in the printer.
Print Head Maintenance If Blurring Occurs or If a Specific Color Does Not Print Perform Print Head Cleaning to improve the print quality. Ensure that the printer is turned on and follow the instructions below. • Windows Open the printer driver settings screen and click the Maintenance tab. Click Cleaning.
Install the new ink tank. Put back the Inner Cover and close the Top Cover when finished. For more details about maintenance, refer to the User’s Guide.
• Canon “Bubble Jet Direct” allows you to print photos from a Canon “Bubble Jet Direct” compatible (“PictBridge” incompatible) digital camera or digital video camcorder without a computer by simply connecting the digital camera or digital video camcorder to this printer.
The settings explained on the following pages cannot be made on some cameras. If any setting cannot be made, the default setting explained above is used. Names of settings that are displayed on Canon PictBridge-compliant cameras are used in the description given below.
Select “Photo” for Photo Paper Plus Glossy. If using a Canon PictBridge - compatible camera, you can select 5" x 7" from “Paper size”. The following sizes and types of paper can be loaded in the printer by selecting options from Paper size and Paper type.
Printing Photographs Directly from a Canon “Bubble Jet Direct” Compatible Digital Camera Media Types for Digital Camera When you connect a digital camera, you can use the following media: Digital Camera Setting Card #1 Card #2 Card #3 • For the digital camera operation method and troubleshooting, refer to your digital camera’s manual.
Notes on Handling the USB Interface (for Windows Users) If installation of the printer driver does not proceed as instructed in this Quick Start Guide, there may be a problem with the USB driver installation. Try reinstalling the printer driver.
• USB* interface or standard 25 pin parallel interface (parallel interface is available only for iP4000) • CD-ROM drive • Available hard-disk space for printer driver installation Windows XP/Windows 2000/Windows NT 4.0: 50MB Windows Me/Windows 98/Windows 95: * USB operation can only be guaranteed on a PC with pre-installed Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, or Windows 98.
Do not make any changes or modifications to the equipment unless otherwise specified in the manual. If such changes or modifications should be made, you could be required to stop operation of the equipment. Canon U.S.A., Inc. One Canon Plaza...