PIXMA iP4000 SERVICE MANUAL Canon Copyright 2004, Canon U.S.A. This technical publication is the proprietary and confidential information of Canon U.S.A. which shall be retained for reference purposes by Authorized Service Facilities of Canon U.S.A. Its unauthorized use is prohibited.
Product and brand names appearing in this manual are registered trademarks or trademarks of the respective holders. Copyright All rights reserved. No parts of this manual may be reproduced in any form or by any means or translated into another language without the written permission of Canon Inc., except in the case of internal business use.
I. MANUAL OUTLINE This manual consists of the following three parts to provide information necessary to service the PIXMA iP4000: Part 1: Maintenance Information on maintenance and troubleshooting of the PIXMA iP4000 Part 2: Technical Reference New technology and technical information such as FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions) of the PIXMA iP4000 Part 3: Appendix Block diagrams and pin layouts of the PIXMA iP4000 Reference:...
II. TABLE OF CONTENTS Part 1: MAINTENANCE 1. MAINTENANCE 1-1. Adjustment, Periodic Maintenance, Periodic Replacement Parts, and Replacement Consumables by Service Engineer 1-2. Customer Maintenance 1-3. Product Life 1-4. Special Tools 1-5. Serial Number Location 2. LIST OF ERROR DISPLAY / INDICATION 2-1.
1. MAINTENANCE 1-1. Adjustment, Periodic Maintenance, Periodic Replacement Parts, and Replacement Consumables by Service Engineer (1) Adjustment Approx. Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool time EEPROM At logic board ass'y replacement None. 1 min. To initialize settings other than the following: initialization - USB serial number (EEPROM settings) - Destination setting...
1-2. Customer Maintenance Adjustment Timing Purpose Tool Approx. time Print head alignment At print head replacement. To ensure accurate dot placement. - Printer buttons 3 min. - Computer (automatic settings via the printer driver) Print head cleaning When print quality is not satisfying. To improve nozzle conditions.
(3) Ink tank (target value) PIXMA iP4000: BCI-3eBK: 740 pages (1,500 character pattern, plain paper / standard mode) 1,500 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No. 5 / plain paper / standard mode) BCI-6C: 550 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No. 5 / plain paper / standard mode) BCI-6M: 430 pages (ISO JIS-SCID No.
2. LIST OF ERROR DISPLAY / INDICATION Errors are indicated by the LED, and warnings are displayed on the monitor of the computer connected to the printer. 2-1. Operator Call Errors (by LED Blinking in Orange) LED blinking Error [Error code] Solution Remarks in orange...
2-2. Service Call Errors (by LED Blinking in Orange and Green Alternately, or Lit in Orange) LED alternate blinking Solution Error [Error code] in orange and green (Replacement of listed parts, which are likely to be faulty) 2 times Carriage error  - Carriage unit (QM2-1209) - Timing slit strip film (QC1-4284) - Logic board ass'y (QM2-1548)
2-3. Warnings Printer (no LED indications): Displayed warning Remarks Low ink of 3eBK, 6C, 6M, 6Y, or 6BK (at detection Status indication only. of no remaining raw ink) Print head temperature rise If the print head temperature is high when the access cover is opened, the warning is displayed When the print head temperature falls, the warning is released.
Printing is incorrect. Replace the logic board ass'y No ejection of black ink. Replace the - ink tank, or - print head Graphic or text is enlarged on printouts. When enlarged in the carriage movement direction, clean grease or oil off the timing slit strip film, or replace the - timing slit strip film, - carriage unit, or - logic board ass'y...
3. REPAIR 3-1. Notes on Service Part Replacement (and Disassembling / Reassembling) Service part Notes on replacement Adjustment / settings Operation check Logic board ass'y - Before removal of the logic board ass'y, - EEPROM information print After replacement: remove the power cord, and allow for QM2-1548 1.
Service part Notes on replacement Adjustment / settings Operation check Shaft lift - Service test print At replacement: QC1-4331 1. Apply grease to the sliding portions. [See 3.3. Adjustment / Settings, (3) Grease application.] Timing slit strip film - Upon contact with the film, wipe the - Service test print After replacement: film with ethanol.
3-2. Special Notes on Repair Servicing (1) Flexible cable and harness wiring, connection Be careful of wiring of the flexible cables and harness. Improper wiring or connection may cause breakage of a line, leading to ignition or emission of smoke. (I) Logic board ass'y and operation panel unit wiring (II) Paper feed motor side wiring To the top...
3-3. Adjustment / Settings (1) Paper feed motor adjustment Perform the following adjustments when the paper feed motor unit is replaced: 1) When attaching the motor, fasten the screws so that the belt is properly stretched (in the direction indicated by the blue arrow in the figure below). 2) After replacement, be sure to perform the service test print, and confirm that no strange noise or faulty print operation (due to dislocation of the belt or gear, or out-of-phase motor, etc.) occurs.
Grease / oil Part name Where to apply grease / oil Grease / oil name amount Entire surface the carriage slider contacts 3 drops Chassis FLOIL KG107A Cam contact portion FLOIL KG107A 1 drop Carriage shaft sliding portion FLOIL KG107A 1 drop Carriage shaft cam L sliding portion MOLYKOTE HP300...
(4) Waste ink counter setting When the logic board ass'y is replaced, reset the waste ink counter. In addition, according to the waste ink amount, replace the waste ink absorber (the bottom case unit or the ink absorbers). The standard amount for waste ink absorber replacement is given in the table below. Waste ink amount Bottom case unit or ink absorber replacement Less than 7%...
(6) Service mode Function Procedures Remarks Service test print See "Service mode operation procedures" below. Set a sheet of A4- , letter-, or larger-sized paper. - Model name For print sample, see 3-4. Verification Items, (1) Service test print, <Service test print sample>. - ROM version - USB serial number - Waste ink amount...
<Destination settings procedures> In the destination settings mode, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) according to the destination listed in the table below, and press the Power button. Time(s) Destination 1 time Orange Japan: iP4100 2 times Green Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000 3 times...
3-4. Verification Items (1) Service test print <EEPROM information contents> On the service test print (sample below), confirm the EEPROM information as shown below. (The information is given in the upper portion of the printout.) <Print check items> On the service test print (sample below), confirm the following items: - Check 1, nozzle check pattern: Ink shall be ejected from all nozzles - Check 2, top of form accuracy: The line shall not extend off the paper.
4. PRINTER TRANSPORTATION This section describes the procedures for transporting the printer for returning after repair, etc. 1) In the service mode, press the Power button to finish the mode, and confirm that the paper lifting plate of the sheet feeder unit is raised. 2) Keep the print head and ink tanks installed in the carriage.
1. NEW TECHNOLOGIES (1) Multi-paper handling Paper feeding through the auto sheet feeder and the front cassette, automatic duplex printing, and CD-R / DVD-R direct printing is available as a standard feature. - Auto sheet feeder: Supports credit card size and sticker sheets as well as conventional paper types and sizes. - Front cassette: Except credit card size and sticker sheets, supports the same types and sizes of paper as the auto sheet feeder.
2. CLEANING MODE AND AMOUNT OF INK PURGED To prevent printing problems due to bubbles, dust, or ink clogging, print head cleaning is performed before the start of printing, except in the following cases: - Cleaning on arrival: Performed when the access cover is closed. - Cleaning by dot count: Performed after ejection of paper (or after printing on the back side of paper when auto duplex printing is performed).
0.14 (Black) 45 (All at the same time) Manual cleaning - Via the operation panel (All at the same time only) 0.50 (Color) 30 (Black) (Black/Color/All at the same - Via the printer driver (Selectable from Black, Color, or 40 (Color) time) All at the same time) 1.58 (Black)
3. FAQ (Problems Specific to the iP4000 and Corrective Actions) Function Phenomenon Condition Cause Corrective action Possible call or complaint Margin (approx. 0.3mm) - Paper feeding from the cassette, Photo - In the printer driver, increase the amount of - A margin appears on printouts. Paper Plus Double Sided (A4), borderless extension.
Cleaning by user: cleaning was performed, and the platen ribs were cleaned with 1. Perform Bottom plate cleaning (from the printer cotton swab, paper gets driver) up to 3 times smeared. : Change the paper in each Bottom plate cleaning. The cleaning can end when paper does not get any soiling.