BEFORE RETURNING THIS PRODUCT
FOR ANY REASON PLEASE CALL
IF YOU SHOULD EXPERIENCE A PROBLEM
WITH YOUR BLACK & DECKER PURCHASE,
CALL 1-800-54-HOW-TO (1-800-544-6986).
IN MOST CASES, A BLACK & DECKER REPRESENTATIVE
CAN RESOLVE YOUR PROBLEM OVER THE PHONE.
IF YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION OR COMMENT,
GIVE US A CALL. YOUR FEEDBACK IS VITAL
TO THE SUCCESS OF BLACK & DECKER'S QUALITY
KEY INFORMATION YOU SHOULD KNOW:
• Always wear eye protection.
• Make sure tool rests, spark guards, and eye shields are firmly secured before tool
SAVE THIS MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
VEA EL ESPAÑOL EN LA CONTRAPORTADA.
INSTRUCTIVO DE OPERACIÓN, CENTROS DE SERVICIO Y
PÓLIZA DE GARANTÍA. ADVERTENCIA: LÉASE ESTE
INSTRUCTIVO ANTES DE USAR EL PRODUCTO.
CAT. NOS. BT3500
FORM NO. 398203-00
WARNING: For your own safety read instruction manual before operating tool.
In the event of a malfunction or breakdown, grounding provides a path of least resistance for
electric current to reduce the risk of electric shock. This tool is equipped with an electric cord
having an equipment-grounding conductor and grounding plug. The plug must be plugged
into a matching outlet that is properly installed and grounded in accordance with all local
codes and ordinances. Do not modify plug provided—if it will not fit the outlet, have the proper
outlet installed by a qualified electrician.
Improper connection of the equipment-grounding conductor can result in a risk of electric
shock. The conductor with insulation having an outer surface that is green with or without
yellow stripes is the equipment-grounding conductor. If repair or replacement of the electric
cord or plug is necessary, do not connect the equipment-grounding conductor to a live
Check with a qualified electrician or service personnel if the grounding instructions are not
completely understood, or if in doubt as to whether the tool is properly grounded.
Use only 3-wire extension cords that have 3-prong grounding plugs and 3-pole receptacles
that accept the tool's plug.
Repair or replace damaged or worn cords immediately.
This tool is intended for use on a circuit that has an outlet that looks like the one illustrated in
Figure A. The tool has a grounding plug that looks like the plug illustrated in Figure A. A
temporary adapter, which looks the adapter illustrated in Figures B and C, may be used to
connect this plug to a 2-pole receptacle as shown in Figure B if a properly grounded outlet is
not available. The temporary adapter should be used only until a properly grounded outlet can
be installed by a qualified electrician. The green-colored rigid ear, lug, and the like, extending
from the adapter must be connected to a permanent ground such as a properly grounded
WARNING: Read and understand all instructions. Failure to follow all instructions listed
below may result in electric shock, fire and/or serious personal injury.
Important Safety Instructions
• KEEP GUARDS IN PLACE and in working order.
• REMOVE ADJUSTING KEYS AND WRENCHES. Form habit of checking to see that keys
and adjusting wrenches are removed from tool before turning it on.
• KEEP WORK AREA CLEAN. Cluttered areas and benches invite injuries.
• DON'T USE IN DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENT. Don't use power tools in damp or wet
locations, or expose them to rain. Keep work area well lighted.
• KEEP CHILDREN AWAY. All visitors should be kept safe distance from work area.
• MAKE WORKSHOP KID PROOF with padlocks, master switches, or by removing starter
• DON'T FORCE TOOL. It will do the job better and safer at the rate for which it was
• USE RIGHT TOOL. Don't force tool or attachment to do a job for which it was not designed.
• USE PROPER EXTENSION CORD. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition.
When using and extension cord, be sure to use one heavy enough to carry the current your
product will draw. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of
power and overheating. The following table shows the correct size to use depending on
cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gage. The
smaller the gage number, the heavier the cord.
Printed in Taiwan
Copyright©2000 Black & Decker
ADAPTER-(NOT APPLICABLE IN CANADA)
• OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS. When tool is used outdoors, use only extension
cords intended for use outdoors and so marked.
• WEAR PROPER APPAREL. Do not wear loose clothing, gloves, neckties, rings, bracelets,
or other jewelry which may get caught in moving parts. Nonslip footwear is recommended.
Wear protective hair covering to contain long hair.
• ALWAYS USE SAFETY GLASSES. Also use face or dust mask if cutting operation is dusty.
Everyday eyeglasses only have impact resistant lenses, they are NOT safety glasses.
• DON'T OVERREACH. Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• MAINTAIN TOOLS WITH CARE. Keep tools sharp and clean for best and safest per-
formance. Follow instructions for changing accessories.
• DISCONNECT TOOLS before servicing; when changing accessories, such as blades, bits,
cutters, and the like.
• REDUCE THE RISK OF UNINTENTIONAL STARTING. Make sure switch is in off position
before plugging in.
• USE RECOMMENDED ACCESSORIES. Consult the instruction manual for recommended
accessories. The use of improper accessories may cause risk of injury to persons.
• NEVER STAND ON TOOL. Serious injury could occur if the tool is tipped or if the cutting
tool is unintentionally contacted.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS. Before further use of the tool, a guard or other part that is
damaged should be carefully checked to determine that it will operate properly and perform
its intended function–check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving parts,
breakage of parts, mounting, and any other conditions that may affect its operation. A guard
or other part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced.
• NEVER LEAVE TOOL RUNNING UNATTENDED. TURN POWER OFF. Don't leave tool
until it comes to a complete stop.
ADDITIONAL SAFETY RULES FOR BENCH GRINDERS
• Always use proper guard with grinding wheel. A guard protects operator from broken
• Accessories must be rated for at least the speed recommended on the tool warning
label. Wheels and other accessories running over the rated speed can fly apart and cause
• Before using, inspect recommended accessory for cracks or flaws. If such a crack or flaw is
evident, discard the accessory. DO NOT USE A GRINDING WHEEL THAT IS CRACKED
OR FLAWED IN ANY WAY.
• When starting the tool, let it run for one minute. Never start the tool with a person in line with
the wheel. This includes the operator.
• Do not grind on the sides of grinding wheels unless they are specifically designed for that
• Do not overtighten wheel clamp nut. This may crack the grinding wheel.
• Clean the cavity around the grinding wheel periodically.
• Secure grinder to work bench or stand with clamps or mounting hardware. Secure work
bench or stand to floor.
• Make sure your fingers do not contact the terminals of the power cord when installing or
removing the plug to or from the line power source.
• DO NOT OPERATE THIS TOOL NEAR FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS, GASES OR DUST.
Sparks or hot chips from grinding may ignite combustible materials.
WARNING: Some dust created by power sanding, sawing, grinding, drilling, and other
construction activities contains chemicals known to cause cancer, birth defects or other
reproductive harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:
• lead from lead-based paints,
• crystalline silica from bricks and cement and other masonry products, and
• arsenic and chromium from chemically-treated lumber. (CCA)
Your risk from these exposures varies, depending on how often you do this type of work. To
reduce your exposure to these chemicals: work in a well ventilated area, and work with
approved safety equipment, such as those dust masks that are specially designed to filter out
The label on your tool may include the following symbols.
.......................... Class II Construction
........................safety alert symbol
1. MEDIUM GRINDING WHEEL (60 GRIT) /MEULE À GRAINS MOYENS (NO 60) / RUEDA DE
ESMERIL, MEDIA (GRANO 60)
2. COARSE GRINDING WHEEL (36 GRIT) / MEULE À GROS GRAINS (NO 36) / RUEDA DE
ESMERIL, GRUESA (GRANO 36)
3. INTEGRATED LIGHTS / LAMPES INTÉGRÉES / LUCES INTEGRADAS
4. EYE SHIELDS / PROTÈGE-YEUX / PANTALLAS PROTECTORAS DE OJOS
5. TOOL RESTS / APPUIS / SOPORTES DE LA HERRAMIENTA
6. SWITCH (ON-OFF) / INTERRUPTEUR DE MARCHE / ARRÊT / INTERRUPTOR
7. MOUNTING HOLES / ORIFICES DE MONTAGE / HUECOS DE MONTAJE
Minimum Gage for Cord Sets
Total Length of Cord in Feet
American Wire Gage
n o ........................no load speed
.../min ..................revolutions or