Management of the RAID system
When setting up the RAID system, set the write cache of the RAID controller as follows (see
the additional documentation of Adaptec):
• Write Caching - Enable with Backup Unit
• create RAID via: Build/Verify
Password protection for Hardware RAID setup
In order to prevent access to the Adaptec Option ROM, follow these steps:
• Set the supervisor password in the BIOS setup, "Security > Set Supervisor Password"
• Disable the keyboard operation during the BIOS self test (POST) in the BIOS setup,
"Security > Option ROM keyboard" menu.
Comments about faults
The data is synchronized in the case of a hard disk failure. The system response may be
delayed depending on the processor and hard disk loads. In extreme cases, the execution of
keyboard, mouse or touch screen commands may be briefly delayed.
The result may be faulty operations of the machine or plant.
• Do not operate any safety-relevant functions during a hard disk failure.
• Always replace the defective drive with a new one of the same type and capacity.
Replacing a faulty RAID system drive
Replace the faulty drive with a new drive of the same type and capacity to return to the safe
RAID1 or RAID5 state after a fault.
The diagnostic software indicates the following:
● A defective drive
● Details of the functioning hard disk
The defective hard disk is displayed with port number.
The following figures and notes apply only to the delivery state of the device without any
changes or expansions.
SIMATIC IPC647D/847D Hardware RAID Configuration
Compact Operating Instructions, 08/2014, A5E34655907-AA
Commissioning the device
3.3 SAS Hardware RAID system