Periodic maintenance and adjustment
Cleaning the air filter element
The air filter element should be cleaned
at the intervals specified in the periodic
maintenance and lubrication chart.
Clean or, if necessary, replace the air
filter element more frequently if you are
riding in unusually wet or dusty areas.
1. Remove the seat. (See page 4-8.)
2. Remove the air filter case cover by
removing the screw.
1. Air filter case cover
3. Pull the sponge material out, clean
it with solvent, and then squeeze
the remaining solvent out.
1. Sponge material
4. Apply oil of the recommended
type to the entire surface of the
squeeze the excess oil out.
The sponge material should be wet but
Yamaha foam air filter oil or other
quality foam air filter oil
5. Insert the sponge material into the
air filter case. NOTICE: Make
sure that the sponge material is
properly seated in the air filter
case. The engine should never
be operated without the sponge
material installed, otherwise the
piston(s) and/or cylinder(s) may
6. Install the air filter case cover by
installing the screw.
7. Install the seat.