MODEL JH-3500U Solar Power Conditioner INSTALLATION & JH-3500 ) OPERATOR’S MANUAL Grid - Interactive 1-Phase Inverter for Photovoltaic System Ver.1.0 Page • Notice for Users in the USA ......... i FCC Statement ............i • IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS ....ii •...
Notice for Users in the USA FCC Statement WARNING - FCC Regulations state that any unauthorized changes or modifications to this equipment not expressly approved by the manufacturer could void the user’s authority to operate this equipment. Note: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS This manual contains important safety instructions for JH-3500U that shall be followed during the installation and maintenance of the solar power conditioner. To reduce the risk of electrical shock, and to ensure the safe installation and operation of the solar power conditioner, the following words appear throughout this manual to inform you of or alert you something may cause dangerous situation or safety instructions must be followed.
Features Standard features of the solar power conditioner are: • High output power inverter with HF transformer. The solar power conditioner has a maximum output power of 3.5kW at ambient temperatures up to 40°C. The maximum input from PV array is 4.5kW. And the solar power conditioner is equipped with a high frequency (HF) transformer to isolate the PV array and the grid.
Display PV Module The JH-3500U incorporates anti islanding protection and meets the requirements of UL 1741, which ensures the customer of the safest PV power generation possible. The JH-3500U includes an internal ground fault detector interupter (GFDI) in compliance with NEC 690 building code requirements.
Required Condition for Grid-connected Operation The solar power conditioner meets the following requirements for connection to the grid: 1. Islanding Protection The power conditioner will shut down if the power from the grid becomes abnormal or fails. This will provide safety to the people working on power lines and protect the home circuits and power conditioner.
Overview of Each Component Solar Power Conditioner 11.4 DC Terminal Block for PV string DC Input Switch Display Jack GFDI (Ground Fault Detector Interrupter) Fuse AC Terminal Block...
Solar Power Conditioner Display 51.6 45.6 136.8 46.0 SOLAR POWER CONDITIONER DISPLAY POWER BACK DISPLAY LIGHT MODE RESET 12.0 45.8 57.8 32.8 (unit:mm) Name of Parts LCD DISPLAY PANEL SOLAR POWER CONDITIONER DISPLAY POWER POWER BACK DISPLAY BUTTON LIGHT MODE RESET RESET BUTTON...
• All electrical work should be done in accordance with local and national electrical codes ANSI/NFPA70. • Connecting the solar power conditioner to the grid should only be done after receiving prior approval from the power company and performed only by a Sharp certified installer. CAUTION •...
Required tools or items Besides the supplied items on the previous page, the following tools or items are necessary. Tools: • Measuring tape (longer than 1 m) • Screw drivers Phillips and Flat-head • Electric driver Torque: 0.78~3.4 N.m • Nipper •...
2. Attach the bracket to the wall. A hole allocated on the upper side of the horizontal center is for hanging the bracket. Tighten included screw which is intended for hanging it on the wall (not completely tighten, some spacing to hang the bracket is needed). This screw does not need the flat washer. And then, hang the bracket to the screw.
7. Seal the space between the mounting bracket and the wall with modified silicone sealant. Sealing Sealing Sealing 8. Tighten A screw removed on step 3 through the lower hook of the bracket. 9. Confirm that the solar power conditioner is installed securely.
Electrical Connection The solar power conditioner is the inverter to be connected to both the PV modules and the grid (AC 240 volt, 60Hz). Connections must be performed according to the electrical wiring diagram below: Photovoltaic Module Main AC Solar load Power center...
· Grounding terminal must be connected to the solar power conditioner and the AC load center. Ask SHARP authorized dealer for PV modules or the AC&DC disconnects if necessary. 3. Confirm that breaker on the DC disconnect is in OFF status. If it is in ON status, turn it to OFF status.
Wiring Solar Power Conditioner WARNING • All the procedures must be performed by a certified installer. • Wiring the solar power conditioner and the DC disconnect enclosure, or the AC load center (or the AC disconnect enclosure) must be performed with conduit. Also, the wiring of the solar power conditioner to the solar power conditioner display should be safe from abrasion, moisture, heat, UV, and other elements of risk.
Before Wiring Remove the front panel of the solar power conditioner. 1. Unscrew 4 screws, then, remove the lower part of the front panel of the solar power conditioner. 2. Two openings are available for DC disconnect. Choose which openings to use, and remove the end cap of the opening.
Connecting to DC Disconnect This section describes the connection between the solar power conditioner and the DC disconnect. The distribution of the connection are the output cables from the PV string (maximum three pairs of cables) and a grounding cable from the DC disconnect.
5. Return to step 3 for the negative cable (white) to connect to the negative terminal of the terminal block 1. If the polarity is reversed, the solar power conditioner cannot operate. 6. The next pair of cables should be connected to next left terminal block. Return to step 3 to connect the cables.
Connecting to AC Disconnect This section describes the connection between the solar power conditioner and the AC disconnect. The distribution of the connection is the AC output cable from the solar power conditioner (one paired cable) and the grounding cable. ollow all WARNING and CAUTION of Wiring Solar Power Conditioner (page 13).
5. Connect a grounding cable to the leftmost G terminal of the AC terminal block, and tighten the screw firmly to crimp the wire. 6. Confirm that all the cables are correctly and firmly connected to the terminals of the solar power conditioner.
Installing Solar Power Conditioner Display Follow all WARNING and CAUTION on Location of Installation Instructions (page 6). WARNING • Do not install the display outdoors, as it may be damaged leading to smoking or fire. CAUTION • Signal cable of the display should not be cut or fastened, as it may cause malfunction. •...
6. Insert the cable into the slot. SETTING ENTRY SELECT Slot 7. Insert the smaller 4-pin connector of the cable to the connector in the display. (listen for clicking sound that ensures it is locked in place). Installing Display in a Socket Box If you want to install the display on a wall, refer to Installing Display onto a Wall .
Installing Display on a Wall If you want to install the display in a socket box, refer to Installing Display in a Socket Box . 1. Tighten the included two screws for the display into the wall (not completely tighten, leave some spacing to hook the display).
Test Running CAUTION Confirm the following before testing • All terminals are securely connected. • All wires are connected. • The exposed conductors have no short circuits. • All the cables are joined and fixed in place with the cable ties. •...
Test Running 1. Turn on all the DC wiring switches, and confirm that “d-47” is displayed on the LCD display. If “d- 47” is not displayed, the DC connections are incorrect. Check the polarity of all the DC wiring. 2. Turn off the AC&DC disconnect switches, and wait for 5 minutes to avoid the risk of electric shock.
Changing Operating Parameter CAUTION The following operation includes the changing of the trip points of voltage or frequency. Never open the front cover of the solar power conditioner display except by an authorized installer. • To change the trip points, follow the instructions below. •...
4. To change the parameter number, press “SELECT”. 5. When the target parameter number is displayed, press “SETTING” to change its value. Only parameter numbers 1,2,7,9,11,12 can be changed.
6. When finished to changing all the target parameter values, press “ENTRY” to save the values. 7. When finished, slide the both dip switches to INV position. 9. Reinstall the front cover of the display.
Parameter and its Description Parameter Parameter Description Parameter value Number AC over voltage AC under voltage AC over/under voltage stop time AC over frequency (60.5) AC under frequency -0.7 (59.3) AC over/under frequency stop time Reversion timer AC voltage suppression function Islanding protection level AC voltage suppression level PV system maximum output power...
Trouble Shooting Display Check point Countermeasure Wait until utility recovers from blackout. F-01 Power failure GRID OFF Confirm AC Disconnect Switch If AC Disconnect Switch is OFF, turn it ON. is turned on. Confirm the dedicated breaker If the dedicated breaker of the distribution board of the distribution board is is OFF, turn it ON.
Specification Model JH-3500U Maximum system voltage (DC) 380 V Rated input voltage (DC) 240 V 110 V to 350 V Range of operating DC voltage (DC) Maximum array short circuit current (DC) 10 A Maximum operating current (DC) 22.5 A (7.5A for a DC input × 3)
SHARP CORPORATION Printed in Japan Doc. NO. 0000...