Preventing Damage from Freezing
The heater and piping can be damaged if cold temperatures cause water to freeze inside the
unit. The damage can be prevented with the following method:
Normal cold [
outside temperatures between 0°C - 10°C with no wind
At these temperatures, the units have freeze prevention heaters that will prevent freezing.
* Do not disconnect the power. The freeze prevention heaters will not work if the power
* The freeze prevention will work regardless of whether the operation button on the remote
controller has been turned on.
When the temperature drops, the freeze-prevention
heaters are automatically activated to keep the unit
warm and prevent it from freezing.
For severely cold temperatures
Run water to prevent freezing.
1. Turn the unit on with the Power Button on the Remote Controller.
2. Close the gas supply valve.
3. Open a hot water fixture and let it run for approx. 1 minute, and
then check that the number 11 or F11 is flashing on the remote
* If multiple units are being used, drain each unit for approx.1
* It is possible that a different number may be displayed on the
remote controller, but as long as it is flashing,
you may continue.
4. Adjust a hot water fixture, and keep a small
amount of hot water running.
(0.4L/minute or about 4mm thick.)
* If there is a mixing valve, set it to the highest level.
* When linking multiple units, discharge water
equivalent to 0.4L/minute per unit.
5. The flow may become unstable from time to time. Check the
flow 30 minutes later.
If water will not flow because it is frozen
1. Close the gas and water valves.
2. Turn off the operation button.
3. Open the water supply valve from time to time to check whether water is running.
4. When the water is flowing again, check for water leaks from the equipment and piping, or
follow steps 1 through 4 on P9 ("Initial Operation").
• If the heater or the piping is frozen, do not use the heater, or it may become damaged.
• Repairs for damage caused by freezing, is not covered by the warranty.
PREVENTING DAMAGE FROM FREEZING
The freeze prevention heaters will not
prevent the plumbing external to the
unit from freezing. Protect this
plumbing with insulation. If you are
still worried that your heater will
freeze, contact the nearest Andrews
Water Heaters agent.
outside temperature including wind chill
of less than -10°C
Hot Water Fixture
• This method can be
applied not only to the
heater, but also to the
water supply, water
piping and mixing
• Remember that if the
mixing valve is set to
the maximum level,
there is a risk of
• If freezing still might
occur, drain the water
from the unit following
the steps on P19.