Hitachi Charger, Model UC 18SD 2. MARKETING OBJECTIVE The Model UC 18SD is an inexpensive 18 V-only charger that has been developed to promote sales of our low- cost cordless tools. It is designed to charge the Hitachi type EB 1812S rechargeable battery.
Salespersons must be thoroughly familiar with the contents of the Handling Instructions in order to give pertinent advice to the customer. (1) Never charge Hitachi 7.2 V, 9.6 V, 12 V, 14.4 V and 24 V rechargeable batteries with the Model UC 18SD Charger: The UC 18SD is a charger to be used exclusively for the EB 1812S battery.
This condition is common to all existing chargers (both Hitachi's and competitor's models) which employ temperature sensitive devices to terminate charging. The cooling period required before charging varies from a few minutes to about 30 minutes, depending on the length of time the battery was used and the ambient temperature.
7. REFERENCE MATERIAL 7-1. Structure (1) The outer casing consists of Case (A) and Case (B). A light bar for the Pilot Lamp is built into Case (A). (2) Electronic components which provide rapid charging and prevent overcharging are mounted on the Printed Circuit Board.
8-2. Reassembly Reassembly can be accomplished by following the disassembly procedures in reverse. However, particular attention should be given to the following points. (1) Solder the lead wires of the Cord  after passing their stripped end portions through the holes of the Printed Circuit Board Ass'y  and bending them securely.
9. TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE 9-1. Failure During Charging Failure Pilot lamp off, charger does To Failure Mode (A) not go on. Pilot lamp on, charger does To Failure Mode (B) not go off. Abnormal heat is generated. To Failure Mode (C) (1) Failure Mode (A) steps and repair procedures Pilot Lamp on, Defective Charger...
(2) Failure Mode (B) steps and repair procedures Pilot lamp on, charger does not go off. Is the temperature range Charge at appropriate appropriate for charging? temperature. 10 C --- 40 C (50 F --- 104 F) 10 C --- 40 C (50 F --- 104 F) Is the resistance between...
(3) Failure Mode (C) steps and repair procedures Abnormal heat is generated. Does the pilot lamp go off To Failure Mode (B) after completion of charging? Is the heat Battery generated by Replace battery. the battery or Warming of the battery in the the charger? final stage of charging is normal.
10. STANDARD REPAIR TIME (UNIT) SCHEDULES Variable 60 min. MODEL Fixed Work Flow UC 18SD General Assembly Light Bar Case (A).(B) Fuse (6.3 A) Printed Circuit Board Ass'y Transformer 120V Cord --- 10 ---...