Preventing static electricity
1. Grounding to prevent damage by static electricity
Electrostatic discharge (ESD), which occurs when static electricity stored in the body, fabric, etc. is discharged,
can destroy the laser diode in the traverse unit (optical pickup). Take care to prevent this when performing repairs.
2. About the earth processing for the destruction prevention by static electricity
In the equipment which uses optical pick-up (laser diode), optical pick-up is destroyed by the static electricity of
the work environment.
Be careful to use proper grounding in the area where repairs are being performed.
2-1 Ground the workbench
Ground the workbench by laying conductive material (such as a conductive sheet) or an iron plate over
it before placing the traverse unit (optical pickup) on it.
2-2 Ground yourself
Use an anti-static wrist strap to release any static electricity built up in your body.
3. Handling the optical pickup
1. In order to maintain quality during transport and before installation, both sides of the laser diode on the
replacement optical pickup are shorted. After replacement, return the shorted parts to their original condition.
(Refer to the text.)
2. Do not use a tester to check the condition of the laser diode in the optical pickup. The tester's internal power
source can easily destroy the laser diode.
4. Handling the traverse unit (optical pickup)
1. Do not subject the traverse unit (optical pickup) to strong shocks, as it is a sensitive, complex unit.
2. Cut off the shorted part of the flexible cable using nippers, etc. after replacing the optical pickup. For specific
details, refer to the replacement procedure in the text. Remove the anti-static pin when replacing the traverse
unit. Be careful not to take too long a time when attaching it to the connector.
3. Handle the flexible cable carefully as it may break when subjected to strong force.
4. It is not possible to adjust the semi-fixed resistor that adjusts the laser power. Do not turn it.
Attention when traverse unit is decomposed
Because the DVD/ CD mechanism assembly of this model is a
unit component, the individual component parts consisting of
the DVD / CD mechanism assembly are not supplied
If you need to decompose the traverse unit, short-circuit the
connector of the flexible board by using a metal clip and the like
prior to decomposing the traverse unit.
Anti-static wrist strap
(conductive sheet) or iron plate
DVD / CD unit
DVD / CD