STEP 1. PREPARE FOR
The CT54 Thermostat controls 2-wire, 15 Vac to 30 Vac,
gas, oil or electric heating-only systems.
The CT54 Thermostat is not suitable for:
• cooling systems
• heating-cooling systems
• 3-wire electric heating systems
If you are unsure which thermostat model is right for your
system, visit www.honeywell.com/yourhome or call
Honeywell Customer Care at 1-800-468-1502.
1. Check that the following components are included:
• Two one-inch screws
• Installation Instructions
2. Required tools:
• Slotted screwdriver
• Drill bit (1/16 in.)
• Needle nose pliers
STEP 2. REMOVE OLD
1. Turn power off to the system at the furnace or at
the fuse/circuit breaker panel.
2. If the cover does not easily pull off, remove any
screws that may fasten the cover to the thermostat.
® U.S. Registered Trademark
Copyright © 2003 Honeywell International Inc. •
3. Locate the heat anticipator scale and the heat
anticipator lever on the old thermostat (see Fig. 1).
TYPICAL LOCATION OF HEAT
ANTICIPATOR SCALE AND LEVER
Fig. 1. Heat anticipator on old thermostat (example).
4. Record the number that the heat
anticipator lever points to on the heat
NOTE: If you cannot find the heat anticipator setting on
your thermostat, you can use a standard setting
for your type of system when you reach Step 5.
Set Heat Anticipator On New Thermostat.
5. Remove the screw or screws that hold the thermo-
stat to the wall and pull the thermostat away from
6. Remove the two wires from the old thermostat and
wrap them around a pencil to keep them from fall-
ing back into the wall (see Fig. 2). If there are more
than two wires connected to your old thermostat,
do not remove the wires. Visit www.honey-
well.com/yourhome or call 1-800-468-1502 for fur-
ther assistance with the installation.
Fig. 2. Pull wires through wall opening.
• All Rights Reserved
OLD THERMOSTAT HEAT
HEAT ANTICIPATOR LEVER