Summary of Contents for Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4X
EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Instructions...
Thank you for purchasing a Canon product. Equipped with a 1.4x internal extender and Image 7. Manual focusing is available after the subject Stabilizer, the Canon EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM comes into focus in autofocus mode (ONE Extender 1.4x is a high-performance telephoto SHOT AF).
Safety Precautions Safety Precautions Handling Cautions If the lens is taken from a cold environment into a ● ● Do not look at the sun or a bright light source ● ● warm one, condensation may develop on the lens through the lens or camera.
Safety Precautions This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. This Class B digital apparatus complies with Canadian Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This ICES-003. device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
2. Setting the Focus Mode 3. Switching the Focusing Distance Range To shoot in autofocus (AF) mode, set the focus mode switch to AF. You can set the focusing distance range with a To shoot in manual focus (MF) mode, set the switch.
4. AF Stop Button The AF stop function also works in AI Servo AF mode. Angle positioning of the AF stop button is adjustable by a Canon Service Center at cost. With the EOS 630/600, RT, A2/A2E/5, or 10S/10 ● ●...
5. Focus Preset By presetting any focusing distance, you can instantly focus at that point even while you are shooting a different subject. This function operates in any of the AF, PF, and MF modes. < How to Set > Set the focus preset switch Press the shutter button Press the focus preset...
Focus Preset < How to Focus at the Preset Distance > After the focus distance has been preset, turning ● ● the playback ring to a different zoom position or changing the internal extender setting will result in an out of focus picture. Therefore, use the focus preset function after zooming is completed and the internal extender has been set.
6. Power Focus (PF) Mode Using the playback ring enables smooth focus change. This is a useful feature for changing focus when shooting movies. With the focus preset switch set to OFF, set the focus mode Rotate the playback ring to switch to PF.
7. Zooming To zoom, rotate the zoom ring. Be sure to finish zooming before focusing. Zooming after focusing can affect the focus. ENG-11...
8. Image Stabilizer You can use the image stabilizer in AF, PF, or MF mode. Also, the Image Stabilizer can be used regardless of the internal extender setting (either 1x or 1.4x). Set the STABILIZER switch Select the stabilizer mode. First press the shutter to ON.
9. Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer The image stabilizer for this lens is effective for hand-held shots in the following conditions. MODE 1 MODE 2 ● ● In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or When panning subjects in motion. ●...
Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer Using a tripod also stabilizes the image. The Image Stabilizer cannot compensate for a ● ● ● ● However, depending on the kind of tripod and blurred shot caused by a subject that moved. shooting conditions, sometimes it may be better Set the STABILIZER switch to OFF when you ●...
10. Internal Extender Switch The extender switch lever allows you to set the focal distance of the lens to 1.4x. Slide the extender switch Use the extender switch Slide the extender switch lock toward the front of the lever to select a focal lock toward the back of the lens.
The internal extender installed in this lens can only be used under certain conditions depending on the type of EOS camera used. Please use the information below to determine which group your camera belongs to and follow the applicable instructions before use. ●...
Precautions for Using the Internal Extender Please do not move the internal extender switch in any of the following situations or when the camera ● ● is in operation. Doing so will cause the camera or lens to malfunction. ● • When the shutter button is pressed half way down.
11. Infinity Compensation 12. Hood Mark Infinity compensation mark Lock knob The special hoods that come with all these Distance index lenses cut out unwanted light and protect the To compensate for shifting of the infinity focus front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. point that results from changes in temperature.
13. Fitting the Lens Cap Reverse the lens hood, slip Lift the hook and loop With the lock knob at the it over the lens, and tighten fastener, and fit the cap so opening in the cap, close the lock knob to fix it in that the lock knob rides up the fastener to fix the cap in place.
14. Case Lock knob Hinge Strap Lever Keyhole Put the lens away as follows. Fold the strap and fit it into the space near the case levers. Reverse the lens hood, slip it over the lens, Fasten the lens securely with the strap. and attach the lens cap.
The slot is located under the cover Replacement with the included monopod mount for the orientation locking knob. can be done at a Canon Service Center at cost. A wire-type security lock can be purchased Since the mount requires special fastening, as separately.
17. Drop-In Filters A 52(WII)-series drop-in gelatin filter holder with <Using a Gelatin Filter> a glass filter is included with the lens. The drop- in filter holder can be used fitted with a gelatin filter (sold separately). 14mm 14mm 47mm 47mm <Installing and Removing>...
18. Extenders (Sold Separately) Lens specifications when using extender EF1.4x II/III or EF2x II/III are as follows. When the internal extender is set at 1x Extender EF1.4x II/III Extender EF2x II/III WIDE TELE WIDE TELE Focal length (mm) Aperture f/5.6-45 f/5.6-45 f/8-64 f/8-64...
Extenders (Sold Separately) Attach the extender to the lens, and then attach the lens to the camera. To remove it, reverse the order. ● ● Errors may occur if you attach the extender to the camera first. When using this lens when shooting with EOS A2/A2E/5, use –0.5 step exposure compensation when using ●...
AF cannot be used. Therefore, please use manual focus (MF). However, AF can be used by updating your camera’s firmware. Please check the Canon website for information about firmware updates. The Image Stabilizer function can be used. The Image Stabilizer function cannot be used with the cameras* listed on the following page.
20. Extension Tubes Camera/Extender Compatibility Chart (Sold Separately) *1: EOS-1D Mark II, EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II N, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, You can attach extension tube EF12 II or EF25 EOS-1V/HS, EOS-3 II for magnified shots. The shooting distance *2: EOS650, EOS620, EOS750, and magnification are shown below.
The Close-up Lenses 250D and 500D cannot be attached. ● ● Aperture settings are specified on the camera. ● ● All data listed is measured according to Canon standards. ● ● Product specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice. ● ●...