CanoScan Toolbox U s e r ’ s G u i d e f o r M a c i n t o s h...
Trademarks CanoScan is a trademark of Canon, Inc. Macintosh, Power Macintosh, Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Computer Inc. registered in the United States and other countries. iMac is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc. Adobe, Adobe Photoshop are trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated.
Table of Contents Introduction ........................4 About the CanoScan Toolbox ......................4 Obtaining Customer Support ......................4 Installing the CanoScan Toolbox ..................5 System Requirements........................5 Installing the CanoScan Toolbox ..................... 5 Starting CanoScan Toolbox - with Start Buttons ............6 Starting CanoScan Toolbox - with Double-clicking the icon ........7 Selecting the Scanner ......................7 Scanning ...........................8 Saving Scanned Images ....................8...
CanoScan Toolbox so you can edit, fax, copy or integrate the image into other applications. Obtaining Customer Support If you are having problems setting up or running the CanoScan Toolbox CS, contact the Canon help desk at one of the following locations: CANON DANMARK CANON SINGAPORE PTE.
2. Installing the CanoScan Toolbox System Requirements The following indicates the minimum CanoScan Toolbox system requirements: Computers: Power Macintosh which standardly equips the proper interface for connection with the scanner (Macintosh compatibles are not supported) System: Mac OS 8.5 or later Memory Requirements: 32 MB or more (64 MB or more recommended) Hard Disk Space:...
Pressing the Start Button on front of the scanner or the Film Scan Button on the document cover, CanoScan Toolbox starts and the Canon Scanner Assistant will be displayed. Pressing the Start Button on front of the scanner shows the assistant for scanning the photos or documents from the platen while pressing the Film Scan Button on the document cover shows the assistant for scanning the films from the film adapter unit.
You may also display the toolbar with selecting [Show CanoScan Toolbox Toolbar before scanning] option in the Canon Scanner Assistant. To disappear the toolbar, click the close button on the top-left.(Click [CanoScan Toolbox] from the [Window] menu to re-display the toolbar.) On the toolbar, there are buttons to execute the functions.
Place the photo, document or film on the scanner as indicated in the scanner documentation. Select [Scan and Open the Image in Toolbox editor] option from the Canon Scanner Assistant, or click on the Scan button from the toolbar, or choose the New Scan command from the File menu.
8. Opening Files Opening a Stored File You can store image files that you have scanned as well as other image files using the CanoScan Toolbox. To open a stored file: Choose the Open Image command from the File menu, or click the Edit button in the CanoScan Toolbox toolbar.
Place the document you want to fax in the scanner. Press the Start Button on front of the scanner to start CanoScan Toolbox. Select [FAX] in the Canon Scanner Assistant dialog and click [Next]. Select either [Color Photo] or [Line Art] and click [Next].
Place the document or the film you want to copy in the scanner. Press the Start Button on front of the scanner to start CanoScan Toolbox. Select [Copy] in the Canon Scanner Assistant dialog and click [Next]. Select either [Color Photo] or [Line Art] and click [Next] (When you started CanoScan Toolbox with pressing the Start Button on front of the Scanner).
11. Enhancing a Scanned Image The CanoScan Toolbox provides a wide variety of imaging tools you can use to modify and enhance images you scan. Cropping a Scanned Image To crop an image: Open the image you want to crop by choosing Open Image from the File menu, or click the Scan button from the CanoScan Toolbox toolbar.
Inverting Image Tones Inverting image tones makes a negative of the image. To invert the tones in an image: Open the image you want to invert using the Open Image command from the File menu, or scan a new image by clicking on the Scan button. Choose the Invert command from the Image menu.
You can adjust the blue, red and yellow colors by moving the applicable slider to the left (to decrease) or the right (to increase). You adjust the color balance for specific color groups (i.e., modify the blue tones in the shadows of an image) by clicking on one of the radio buttons and then moving the Cyan slider.
Specify the percentage of sharpening you want in the Amount field. Enter a number in the Radius field to specify the distance (in pixels) from an edge you want to sharpen. A low number indicates sharpening close to the image edges, and a higher number indicates sharpening farther away.
12. Editing a Scanned Image CanoScan Toolbox provides a wide variety of editing commands and tools you can use to modify images. Resizing a Scanned Image Resizing an image changes the actual image size. To resize an image: Open the image you want to resize using the Open Image command from the File menu, or scan a new image by clicking on the Scan button.
Flipping a Scanned Image To flip an image or a selected portion of an image: Open the image you want to flip using the Open Image command from the File menu, or scan a new image by clicking on the Scan button. Choose Flip from the Image menu, then select Vertical or Horizontal from the Flip submenu.
Using Plug-in You can utilize CanoScan Toolbox effectively by using various image adjusting and enhancing functions of Plug-in Module CS. Refer to the Plug-in Module CS User’s Guide bundled with your scanner for its installation and functions. Using the Editing Commands The commands on the Edit menu allow you to cut, copy, paste, clear, select all, deselect, and set scanning preferences for images.
Using the Editing Tools The CanoScan Toolbox editing tools appear when you open an image. You can also control the palette display by using the Show/Hide Tools command from the Window menu. To use an editing tool, click on the desired tool and then move your cursor over the image window. Notice that the cursor changes shape to reflect the tool you have selected.
Using the Color Pallet The CanoScan Toolbox color pallet appears when you open an image. You can also control the palette display by using the Show/Hide Tools command from the Window menu. To select a color from the color pallet to use with the Fill, Air Brush, Freehand Paint or Pencil tools: Move your cursor over the desired color block and click.
13. Working with Catalogs Creating a Catalog CanoScan Toolbox Catalogs are designed to let you look through many image files as you use a photo album. When you open the catalog it displays all the images stored in the catalog in thumbnail form. To create a catalog: Choose New Catalog from the File menu, or click the Scan button to scan a new image.
The selected catalog window opens displaying the images you have stored in the catalog in thumb- nail form. Choose the View By command from the Image menu to sort the thumbnails by name, type, date or size. Printing the Catalog View You can print the open Catalog window to see all of the stored images in thumbnail format similar to a traditional photographic contact sheet.
14. Linking and Using the Applications You can link frequently used applications such as Optical Character Recognition (OCR), photo retouching and Email applications to the CanoScan Toolbox toolbar so you can access them from the CanoScan Toolbox. To link an application: Click on one of the Unassigned buttons in the CanoScan Toolbox toolbar.