Overview of Setup
These are the steps in printer installation.
Install the Printheads
Install the Ink Tanks
Install the Printer Driver and
the User Manual
Load Paper to Adjust the Printheads
• Even if you do not use the printer driver, be sure to install Media
Configuration Tool from the provided User Software CD-ROM.
With Media Configuration Tool, the paper types that are available
in your area can be registered to the printer. For instructions on
installation, refer to "Install the Printer Driver and the User Manual"
on page 4. (In Windows, select Install Individual Software in the
Setup Menu window to install Media Configuration Tool only.)
• We recommend doing a color calibration after completing the
setup to adjust variations in the colors.
Details for each step are given in this Setup Guide . Simply follow the instructions
to install the printer.
If an error message is displayed during setup or other problems occur, refer to
"Responding to Messages" on page 12.
After installing the printer as shown in this Setup Guide , refer to the
documentation for instructions on operation and maintenance.
The Basic Guide includes three booklets containing the following
1 Instructions on basic operation
2 Troubleshooting tips and maintenance procedures
3 Preparations for transferring the printer, and instructions for
reinstalling the printer driver
The User Manual (electronic manual) includes the following information:
• Printer operating instructions
• Printer driver instructions
• Printing instructions
• Maintenance procedures
• Instructions for network printing
The Paper Reference Guide (electronic manual) provides information
You can access the User Manual and Paper Reference Guide as follows:
• In Windows, double-click the iPFxxxx Support desktop icon. (iPFxxxx
represents the printer model.)
• In Mac OS X, click iPF Support, added to the Dock.
• Troubleshooting tips
• Printer menu descriptions
• Printer driver function details
• Specifications, details on
consumables and optional
accessories, and other
Read this manual before attempting to operate the printer.
Keep this manual in a handy location for future reference.
Space Required for Installation
With stand attached
• A space of 1300 mm in the front and 700 mm in the back are needed
to print from the front paper feed slot.
b. Spacer for borderless printing
c. 3-inch paper core attachment
d. Starter ink tanks
(Y, PC, C, PGY, GY, BK, PM, M,
MBK, R, G, B)
e. 2-inch paper holder stopper
f. 3-inch paper holder stopper
• Some of the items included in the package are not explained in this
Setup Guide, such as the spacer for borderless printing.
Keep these items in a safe place after setup because they are used in
various printing applications.
• For instructions on using items not described in this manual, refer to the
• A cable to connect the printer to a computer is not provided with the
• Canon, the Canon logo, and imagePROGRAF are trademarks or registered trademarks of CANON
• Microsoft and Windows are trademarks of Microsoft Corporation, registered in the U.S. and other
• Macintosh is a trademark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
• All other trademarks or registered trademarks described in this Setup Guide are the property of their
©CANON INC. 2010
Installation space (W x D x H mm)
1477 × 1770 × 644 mm
1477 × 1970 × 1291 mm
g. Roll holder
h. Set of printer documentation
i. Set of CD-ROMs
j. Setup Guide (this document)
k. Power cord
l. Printhead (x2)
m. Sample paper
Printed in JAPAN