• Depending on the version of operating systems and programs, some user interface instructions might not be applicable to your computer. • Documentation content is subject to change without notice. Lenovo makes constant improvements on the documentation of your computer, including this User Guide. To get the latest documentation, go to: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com...
Supported cards: • Secure Digital (SD) card • Secure Digital eXtended-Capacity (SDXC) UHS-1 card 6. SD-card slot* • Secure Digital High-Capacity (SDHC) UHS-1 card Note: Your computer does not support the content protection for recordable media (CPRM) feature for the SD card. 7.
Rear Send audio signals from the computer to external devices, such as powered stereo speakers, headphones, or multimedia keyboards. To connect a stereo system or other external recording device, connect a cable between the audio line-in connector of the device and the audio line-out connector of the computer. 1.
Connect to a local area network (LAN). When the green indicator is on, the 10. Ethernet connector computer is connected to a LAN. When the yellow indicator blinks, data is being transmitted. Lock devices (such as the keyboard and the mouse) to your computer through a 11.
Features and specifications • Width: 100.0 mm (3.9 inches) Dimensions • Height: 270.0 mm (10.6 inches) • Depth: 303.5 mm (11.9 inches) Weight (without the package) Maximum configuration as shipped: 4.5 kg (9.9 lb) 1. Right-click the Start button to open the Start context menu. Hardware configuration 2.
• Card reader* • Memory slots • M.2 solid-state drive slot Expansion • Optical drive bay* • PCI-Express x1 card slot • PCI-Express x16 graphics card slot • Storage drive bay • Bluetooth* Network features • Ethernet LAN • Wireless LAN* * for selected models Statement on USB transfer rate Depending on many factors such as the processing capability of the host and peripheral devices, file...
Windows user interface Change account settings, lock the computer, or sign out from the current account. 1. Account Open the Documents folder, a default folder to save your received files. 2. Documents Open the Pictures folder, a default folder to save your received pictures. 3.
Access Control Panel • Open the Start menu and click Windows System ➙ Control Panel. • Use Windows Search. Launch an app • Open the Start menu and select the app you want to launch. • Use Windows Search. Connect to networks Your computer helps you connect to the world through a wired or wireless network.
Use multimedia Use your computer for business or entertainment with the devices (such as a camera, a monitor, or speakers). Use audio To enhance the audio experience, connect speakers, headphones, or a headset to the audio connector. Adjust the volume 1.
Your Bluetooth device and computer will automatically connect the next time if the two devices are in range of each other with Bluetooth turned on. You can use Bluetooth for data transfer or remote control and communication. Use the optical drive (for selected models) If your computer has an optical drive, read the following information.
Purchase accessories Lenovo has a number of hardware accessories and upgrades to help expand the capabilities of your computer. Options include memory modules, storage devices, network cards, power adapters, keyboards, mice, and more.
Note: You are responsible for evaluating, selecting, and implementing the locking device and security feature. Lenovo makes no comments, judgments, or warranties about the function, quality, or performance of the locking device and security feature. You can purchase computer locks from Lenovo.
Log in to your computer securely This section provides secure ways to log in to your computer with a password or your face. Use passwords Password types You can set the following passwords in UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) BIOS (Basic Input/ Output System) to prevent unauthorized access to your computer.
You should record your passwords and store them in a safe place. If you forget the passwords, contact a Lenovo-authorized service provider to have the passwords removed. Note: If the hard disk password is forgotten, Lenovo cannot remove the password or recover data from the storage drive.
3. Select Security ➙ Hard Disk Password ➙ Security Erase HDD Data and press Enter. 4. Select the storage drive you will recycle and press Enter. 5. A message is displayed, prompting you to confirm the operation. Select Yes and press Enter. The erasing process begins.
3. Select the desired setting and press Enter. 4. Press F10 or Fn+F10 to save the changes and exit. Chapter 4 Secure your computer and information...
Set the system date and time 1. Restart the computer. When the logo screen is displayed, press F1 or Fn+F1. 2. Select Main ➙ System Time & Date and press Enter. 3. Set the system date and time as desired. 4.
5. Press F10 or Fn+F10 to save the changes and exit. Enable or disable the ErP LPS compliance mode Lenovo computers meet the eco-design requirements of the ErP Lot 3 regulation. For more information, go https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/compliance/eco-declaration You can enable the ErP LPS compliance mode to reduce the consumption of electricity when the computer is off or in sleep mode.
Open the Vantage app to check the available update packages. If the latest UEFI BIOS update package is available, follow the on-screen instructions to download and install the package. • From the Lenovo Support Web site: 1. Go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com...
2. Download the flash BIOS update driver for the operating system version or the ISO image version (used to create a flash update disc). Then, download the installation instructions for the flash BIOS update driver you have downloaded. 3. Print the installation instructions and follow the instructions to update the BIOS. Recover from a BIOS update failure 1.
3. See Chapter 6 “Troubleshooting, diagnostics, and recovery” on page 27 to resolve the problem you are experiencing, run the diagnostic program, and recover your operating system. 4. If the problem persists, contact Lenovo. See Chapter 8 “Help and support” on page 59. Troubleshooting Use the troubleshooting information to find solutions to problems that have definite symptoms.
Startup problems Problem Solution • Ensure that the power cord is correctly connected to the rear of the computer and to a working electrical outlet. • If the computer has a secondary power switch on the rear of the The computer does not start up when you computer, ensure that it is switched on.
Audio problems Problem Solution • If you are using powered external speakers that have an On/Off control, ensure that: – The On/Off control is set to the On position. – The speaker power cable is connected to a properly grounded, functional ac electrical outlet.
Problem Solution • Connect the cable from the Ethernet connector to the RJ45 connector of the hub. • Enable the Ethernet LAN feature in UEFI BIOS. • Enable the Ethernet LAN adapter. 1. Go to Control Panel and view by large icons or small icons. 2.
Problem Solution • Enable the Bluetooth feature in UEFI BIOS. • Enable all Bluetooth devices. 1. Right-click the Start button to open the Start context menu. 2. Click Device Manager. Type the administrator password or provide confirmation if prompted. 3. Expand Bluetooth to display all Bluetooth devices. Right-click each Bluetooth device, and then click Enable device.
Performance problems Problem Solution Note: Depending on the volume of the storage drives and amount of data stored on the storage drives, the disk-defragmentation process might take up to several hours. 1. Close any open programs and windows. 2. Open the Start menu. Excessive fragmented files exist on the 3.
Storage drive problems Problem Solution • Ensure that the signal cables and power cables for all the storage drives are connected correctly. • Ensure that the computer is configured correctly to support the storage drives. Some or all storage drives are missing from –...
Problem Solution • Disable any background programs, such as AntiVirus or Desktop The playback is slow or choppy. Themes. • Ensure that video resolution is less than 1152 x 864 pixels. • Ensure that the disc is in the drive with the shiny side of the disc facing down.
Lenovo diagnostic tools For information about Lenovo diagnostic tools, go to: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/lenovodiagnosticsolutions Recovery This section introduces the recovery information of the Windows 10 operating system. Ensure that you read and follow the on-screen recovery instructions. The data on your computer might be deleted during the recovery process.
Windows recovery programs are damaged. If you did not create a recovery USB drive as a precautionary measure, you can contact Lenovo Customer Support Center and purchase one from Lenovo. For a list of the Lenovo Support phone numbers for your country or region, go to: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/supportphonelist Create a recovery USB drive Attention: The creation process deletes anything stored on the USB drive.
• From Windows Update: Note: The device drivers provided by Windows Update might not be tested by Lenovo. It is recommended that you get device drivers from Lenovo. 1. Open the Start menu.
If you intend on installing the CRU, Lenovo will ship the CRU to you. CRU information and replacement instructions are shipped with your product and are available from Lenovo at any time upon request. You might be required to return the defective part that is replaced by the CRU.
Replace a CRU Follow the replacement procedure to replace a CRU. Vertical stand Prerequisite Before you start, read Appendix A “Important safety information” on page 63 and print the following instructions. Replacement procedure 1. Remove any media from the drives and turn off all connected devices and the computer. 2.
4. Install the vertical stand. 5. Reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer. Computer cover Prerequisite Before you start, read Appendix A “Important safety information” on page 63 and print the following instructions. Before you open the computer cover, turn off the computer and wait several minutes until the computer is cool.
6. Remove the computer cover. 7. Install the computer cover. 8. Place the computer in an upright position. 9. Reinstall all the removed parts. Then, reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer. Note: If a locking device is available, use it to lock the computer. Front bezel Prerequisite Before you start, read Appendix A “Important safety information”...
Replacement procedure 1. Remove the computer cover. See “Computer cover” on page 41. 2. Remove the front bezel. 3. Install the front bezel. 4. Reinstall all the removed parts. Then, reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer.
Replacement procedure 1. Remove the computer cover. See “Computer cover” on page 41. 2. Replace the PCI-Express card according to your model: • For computers with a pre-assembled PCI-Express connector cable, do the following: a. Disconnect the PCI-Express connector cable. b.
a. Remove the PCI-Express card. b. Install the PCI-Express card. 3. Reinstall all the removed parts. Then, reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer. Optical drive Prerequisite Before you start, read Appendix A “Important safety information” on page 63 and print the following instructions.
4. Remove the optical drive. 5. Remove the optical drive bracket. 6. Install the optical drive bracket. M70c User Guide...
7. Install the optical drive. 8. Connect the signal and power cable to the new optical drive. 9. Reinstall all the removed parts. Then, reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer. Hard disk drive Prerequisite Before you start, read Appendix A “Important safety information” on page 63 and print the following instructions.
a. Remove the screw that secures the hard disk drive bracket. b. Remove the 3.5-inch hard disk drive and the bracket. c. Remove the 3.5-inch hard disk drive from the bracket. M70c User Guide...
d. Install the 3.5-inch hard disk drive into the bracket. e. Install the 3.5-inch hard disk drive and the bracket. f. Install the screw to secure the bracket. Chapter 7 CRU replacement...
• For computers with the 2.5-inch hard disk drive, do the following: a. Remove the screw that secures the hard disk drive bracket. b. Remove the 2.5-inch hard disk drive and the bracket. M70c User Guide...
c. Remove the 2.5-inch hard disk drive from the bracket. d. Install the 2.5-inch hard disk drive into the bracket. e. Install the 2.5-inch hard disk drive and the bracket. Chapter 7 CRU replacement...
f. Install the screw to secure the bracket. 6. Connect the signal cable and the power cable to the hard disk drive. 7. Reinstall all the removed parts. Then, reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer. Memory module Prerequisite Before you start, read Appendix A “Important safety information”...
2. Remove the front bezel. See “Front bezel” on page 42. 3. Remove the optical drive. See “Optical drive” on page 45. 4. Remove the hard disk drive. See “Hard disk drive” on page 47. 5. Remove a memory module. 6.
Your computer has a special type of memory that maintains the date, time, and settings for built-in features, such as parallel connector assignments (configurations). A coin-cell battery keeps this information active when you turn off the computer. The coin-cell battery normally requires no charging or maintenance throughout its life; however, no coin-cell battery lasts forever.
• Do not attempt to replace the Optane memory in the M.2 solid-state drive slot. Replacement of the Optane memory must be done by a Lenovo-authorized repair facility or technician. • The internal storage drive is sensitive. Inappropriate handling might cause damage and permanent loss of data.
a. Remove the M.2 solid-state drive. b. Install the M.2 solid-state drive. • For computers with the heat sink for the M.2 solid-state drive, do the following depending on the computer model: M70c User Guide...
a. Remove the heat sink with the bracket. b. Remove the heat sink. c. Remove the M.2 solid-state drive. Chapter 7 CRU replacement...
d. Install the M.2 solid-state drive. e. Install the heat sink. f. Install the heat sink with the bracket. 6. Reinstall all the removed parts. Then, reconnect the power cord and all disconnected cables to the computer. M70c User Guide...
• Setup Guide screen instructions to filter out the documentation you want. • This User Guide • Regulatory Notice Lenovo Support Web site with the latest support information of the following: • Drivers and software • Diagnostic solutions https://pcsupport.lenovo.com • Product and service warranty •...
Call Lenovo If you have tried to correct the problem yourself and still need help, you can call Lenovo Customer Support Center. Before you contact Lenovo Prepare the following before you contact Lenovo: 1. Record the problem symptoms and details: •...
• Lenovo hardware repair - If the problem is determined to be caused by Lenovo hardware under warranty, trained service personnel are available to provide the applicable level of service. • Engineering change management - Occasionally, there might be changes that are required after a product has been sold.
Note: If you notice these conditions with a product (such as an extension cord) that is not manufactured for or by Lenovo, stop using that product until you can contact the product manufacturer for further instructions, or until you get a suitable replacement.
Do not use them with any other products. For your safety, Lenovo provides a power cord with a grounded attachment plug to use with this product. To avoid electrical shock, always use the power cord and plug with a properly grounded outlet.
If you intend to use your PC in a country or region that is different from your ordering location, please purchase an additional Lenovo power cord for the country or region where the PC will be used. Refer to the power cord guide provided in our Web site, , for details.
Plugs and outlets DANGER If a receptacle (power outlet) that you intend to use with your computer equipment appears to be damaged or corroded, do not use the outlet until it is replaced by a qualified electrician. Do not bend or modify the plug. If the plug is damaged, contact the manufacturer to obtain a replacement.
If the coin-cell battery is not a CRU, do not attempt to replace the coin-cell battery. Replacement of the battery must be done by a Lenovo-authorized repair facility or technician. The Lenovo-authorized repair facilities or technicians recycle Lenovo batteries according to local laws and regulations.
computer, power adapter, and many accessories produce some heat during normal operation. Extended contact with the body could cause discomfort or, potentially, a skin burn. • Do not charge the battery or operate your computer, power adapter, or accessories near flammable materials or in explosive environments.
DANGER Connect and disconnect cables as described in the following procedures when installing, moving, or opening covers on this product or attached devices. To connect: To disconnect: 1. Turn everything OFF. 1. Turn everything OFF. 2. First, attach all cables to devices. 2.
Liquid crystal display (LCD) notice DANGER To avoid shock hazards: • Do not remove the covers. • Do not operate this product unless the stand is attached. • Do not connect or disconnect this product during an electrical storm. • The power cord plug must be connected to a properly wired and grounded power outlet. •...
2 can be dangerous due to excessive sound pressure levels. If your Lenovo computer came with headphones or earphones in the packaging, as a set, the combination of the headphones or earphones and the computer already complies with the specifications of EN 50332-1. If different headphones or earphones are used, ensure that they comply with EN 50332-1 (Clause 6.5...
For tips on how to minimize visual fatigue, please go to to visit https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/safecomp/ “Minimizing Visual Fatigue”. Tip-over hazard prevention notice The computer may cause harm to children if it is not located in an appropriate place. Follow the tips below to protect children from harm caused by the computer tipping over: •...
Static electricity prevention Static electricity, although harmless to you, can seriously damage computer components and options. Improper handling of static-sensitive parts can damage the part. When you unpack an option or CRU, do not open the static-protective packaging containing the part until the instructions direct you to install it. When you handle options or CRUs, or perform any work inside the computer, take the following precautions to avoid static-electricity damage: •...
The cause of a problem might be change in hardware, change in software, or any other actions that might have taken place. A log book can help you or a Lenovo technician determine the cause of a problem. • Back up your data on the storage drive regularly. You can restore the storage drive from a backup.
Clean the computer surface: Wipe it with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. Avoid applying liquids directly to the surface. Clean the keyboard: Wipe the keys one by one with a lint-free cloth dampened in mild soap and water. If you wipe several keys at a time, the cloth might hook onto an adjacent key and possibly damage it.
This chapter provides information about accessibility and ergonomics. Accessibility information Lenovo is committed to providing users who have hearing, vision, and mobility limitations with greater access to information and technology. You can get the most up-to-date accessibility information from https://www.lenovo.com/accessibility If you need additional support with the accessibility features, go to https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/...
Arm and hand position: If available, use chair arm rests or an area on your working surface to provide weight support for your arms. Keep your forearms, wrists, and hands in a relaxed and neutral (horizontal) position. Type with a soft touch without pounding the keys. Leg position: Keep your thighs parallel to the floor and your feet flat on the floor or on a footrest.
The LLW also is preinstalled on the computer. To access the LLW, go to the following directory: /opt/Lenovo If you cannot view the LLW either from the Web site or from your computer, contact your local Lenovo office or reseller to obtain a printed version of the LLW.
The full text of the system UK declaration of conformity is available at: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/compliance/uk-doc Lenovo cannot accept responsibility for any failure to satisfy the protection requirements resulting from a non-recommended modification of the product, including the installation of option cards from other manufacturers.
Lenovo encourages owners of information technology (IT) equipment to responsibly recycle their equipment when it is no longer needed. Lenovo offers a variety of programs and services to assist equipment owners in recycling their IT products. For information about recycling Lenovo products, go to: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/compliance/recycling...
If the battery needs to be replaced, contact your place of purchase or contact Lenovo for service. If you need to dispose of a lithium battery, insulate it with vinyl tape, contact your place of purchase or a waste-disposal operator, and follow their instructions.
Collect and recycle a disused Lenovo computer or monitor If you are a company employee and need to dispose of a Lenovo computer or monitor that is the property of the company, you must do so in accordance with the Law for Promotion of Effective Utilization of Resources.
European Union (EU) / United Kingdom (UK) RoHS This Lenovo product, with included parts (cables, cords, and so on) meets the requirements of EU Directive 2011/65/EU (as amended by Directive 2015/863/EU) and UK SI 2012 No. 3032 on the restriction of the use of certain hazardous substances in electrical and electronic equipment ("RoHS recast"...
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Supplier’s Declaration of Conformity The following information refers to ThinkCentre M70c, machine types: 11GJ, 11GK, 11GL, and 11GM. This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules.
• Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to which the receiver is connected. • Consult an authorized dealer or service representative for help. Lenovo is not responsible for any radio or television interference caused by using other than recommended cables and connectors or by unauthorized changes or modifications to this equipment. Unauthorized changes or modifications could void the user’s authority to operate the equipment.
Klasse B. Dieses Gerät ist berechtigt, in Übereinstimmung mit dem Deutschen EMVG das EG-Konformitätszeichen - CE - zu führen. Verantwortlich für die Konformitätserklärung nach Paragraf 5 des EMVG ist die Lenovo (Deutschland) GmbH, Meitnerstr. 9, D-70563 Stuttgart. Japan VCCI Class B compliance statement...
This product is subject to the United States Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and has an Export Classification Control Number (ECCN) of 5A992.c. It can be re-exported except to any of the embargoed countries in the EAR E1 country list. Lenovo product service information for Taiwan Taiwan precautionary vision statement 警語：使用過度恐傷害視力...
Lenovo encourages you to make efficient use of energy an integral part of your day-to-day operations. To help in this endeavor, Lenovo has preset a default power plan. To change the power plan, see “Set the power plan” on page 11.
Lenovo representative for information on the products and services currently available in your area. Any reference to a Lenovo product, program, or service is not intended to state or imply that only that Lenovo product, program, or service may be used. Any functionally equivalent product, program, or service that does not infringe any Lenovo intellectual property right may be used instead.
Actual results may vary. Users of this document should verify the applicable data for their specific environment. This document is copyrighted by Lenovo and is not covered by any open source license, including any Linux agreement(s) which may accompany software included with this product. Lenovo may update this document at any time without notice.