WL-520GU Wireless Router WL-520GU LAN1 LAN2 LAN3 LAN4 125M High Speed User Manual...
Product warranty or service will not be extended if: (1) the product is repaired, modified or altered, unless such repair, modification of alteration is authorized in writing by ASUS; or (2) the serial number of the product is defaced or missing.
Table of contents About this guide ... 4 How this guide is organized ... 4 Conventions used in this guide ... 5 Chapter 1: Knowing your wireless router Package contents ... 6 System requirements ... 6 Before you proceed ... 6 Hardware features ...
This guide contains the following parts: • Chapter 1: Knowing your wireless router This chapter provides information on the package contents, system requirements, hardware features, and LED indicators of the ASUS Wireless Router. • Chapter 2: Setting up the hardware This chapter provides instructions on setting up, accessing, and configuring the ASUS Wireless Router.
• Chapter 4: Configuring via the web GUI This chapter provides instructions on configuring the ASUS Wireless Router using its web graphics user interface (web GUI). • Chapter 5: Installing the utilities This chapter provides information on the utilities that are available from the support CD.
• An installed TCP/IP and Internet browser Before you proceed Take note of the following guidelines before installing the ASUS Wireless Router: • The length of the Ethernet cable that connects the device to the network (hub, ADSL/cable modem, router, wall patch) must not exceed 100 meters.
Install the device at least 0cms from a person to insure that the product is operated in accordance with the RF Guidelines for Human Exposure adopted by the Federal Communications Commission. Hardware features Front panel WL-520GU 125M High Speed Status indicators Status (Power)
Rear panel Status indicators Item EZSetup Restore LAN1-LAN4 DC In WL-50GU Description Press this button to launch the EZSetup utility. Press this button to restore the router’s system to its factory default settings. Connect RJ-45 Ethernet cables to these ports to establish LAN connection.
Bottom panel Item Air vents These vents provide ventilation to your router Mounting hooks Use the mounting hooks to mount your router on concrete or wooden surfaces using two roundhead screws. Note: For details on mounting your router on a wall or ceiling, refer to the section Mounting options on the next page of this user manual.
Mounting options Out of the box, the ASUS Wireless Router is designed to sit on a raised flat surface like a file cabinet or book shelf. The unit may also be converted for mounting to a wall or ceiling. To mount the ASUS Wireless Router: 1.
• For more details on EZSetup, refer to the section EZSetup in Chapter 4 of this user manual. Setting up a wired connection The ASUS Wireless Router is supplied with an Ethernet cable in the package. The wireless router has integrated auto-crossover function, so use either straight-through or crossover cable for wired connection.
. Connect an IEEE 80.11b/g/n compatible WLAN card. Refer to your wireless adapter user manual for wireless connection procedures. By default, the SSID of ASUS Wireless Router is “default” (in lower case), encryption is disabled and open system authentication is used.
. After establishing a wireless connection, launch a web browser. Notes: • You may also manually key in the router's default IP address (192.168.1.1) to launch the router's web interface. • For more details on configuring your wireless router using the web GUI, refer to Chapter 4: Configuring via the web GUI.
• Subnet Mask: 18.104.22.168 (same as the ASUS Wireless Router) • Gateway: 22.214.171.124 (IP address of the ASUS Wireless Router) • DNS: 126.96.36.199 (ASUS Wireless Router) or assign a known DNS server in your network WL-520GU Configuring the...
. If you want your computer to automatically obtain an IP address, click Obtain an IP address automatically then click OK. Otherwise, click Specify an IP address, then key in the IP address and Subnet Mask. Chapter 3: Configuring the clients WL-520GU...
4. Select Gateway tab, and key in New gateway then click Add. 5. Select the DNS configuration tab and click Enable DNS. Key in Host, Domain, and DNS Server Search Order, then click Add. . Click OK. WL-520GU Chapter 3: Configuring the clients...
• Select the type of network adapter installed in your system. • Set the router to assign IP address automatically. • Manually set up the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway. Chapter 3: Configuring the clients WL-520GU...
4. Select the DNS tab then click Add under the DNS Service Search Order and key in DNS. Windows 2000 ® 1. Click Start > Control Panel > Network and Dial-up Connection. Right-click Local Area Connection then click Properties. WL-520GU Chapter 3: Configuring the clients...
Use the following DNS server address: and key in the Preferred and Alternate DNS server. 5. Click OK when done. Windows ® 1. Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connection. Right-click Local Area Connection then select Properties. Chapter 3: Configuring the clients WL-520GU...
DNS server settings to be assigned automatically. Otherwise, select Use the following DNS server addresses: and key in the Preferred and Alternate DNS server. 5. Click OK when done. WL-520GU Chapter 3: Configuring the clients...
Note: You may also manually key in the router’s default IP address (192.168.1.1) to launch the router’s web interface. . On the login page, key in the default user name (admin) and password (admin). Chapter 4: Configuring via the web GUI Configuring via the web GUI WL-520GU...
3. From the main page, click the navigation menu or links to configure the various features of the ASUS Wireless Router. Using the Network Map Network Map allows you to view the status and configure the connection settings of the Internet, system, and clients in your network. It enables you to quickly set up your Wide Area Network (WAN) using the Quick Internet Setup (QIS) feature, or to quickly set up your Local Area Network (LAN) using the EZSetup utility.
1. Under Internet status, click GO in the QIS field. . Select your connection type from these types of ISP services: Automatic IP, PPPoE, PPTP, L2TP, and Static IP. . Click Apply all settings to save the settings. Chapter 4: Configuring via the web GUI WL-520GU...
The router handles at first priority the traffic of downloading/ uploading data to/from the FTP server. Voip/Video Streaming The router handles the audio/video traffic at first priority. . Click Save to save the configuration settings. WL-520GU Chapter 4: Configuring via the web GUI...
Upgrading the firmware Note: Download the latest firmware from the ASUS website at To upgrade the firmware: 1. Click Advanced Setting from the navigation menu at the left side of your screen. . Under the Administration menu, click Firmware Upgrade.
Installing the utilities Installing the utilities The support CD contains the utilities for configuring the ASUS Wireless Router. To install the ASUS WLAN Utilities in Microsoft Windows, insert the support CD ® in the CD drive. If Autorun is disabled, run setup.exe from the root directory of the support CD.
. Click Next to accept the default destination folder or click Browse to specify another path. 4. Click Next to accept the default program folder or enter another name. 5. Click Finish when setup is complete. WL-50GU Chapter 5: Installing the utilities...
From your computer’s desktop, click Start > All Programs > ASUS Utility > Firmware Restoration. Note: This is not a firmware upgrade utility and cannot be used on a working ASUS Wireless Router. Normal firmware upgrades must be done through the web interface. Refer to Chapter 4: Configuring via the web GUI for more details.
XP SP XP SP1 and 000 To useEZSetup: 1. Click Start > All Programs > ASUS Utility > WLAN Card >EZSetup Wizard to launch theEZSetup Wizard. . Follow the instructions to set up your hardware. When done, click Next. WL-50GU...
Note: Use the EZSetup utility with one wireless client at a time. If the wireless client cannot discover the wireless router while inEZSetup mode, shorten the distance between the client and the wireless router. . Push the EZSetup button at the back panel of the wireless router. EZSetup 3.
4. Assign a name to your network, then click Next. 5. Use the auto-generated passphrase as your network’s security key or manually assign a passphrase containing between 8 and characters. Click Next. WL-50GU Chapter 5: Installing the utilities...
. Installation is completed. Click Save or print settings for future reference or Save settings to a USB flash drive to add other devices to the network. Click Next to connect to the Internet. Note: For more details on adding devices to the network using a USB flash drive, refer to the section Adding network devices using a USB flash drive on the next page.
Adding network devices using a USB flash drive With the EZSetup utility, you can add devices to your network using a USB flash drive. To add network devices using a USB flash drive: 1. In the EZSetup Wizard, click Save settings to a USB flash drive. 2.
3. Remove the USB flash drive from this computer, and then plug to the computer that you want to add to the wireless network. 4. Locate the SetupWireless.exe from the USB drive, and double-click to run it. Click Yes to add this computer to the wireless network. 5.
USB printer. Note: To check if your USB printer is compatible with your ASUS wireless router, visit the ASUS website at www.asus.com and click Products > Networks > Printer Server support.
3. Wait for a few minutes for the initial setup to finish. Click Next. 4. Click Finish to complete the installation. Chapter 5: Installing the utilities WL-50GU...
5. Follow the Windows OS instructions to install the printer driver. ® . After setting up the hardware and installing the printer driver, you can now see the printer name in the wireless router’s web GUI. WL-50GU Chapter 5: Installing the utilities...
Troubleshooting This troubleshooting guide provides solutions to some common problems that you may encounter while installing or using the ASUS Wireless Router. These problems require simple troubleshooting that you can perform by yourself. Contact the ASUS Technical Support if you encounter problems not mentioned in this chapter.
Problem Cannot access the Internet via wireless LAN adapter Internet is not accessible When ADSL Modem “Link” light is ON (not blinking), this means Internet Access is possible. WL-50GU Action • Move the router closer to the wireless client. • Check whether the wireless adapter is connected to the correct wireless router.
Problem If the ADSL “LINK” light blinks continuously or stays off, Internet access is not possible - the Router is unable to establish a connection with the ADSL network. Network name or encryption keys are forgotten How to restore the system to its default settings Chapter : Troubleshooting Action...
Notices Federal Communications Commission Statement This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: • This device may not cause harmful interference. • This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
Safety Information To maintain compliance with FCC’s RF exposure guidelines, this equipment should be installed and operated with minimum distance 0cm between the radiator and your body. Use on the supplied antenna. Declaration of Conformity for R&TTE directive 1999/5/EC Essential requirements – Article Protection requirements for health and safety –...
GNU General Public License Licensing information This product includes copyrighted third-party software licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License. Please see The GNU General Public License for the exact terms and conditions of this license. We include a copy of the GPL with every CD shipped with our product.
We protect your rights with two steps: (1) copyright the software, and () offer you this license which gives you legal permission to copy, distribute and/or modify the software. Also, for each author’s protection and ours, we want to make certain that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free software.
modifications or work under the terms of Section 1 above, provided that you also meet all of these conditions: a) You must cause the modified files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed the files and the date of any change. b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.
c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you received the program in object code or executable form with such an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.) The source code for a work means the preferred form of the work for making modifications to it.
on you (whether by court order, agreement or otherwise) that contradict the conditions of this License, they do not excuse you from the conditions of this License. If you cannot distribute so as to satisfy simultaneously your obligations under this License and any other pertinent obligations, then as a consequence you may not distribute the Program at all.
For software which is copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation, write to the Free Software Foundation; we sometimes make exceptions for this. Our decision will be guided by the two goals of preserving the free status of all derivatives of our free software and of promoting the sharing and reuse of software generally.
Telephone Support Fax Software download ASUS COMPUTER INTERNATIONAL (America) Address Telephone Website Software download ASUS COMPUTER GmbH (Germany and Austria) Address Telephone Online contact Technical Support Telephone Online support Website * Available on this site is an online Technical Inquiry Form that you can fill out to contact technical support.