Film-Tech The information contained in this Adobe Acrobat pdf file is provided at your own risk and good judgment. These manuals are designed to facilitate the exchange of information related to cinema projection and film handling, with no warranties nor obligations from the authors, for qualified field service engineers.
SDDS Player System DIGITAL FILM SOUND READER DFP-R3000 DIGITAL FILM SOUND DECODER DFP-D2500 QUICK START GUIDE Edition...
Sony DFP-2500 SDDS Player System Quick Start Guide to Installation and Setup Outline of Contents 1. Introduction 2. Equipment and accessories. 3. Site preparation and Interconnection. 4. B-Chain calibration, using the Setup Software. 5. Final adjustments and tests. 6. Troubleshooting.
5.1, or the full 8 channel SDDS sound format. The DFP-D2500 must be combined with a DFP-R3000 Film Sound Reader, which reads the SDDS data on film and sends this bit-stream to the DFP-D2500 for SDDS decoding and audio processing.
In the Decoder box you will find: Film Sound Decoder Unit DFP-D2500 Mains cable Varies by country Operation Manual 3-205-080-01 The following additional equipment is available from Sony: Setup Software Free http://www.sdds.com SDDS Alignment Film 1-759-836-11 #1 JIS screwdriver, cross point type...
3. Site preparation and interconnection. Before you begin making settings and adjustments to your DFP-2500 system, it is best to confirm some basic conditions. Here is a check list. 3.1 Decide audio signal path Configuring the DFP-D2500 as an output device The DFP-D2500 has been primarily designed to be the last link of the audio processing chain before the crossover networks and power amplifiers (in order to facilitate the full 8 channel output capability), very much like the 1...
3.000 or higher. You can check the SDDS web site at http://www.sdds.com or contact Sony Cinema Products to determine the latest version and to request a free copy. You can check the version of Setup Software you are currently using by launching the program and selecting Help>About.
Avoid using standard D-Sub connectors with 4-40 jscrews. Cinema processors. Refer to the list of available Tech Notes for instructions on correct audio and logic interconnections to other cinema processors. Note that Sony ® connectors use the THX pinout convention, but other equipment may not.
It can be used as a straight bypass input for the audio coming from the central cinema processor, such as the Sony DCP-1000 or a cinema sound processor of a different make. If the central cinema processor is of recent design, technology and quality, the AUX input can be configured so that the DFP-2500 B-chain is bypassed.
Doing so may cause damage to the Reader and void the warranty. Frame offset. Specific installation instructions for mounting the Reader to each type of projector are available in the DFP-R3000 Installation Manual. Following these instructions will ensure a minimum frame offset between the Reader’s LEDs and the picture gate.
5. B-Chain Alignment. B-Chain alignment is performed using the DFP-D2500, Setup Software, and your own test equipment. To begin, connect your computer to the Decoder using a null modem cable, run the Setup Software, and “connect” the Setup Software to the DFP-D2500 using the Config>Connect to DFP…...
4. Select Pink Noise in the Signals area. Pink noise can be sent to the outputs only at –20 dBfs. This is handled automatically by the software. 5. Enable all outputs by selecting All On in the Output Channel area. The software automatically mutes all channels to prevent accidentally sending loud sounds into the theatre.
8. Open the Master DFP-2.5K Settings screen by selecting Master DFP-D2500 under the Master option in the main screen menu bar. 9. Ensure that the Master Volume is set to 0.0 dB. Select the appropriate output level for the DFP-D2500; this is the absolute signal level that will correspond to the -20 dBfs reference point.
individual bands of your RTA will each be at about 70 dB SPL. The left and right surround cabinet groups should each be set for 82 dBC. Note: It is better to achieve this result with an adjustment of amplifier gain than by using a Channel Level Trim, and when using a Channel Level Trim, it is better to preserve full headroom by using attenuation (cut) instead of gain (boost).
This procedure, which requires an RTA, matches the playback gain of the digital subwoofer loudspeaker in the cinema to the playback response of the subwoofer (LFE loudspeaker) on the stage where the film’s sound track was mixed. Be sure to allow extra time for the low frequency bands to settle to their final values.
Set the coarse adjustment of frame offset by counting the actual frames of film between the projector’s film gate and the LEDs of the DFP-R3000 Reader. It should be at least 32 frames. The system is temporarily muted if this adjustment is done while the film is running.
The bottom board is the APR-57 board, where a jack connector for headphones is located on the right hand side. Connect your headphones to this output. The left output will contain the bypass (AUX) center channel and the right output will contain the SDDS center channel audio.
6. Setting up Preset configurations. A Preset is a set of retained DFP-D2500 Decoder settings that apply to a particular input signal. These settings are associated with the two preset buttons on the front panel, namely SDDS and AUX. If the bypass button is pressed, none of these preset configuration settings or B-chain processes are carried out.
Mode Name Meaning SDDS Eight inputs sent directly to eight outputs SDDS 7.1CH #1 except LC and RC mixed into L,C,R; SW to SW, LC, and RC outs SDDS 6CH #1 except LC and RC mixed into L,C,R; SL+SR to SL out; SW to LC and SDDS 5.1CH #1 except LC and RC mixed into L,C,R;...
If the indicators are never out of the red area regardless of the film print, it indicates a potential problem with the DFP-D2500/DFP-R3000 playback hardware or its installation or alignment. See the DFP-R3000 Installation Manual and DFP-R3000 Maintenance...
Sony recommends that known good SDDS material is always kept in your cinema so The SYSTEM OK LED on the DFP-D2500 front panel indicates that battery power is OK that the condition of the playback hardware can quickly be accessed. This will prove and that the unit is properly communicating with its Reader.
8. DFP-D2500 Rear Panel Connectors SYSTEM OUTPUT(25-pin D-Sub Male) AUX INPUT (25-pin D-Sub Female) (all according to the THX™ convention) Signal Left GND (ground) Left HOT (+, or in-phase of balanced signal) Left Center COLD (-, or out-of-phase of balanced signal) Center GND (ground) Center HOT (+, or in-phase of balanced signal) Right Center COLD (-, or out-of-phase of balanced signal)