1/17/00 6:13 AM
Beef and Barley Stew
1 1/2 lbs. beef stew cubes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 can (13.75-14.5 oz.) beef broth
2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1
1/2 cup barley
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. (9-10 oz.) frozen peas, thawed
1. In a 2-quart casserole, combine beef, onion,
flour, and Worcestershire; mix well. Cover with
lid. Cook at High for 6 to 8 minutes until beef is
no longer pink, stirring once.
2. Stir in beef broth, carrots, barley, bay leaf, and
pepper. Cover with lid. Cook at Medium for 1 to
hours until carrots and beef are tender, stir-
ring 2 to 3 times.
3. Stir in peas. Cover with lid. Cook at Medium for
10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Remove
bay leaf before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 Tbs. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
8 oz. (2 cups) cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pkg. (9-10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
4 cups cooked spiral shaped pasta (8 oz. dry)
1. In a 2-quart casserole, cook butter and onion at
High for 1 to 2 minutes until onion is soft, stirring
2. Add flour, salt, mustard, and pepper; mix well.
Cook at High for 30 to 60 seconds until mixture
boils. Stir in milk until smooth.
3. Stir in red pepper. Cook at High for 2 to 3 min-
utes until mixture boils and thickens slightly,
stirring twice. Stir in cheese until melted.
4. Add broccoli and pasta, mix well. Cover with lid.
Cook at High for 4 to 6 minutes until heated
through, stirring once. Stir before serving.
Makes 6 servings.