IMPORTANT: This cutting machine is
capable of amputating hands and feet and
throwing objects. Failure to observe the
following safety instructions could result in
serious injury or death.
Look for this symbol to point out im por-
tant safety precautions. It means
CAU TION!!! BECOME ALERT!!!
YOUR SAFE TY IS INVOLVED.
WARNING: In order to prevent ac ci-
den tal starting when setting up, trans port-
ing, ad just ing or making repairs, always
dis con nect spark plug wire and place wire
where it can not come in contact with plug.
CAUTION: Muffler and other engine
parts become extremely
hot during operation and
remain hot after engine
has stopped. To avoid
severe burns on contact,
stay away from these areas.
WARNING: CHILDREN CAN
BE SERIOUSLY INJURED OR
KILLED BY THIS EQUIPMENT.
Carefully read and follow all of
the safety instructions below.
The American Academy of Pediatrics
recommends that children be a minimum
of 12 year of age before operating a
pedestrian controlled lawn mower and a
minimum of 16 years of age before operat-
ing a riding lawn mower.
Tragic accidents can occur if the op er a tor is
not alert to the presence of children. Children
are often attracted to the ma chine and the
mowing activity. Never assume that children
will remain where you last saw them.
• Keep children out of the mowing area
and under the watchful care of a re-
spon si ble adult other than the operator.
• Be alert and turn machine off if chil dren
enter the area.
• Before and while walking back wards, look
behind and down for small chil dren.
• Never allow children to operate the
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Sears Service ...........................Back Cover
II. GENERAL OPERATION
• Read, understand, and follow all
in struc tions on the machine and in the
manual(s) before starting. Be thor ough ly
familiar with the controls and the proper
use of the machine before starting.
• Do not put hands or feet near or under
rotating parts. Keep clear of the dis-
charge opening at all times.
• Only allow responsible individuals, who
are familiar with the in struc tions, to
operate the machine.
• Clear the area of objects such as rocks,
toys, wire, bones, sticks, etc., which
could be picked up and thrown by
blade. Stay behind the handle when the
engine (motor) is running.
• Be sure the area is clear of other people
before mowing. Stop ma chine if anyone
enters the area.
• Do not operate machine bare footed or
while wearing sandals. Al ways wear
substantial footwear with good ankle
support while mowing.
• Do not pull mower backwards unless
absolutely nec es sary. Always look down
and behind before and while moving
• Never direct discharged material toward
against a wall or obstruction. Material may
richochet back toward the operator. Stop
blade when crossing gravel surfaces.
• Do not operate the mower without
proper guards, plates, grass catcher or
oth er safety protective devices in place.
• See manufacturer's instructions for
proper operation and installation of
accessories. Only use accessories ap-
proved by the manufacturer.
• Stop the blade(s) when crossing grav el
drives, walks, or roads.
• Never leave a running machine unattended.
• Stop the engine (motor) and wait until the
blade comes to a complete stop before
clean ing the machine, removing the grass
catcher, or unclogging the discharge
Avoid discharging material