100 WATT POWER
Thank you for choosing Black & Decker!
SAVE THIS INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
Catalog # PI100BB
Form # 90565630
SAFETY GUIDELINES / DEFINITIONS
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result in death or serious
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result in death or
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in minor or
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates potentially hazardous situation which, if not
avoided, may result in property damage.
RISK OF UNSAFE OPERATION. When using tools or equipment, basic safety precautions should
always be followed to reduce the risk of personal injury. Improper operation, maintenance or modification
of tools or equipment could result in serious injury and property damage. There are certain applications
for which tools and equipment are designed. Black & Decker strongly recommends that this product NOT
be modified and/or used for any application other than for which it was designed. Read and understand
all warnings and operating instructions before using any tool or equipment.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL APPLIANCES
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: Read all instructions before operating product. Failure to follow all instructions listed
below may result in electric shock, fire and/or serious injury.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTS. Donʼt use appliances in damp or wet locations. Donʼt use
appliances in the rain.
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS. When not in use, appliances should be stored indoors in dry,
and high or locked-up place – out of reach of children.
• DONʼT FORCE APPLIANCE. It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of injury at the
rate for which it was designed.
• USE RIGHT APPLIANCE. Do not use the appliance for any job except that for which it is intended.
• DISCONNECT APPLIANCES. Disconnect the appliance from the power supply when not in use,
before servicing, and when changing accessories such as blades and the like.
• PROPER COOLING IS ESSENTIAL WHEN OPERATING THE INVERTER. Do not place the unit near
the vehicleʼs heat vent or in direct sunlight.
• USE OF ACCESSORIES AND ATTACHMENTS. The use of any accessory or attachment not
recommended for use with this appliance could be hazardous. Note: Refer to the accessory section of
this manual for further details.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS. A part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an
authorized service center.
• OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS. When an appliance plugged into this unit is used outdoors,
use only extension cords intended for use outdoors and so marked. NOTE THAT THIS INVERTER IS
NOT INTENDED TO BE USED OUTDOORS.
• EXTENSION CORDS. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an extension
cord, be sure to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. An undersized cord
will cause a drop in line voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. The following table shows
the correct size to use depending on cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next
heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge number, the heavier the cord.
Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets
Total Length of Cord in Feet
American Wire Gauge
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK:
• Do not connect to AC distribution wiring.
• Do not make any electrical connections or disconnections in areas designated as IGNITION
PROTECTED. This includes DC cigarette lighter type plug connection or airplane adapter. This unit is
NOT approved for ignition protected areas.
• NEVER immerse the unit in water or any other liquid, or use when wet.
• Do not insert foreign objects into the AC outlet or the USB outlet.
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE:
• Do not operate near flammable materials, fumes or gases.
• DO NOT expose to extreme heat or flames.
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE:
• Remove appliance plug from outlet before working on the appliance.
• DO NOT attempt to connect or set up the unit or its components while operating your vehicle. Not pay-
ing attention to the road may result in a serious accident.
• Always use the inverter where there is adequate ventilation. Do not block ventilation slots.
• ALWAYS turn the inverter OFF by disconnecting it from the DC accessory outlet when not in use.
• Make sure the nominal powering voltage is 12 volts DC, center connection positive (+).
• When using this unit in a vehicle, check the vehicle operaterʼs manual for maximum power rating and
recommended output. Do not install in engine compartment — install in a well ventilated area.
• Do not use with positive ground electrical systems.* Reverse polarity connection will result in a blown
fuse and may cause permanent damage to the inverter and will void warranty.
*The majority of modern automobiles, RVs and trucks are negative ground.
• Keep in mind that this inverter will not operate high wattage appliances or equipment that produce
heat, such as hair dryers, microwave ovens and toasters.
• Do not open the inverter — there are no user-serviceable parts inside.
• Do not use this inverter with medical devices. It is not tested for medical applications.
• Keep away from children. This is not a toy!
• Install and operate unit only as described in this Instruction Manual.
• Do not use this inverter on a watercraft. It is not qualified for marine applications.
• Check unit periodically for wear and tear. Take to a qualified technician for replacement of worn or
defective parts immediately.
• Read And Understand This Instruction Manual Before Using This Unit.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY:
Follow these instructions and those published by battery manufacturer and the manufacturer of any
equipment you intend to use with this unit. Review cautionary markings on these products and on engine.
Thank you for purchasing the PI100BB Power Inverter with USB Charging Port. This inverter can be
used to operate personal electronics and mobile office equipment, such as: laptop computers,
digital/video cameras, MP3 players, cell phones, PDAs, and more. It can also be used to recharge
110/120 volt AC devices that have an appropriate recharging adapter with a standard North American
two-or three-prong plug.
Please read this Instruction Manual carefully before use to ensure optimum performance and to avoid
damage to this product.
Certain products contain power supplies or circuits that are not compatible with a inverter using a modi-
fied sine wave output (such as this inverter) and may be damaged by using this inverter.
If your product requires pure sine wave AC input power to function properly, the instruction manual for
your product could state this. If in doubt, you should contact your product manufacturer PRIOR TO USE.
Some products must be powered from a pure sine wave power source, such as standard household
power, or a "pure sine wave" inverter in order to function properly.
Your product could be damaged by this inverter if it contains:
1. Transformer type power supplies
2. Microprocessor controlled power supplies
3. Capacitive coupled power supplies
If an incompatible product is used with this inverter:
• The product might not operate at all, with no indication of failure. The product fuse might have opened
as a result of trying to use it with the inverter.
• The product exhibits unusual operation (such as, intermittent operation, buzzing, and the like.)
WARNING: If the product does not operate normally, to reduce the risk of injury or property
• Turn the product off immediately and unplug it from the inverter.
• 100 watts continuous output*
• 5 volt DC USB Charging Port
• Easiest inverter to use – truly plug and play
• Tri-color Power/Fault LED Indicator
• Compact, efficient and quiet
• Electronic circuit protection prevents damage due to overload/insufficient ventilation (overheat condition)
• Low-battery shutdown
*Refer to the "Specifications" section
Controls and Functions
THREE-PRONG 115 VOLT AC OUTLET
USB CHARGING PORT
HOW THIS INVERTER WORKS
This inverter is an electronic device that converts low voltage DC (direct current) electricity from a
battery to 115 volts AC (alternating current) household power. In designing this inverter, Black & Decker
has incorporated design techniques previously employed in computer power supplies. The result of
these design innovations is a smaller, lighter and easier-to-use power inverter.
The Power Inverter converts power in two stages. The first stage is a DC-to-DC conversion process that
raises the low voltage DC at the inverter input to 145 volts DC. The second stage is a MOSFET bridge
stage that converts the high voltage DC into 115 volts, 60 Hz AC.
The DC-to-DC inverter stage uses creative, high frequency, zero voltage switching power conversion
techniques that replace the bulky transformers found in less technologically advanced models. The
inverter stage uses advanced power MOSFET transistors in a full bridge configuration.
Power Inverter Output Waveform
NOTICE: THE OUTPUT OF THIS DEVICE IS NOT SINUSOIDAL. IT HAS A TOTAL HARMONIC
DISTORTION OF 38 PER CENT AND MAXIMUM SINGLE HARMONIC OF 32 PER CENT AT 25%
The AC output waveform of this inverter is known as a modified sine wave. It is a stepped waveform that
has characteristics similar to the sine wave shape of utility power. This type of waveform is suitable for
most AC loads, including linear and switching power supplies used in electronic equipment,
transformers, and small motors.
The modified sine wave produced by this inverter has an RMS (root mean square) voltage of 115 volts.
Most AC voltmeters (both digital and analog) are sensitive to the average value of the waveform rather
than the RMS value. They are calibrated for RMS voltage under the assumption that the waveform
measured will be a pure sine wave. These meters will not correctly read the RMS voltage of a modified
sine wave. Non-TRUE RMS meters will read about 20 to 30 volts low when measuring the output of this
inverter. For accurate measurement of the output voltage of this unit, use a TRUE RMS reading
voltmeter such as a Fluke 87, Fluke 8080A, Beckman 4410 or Triplett 4200.
115 Volt AC Output
12 VOLT DC VEHICLE ADAPTER
POWER PLUG ADJUSTS 90°