100 WATT POWER INVERTER
WITH USB CHARGING PORT
Thank you for choosing Black & Decker!
Go to www.BlackandDecker.com/NewOwner
to register your new product.
PLEASE READ BEFORE RETURNING THIS
PRODUCT FOR ANY REASON:
If you have a question or experience a problem with your Black & Decker purchase, go to
for instant answers 24 hours a day.
If you can't find the answer or do not have access to the internet,
call 1-800-544-6986 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST Mon. -- Fri. to speak with an agent.
Please have the catalog number available when you call.
SAVE THIS INSTRUCTION MANUAL FOR FUTURE REFERENCE.
Catalog # PI100AB/PI101B
Copyright © 2009 Black & Decker
SAFETY GUIDELINES / DEFINITIONS
DANGER: Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result in death or serious injury.
WARNING: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result in death or serious injury.
CAUTION: Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in minor or moderate injury.
CAUTION: Used without the safety alert symbol indicates potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may
result in property damage.
RISK OF UNSAFE OPERATION. When using tools or equipment, basic safety precautions should always be followed
to reduce the risk of personal injury. Improper operation, maintenance or modification of tools or equipment could
result in serious injury and property damage. There are certain applications for which tools and equipment are
designed. Black & Decker strongly recommends that this product NOT be modified and/or used for any application
other than for which it was designed. Read and understand all warnings and operating instructions before using any
tool or equipment.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS
GENERAL SAFETY WARNINGS AND INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL APPLIANCES
READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: Read all instructions before operating product. Failure to follow all instructions listed below may result
in electric shock, fire and/or serious injury.
• AVOID DANGEROUS ENVIRONMENTS. Don't use appliances in damp or wet locations. Don't use appliances in the
• STORE IDLE APPLIANCES INDOORS. When not in use, appliances should be stored indoors in dry, and high or
locked-up place – out of reach of children.
• DON'T FORCE APPLIANCE. It will do the job better and with less likelihood of a risk of injury at the rate for which it
• USE RIGHT APPLIANCE. Do not use the appliance for any job except that for which it is intended.
• DISCONNECT APPLIANCES. Disconnect the appliance from the power supply when not in use, before servicing,
and when changing accessories such as blades and the like.
• PROPER COOLING IS ESSENTIAL WHEN OPERATING THE INVERTER. Do not place the unit near the vehicle's heat
vent or in direct sunlight.
• ELECTRICAL FAULT CIRCUIT INTERRUPTOR protection should be provided on the circuits or outlets to be used.
Receptacles are available having built in electrical fault circuit interruptor protection and may be used for this mea-
sure of safety.
• USE OF ACCESSORIES AND ATTACHMENTS. The use of any accessory or attachment not recommended for use
with this appliance could be hazardous. Note: Refer to the accessory section of this manual for further details.
• CHECK DAMAGED PARTS. A part that is damaged should be properly repaired or replaced by an authorized service
• OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS. When an appliance plugged into this unit is used outdoors, use only exten-
sion cords intended for use outdoors and so marked. NOTE THAT THIS INVERTER IS NOT INTENDED TO BE USED
• EXTENSION CORDS. Make sure your extension cord is in good condition. When using an extension cord, be sure
to use one heavy enough to carry the current your product will draw. An undersized cord will cause a drop in line
voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. The following table shows the correct size to use depending on
cord length and nameplate ampere rating. If in doubt, use the next heavier gauge. The smaller the gauge number,
the heavier the cord.
Minimum Gauge for Cord Sets
WARNING: This product or its power cord contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause
cancer and birth defect or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
Catalog Numbers PI100AB
Form # 90556304
Printed in China
Total Length of Cord in Feet
American Wire Gauge
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK:
• Do not connect to AC distribution wiring.
• Do not make any electrical connections or disconnections in areas designated as IGNITION PROTECTED. This
includes DC cigarette lighter type plug connection or airplane adapter. This unit is NOT approved for ignition pro-
• NEVER immerse the unit in water or any other liquid, or use when wet.
• Do not insert foreign objects into the AC outlet or the USB outlet.
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE:
• Do not operate near flammable materials, fumes or gases.
• DO NOT expose to extreme heat or flames.
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE:
• Remove appliance plug from outlet before working on the appliance.
• DO NOT attempt to connect or set up the unit or its components while operating your vehicle. Not paying attention
to the road may result in a serious accident.
• Always use the inverter where there is adequate ventilation. Do not block ventilation slots.
• ALWAYS turn the inverter OFF by disconnecting it from the DC accessory outlet when not in use.
• Make sure the nominal powering voltage is 12 volts DC, center connection positive (+).
• When using this unit in a vehicle, check the vehicle owner's manual for maximum power rating and recommended
output. Do not install in engine compartment — install in a well ventilated area.
• Do not use with positive ground electrical systems.* Reverse polarity connection will result in a blown fuse and
may cause permanent damage to the inverter and will void warranty.
*The majority of modern automobiles, RVs and trucks are negative ground.
• Keep in mind that this inverter will not operate high wattage appliances or equipment that produce heat, such as
hair dryers, microwave ovens and toasters.
• Do not open the inverter — there are no user-serviceable parts inside.
• Do not use this inverter with medical devices. It is not tested for medical applications.
• Keep away from children.This is not a toy!
• Install and operate unit only as described in this Instruction Manual.
• Do not use this inverter on a watercraft. It is not qualified for marine applications.
• Check unit periodically for wear and tear. Take to a qualified technician for replacement of worn or defective parts
• Read And Understand This Instruction Manual Before Using This Unit.
SAVE THESE INSTRUCTIONS
WARNING: TO REDUCE THE RISK OF INJURY:
Follow these instructions and those published by battery manfacturer and the manufacturer of any equipment you
intend to use with this unit. Review cautionary markings on these products and on engine.
Thank you for purchasing the PI100AB/PI101B Power Inverter with USB Charging Port. This inverter can be
used to operate personal electronics and mobile office equipment, such as: laptop computers, digital/video cameras,
MP3 players, cell phones, PDAs, and more. It can also be used to recharge 110/120 volt AC devices that have an
appropriate recharging adapter with a standard North American two- or three-prong plug.
Please read this Instruction Manual carefully before use to ensure optimum performance and to avoid damage to
Certain products contain power supplies or circuits that are not compatible with an inverter using a modified sine
wave output (such as this inverter) and may be damaged by using this inverter.
If your product requires pure sine wave AC input power to function properly, the instruction manual for your product
could state this. If in doubt, you should contact your product manufacturer PRIOR TO USE.
Some products must be powered from a pure sine wave power source, such as standard household power, or a
"pure sine wave" inverter in order to function properly.
Your product could be damaged by this inverter if it contains:
1. Transformer type power supplies
2. Microprocessor controlled power supplies
3. Capacitive coupled power supplies
If an incompatible product is used with this inverter:
• The product might not operate at all, with no indication of failure. The product fuse might have opened as a result
of trying to use it with the inverter.
• The product exhibits unusual operation (such as, intermittent operation, buzzing, and the like.)
WARNING: If the product does not operate normally, to reduce the risk of injury or property damage:
• Turn the product off immediately and unplug it from the inverter.
• 100 watts continuous output*
• MAXX SST
Soft Start Technology
• 5 volt DC USB Charging Port
• Easiest inverter to use – truly plug and play
• Bi-color Power/Fault LED Indicator
• Compact, efficient and quiet
• Tethered Protective Outlet Covers
• Electronic circuit protection prevents damage due to overload/insufficient ventilation (overheat condition)
• Low-battery shutdown
*Refer to the "Specifications" section
Controls and Functions
USB CHARGING PORT
PROTECTIVE OUTLET COVER)
HOW THIS INVERTER WORKS
This inverter is an electronic device that converts low voltage DC (direct current) electricity from a battery to 115
volts AC (alternating current) household power. In designing this inverter, Black & Decker has incorporated design
techniques previously employed in computer power supplies. The result of these design innovations is a smaller,
lighter and easier-to-use power inverter.
The Power Inverter converts power in two stages. The first stage is a DC-to-DC conversion process that raises the
low voltage DC at the inverter input to 145 volts DC. The second stage is a MOSFET bridge stage that converts the
high voltage DC into 115 volts, 60 Hz AC.
The DC-to-DC converter stage uses creative, high frequency, zero voltage switching power conversion techniques
that replace the bulky transformers found in less technologically advanced models. The inverter stage uses
advanced power MOSFET transistors in a full bridge configuration.
Power Inverter Output Waveform
The AC output waveform of this inverter is known as a modified sine wave. It is a stepped waveform that has
characteristics similar to the sine wave shape of utility power. This type of waveform is suitable for most AC loads,
including linear and switching power supplies used in electronic equipment, transformers, and small motors.
The modified sine wave produced by this inverter has an RMS (root mean square) voltage of 115 volts. Most AC
voltmeters (both digital and analog) are sensitive to the average value of the waveform rather than the RMS value.
They are calibrated for RMS voltage under the assumption that the waveform measured will be a pure sine wave.
These meters will not correctly read the RMS voltage of a modified sine wave. Non-TRUE RMS meters will read
about 20 to 30 volts low when measuring the output of this inverter. For accurate measurement of the output
voltage of this unit, use a TRUE RMS reading voltmeter such as a Fluke 87, Fluke 8080A, Beckman 4410 or Triplett
12 VOLT DC VEHICLE ADAPTER PLUG
THREE-PRONG 115 VOLT AC OUTLET
(WITH TETHERED PROTECTIVE
POWER PLUG ADJUSTS 90°