B e f o r e Y o u C a n T a l k
Read this manual carefully. Make sure you know how to properly operate the
radio before use. Talkabout radios have 14 channels and 38 Interference
Eliminator Codes. To talk to others, all radios in your group must be set to the
same channel and code.
P o w e r B u t t o n
1. Press orange Power button, radio beeps
and LED Indicator Light flashes every 3
seconds to indicate radio is on. Figure 11.
2. To turn radio off, press Power button until
display clears. Radio beeps to confirm.
N o t e : When you turn the radio on you are in
normal operating mode.
C h a n n e l s
You can only communicate with radios that are set on the same channel and
code. The chart on page 30 shows you channel frequencies on which
Motorola Family Radio Service (FRS) two-way radios operate.
S e t t i n g t h e C h a n n e l
1. With radio on, press Menu button once.
CHAN appears and current channel
(large number) will flash. Figure 12.
2. Use the Scroll buttons to select a new
3. Press Push-To-Talk button to set new
N o t e : The radio will return to normal operation
mode in 10 seconds or after pressing Push-To-Talk button.
I n t e r f e r e n c e E l i m i n a t o r C o d e s
Codes filter out static, noise and unwanted
messages on radio channels. You can only
communicate with radios using the same chan-
nel and code. Since radio channels can be
monitored, this will not make your conversa-
tions private. To avoid congested channels,
change the radio's channel/code setting.
S e t t i n g t h e C o d e
1. With radio on, press Menu button twice. The
current Code (small number) will flash. Figure 13.
2. Use Scroll buttons to select a new code.
3. Press Push-To-Talk button to set new code selection.
N o t e s :
• The channel and code may be set sequentially. Just hit the Menu but-
ton after setting a new channel to select a new code.
• The radio will return to normal operation mode in 10 seconds or after
pressing Push-To-Talk button.
The T289 has the ability to save a specific code for each channel. This allows
you to change channel and codes more easily. To save a specific code for
each channel, set the channel and code per the previous instructions. Press
the Menu button once from normal operating mode and use the Scroll Buttons
to switch between selected channel and code settings.