34 - Traveling with your computer
R A V E L I N G W I T H Y O U R C O M P U T E R
This section gives you tips and hints to consider when moving around
or traveling with your computer.
Disconnecting from the desktop
Follow these steps to disconnect your computer from external
1. Save any open files.
2. Remove discs from optical drive.
3. Shut down the computer or put it into Sleep or Hibernate mode.
4. Close the display cover.
5. Disconnect the cord from the AC adapter.
6. Disconnect the keyboard, pointing device, printer, external monitor
and other external devices.
7. Disconnect the Kensington lock if you are using one to secure the
When you are just moving within short distances, for example, from
your office desk to a meeting room.
Preparing the computer
Before moving the computer, close and latch the display cover to
place it in Sleep mode. You can now safely take the computer
anywhere you go within the building. To wake the computer from
Sleep mode, open the display and, if necessary, press and release
the power button.
If you are taking the computer to a client's office or a different building,
you may choose to shut down the computer:
Press the Windows key + <C>, click Settings > Power then click