4. Installation of a Crystal Network Printer
4.1 What is needed to install the Crystal Network Printer?
To use your Crystal printer as a wireless network printer, you need to have the following
• PC connected to wireless network either via access point (infrastructure topology) or via
WLAN adapter (ad hoc topology)
• USB WLAN adapter for the Crystal printer
• Companion Suite installed on your PC
4.2 Basic steps of installation
• Install the Wireless drivers on the PC
• Setup the network parameters on the PC (IP address, mask)
• Setup all parameters on the Crystal Printer
• Verify the basic function with a ping command (see below)
• Install the Crystal Network Printer driver at all PCs which will shall access the
4.3 Installation of the WLAN Function on the PC
The first step to enable the WLAN capabilities of your Crystal printer is to connect the PC to
a wireless network. Install your WLAN USB adapter according to the installation manual of
the manufacturer or activate the WLAN driver if you have a PC / Laptop with built in WLAN
support Verify that the WLAN is working correctly. Most adapters have a LED that starts
flashing during start-up and is lit constantly to indicate that the adapter is ready to work.
4.4 Setup of Network Parameters
Choose an IP address and a subnet mask for the WLAN adapter. Take care that this
parameters match to the Crystal Printer IP address range.
4.5 Set-up of WLAN on the Crystal Printer
The next step is to set up the WLAN parameters on your Crystal printer. First of all connect
your USB WLAN adapter to the USB connector on the right hand side of the device. Wait
until the LED on the connector is either flashing or lit constantly.
4.5.1 Network Scan
Go to Menu 9,1,1 and which will issue a scan for available wireless networks. If any networks
are found they will be displayed. Select the correct network which sets the SSID to the correct
name on the Crystal printer and the network mode will be set to the correct mode (ad-hoc or
infrastructure). If encryption is enabled in the network the user will be asked to enter the four
WEP keys of the network.
The network scan facilitates the set-up process in such a way that the user has only to set the
IP address and subnet mask in Menu 9,1,6 and Menu 9,1,7.