• This equipment may not be used on coin service provided by the telephone company.
• Party lines are subject to state tariffs, and therefore, you may not be able to use your own
telephone equipment if you are on a party line. Check with your local telephone company.
• Notice must be given to the telephone company upon permanent disconnection of your
telephone from your line.
• If your home has specially wired alarm equipment connected to the telephone line,
ensure the installation of this product does not disable your alarm equipment. If you have
questions about what will disable alarm equipment, consult your telephone company or a
US Number is located on the cabinet bottom.
REN Number is located on the cabinet bottom.
2 Rights of the Telephone Company
Should your equipment cause trouble on your line which may harm the telephone network,
the telephone company shall, where practicable, notify you that temporary discontinuance
of service may be required. Where prior notice is not practicable and the circumstances
warrant such action, the telephone company may temporarily discontinue service
immediately. In case of such temporary discontinuance, the telephone company must: (1)
promptly notify you of such temporary discontinuance; (2) afford you the opportunity to
correct the situation; and (3) inform you of your right to bring a complaint to the Commission
pursuant to procedures set forth in Subpart E of Part 68, FCC Rules and Regulations.
The telephone company may make changes in its communications facilities, equipment,
operations or procedures where such action is required in the operation of its business and
not inconsistent with FCC Rules and Regulations. If these changes are expected to affect the
use or performance of your telephone equipment, the telephone company must give you
adequate notice, in writing, to allow you to maintain uninterrupted service.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two
conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference; and (2) This device must accept
any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a Class B digital
device, pursuant to Part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable
protection against harmful interference in a residential installation.
This equipment generates, uses, and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed
and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio
communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular
Privacy of Communications may not be ensured when using this product.
If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can
Equipment Approval Information
be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct
the interference by one or more of the following measures:
Your telephone equipment is approved for connection to the Public Switched Telephone
Network and is in compliance with parts 15 and 68, FCC Rules and Regulations and the
• Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna (that is, the antenna for radio or television
that is "receiving" the interference).
Technical Requirements for Telephone Terminal Equipment published by ACTA.
1 Notification to the Local Telephone Company
• Reorient or relocate and increase the separation between the telecommunications
equipment and receiving antenna.
On the bottom of this equipment is a label indicating, among other information, the US
number and Ringer Equivalence Number (REN) for the equipment. You must, upon request,
• Connect the telecommunications equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that
to which the receiving antenna is connected.
provide this information to your telephone company.
The REN is useful in determining the number of devices you may connect to your telephone
If these measures do not eliminate the interference, please consult your dealer or an
line and still have all of these devices ring when your telephone number is called. In
experienced radio/television technician for additional suggestions. Also, the Federal
most (but not all) areas, the sum of the RENs of all devices connected to one line should
Communications Commission has prepared a helpful booklet, "How To Identify and Resolve
Radio/TV Interference Problems." This booklet is available from the U.S. Government Printing
not exceed 5. To be certain of the number of devices you may connect to your line as
determined by the REN, you should contact your local telephone company.
Office, Washington, D.C. 20402. Please specify stock number 004-000-00345-4 when ordering
A plug and jack used to connect this equipment to the premises wiring and telephone
network must comply with the applicable FCC Part 68 rules and requirements adopted
Notice: The changes or modifications not expressly approved by the party responsible for
compliance could void the user's authority to operate the equipment.
by the ACTA. A compliant telephone cord and modular plug is provided with this product.
It is designed to be connected to a compatible modular jack that is also compliant. See
FCC RF Radiation Exposure Statement
installation instructions for details.
This equipment complies with FCC RF radiation exposure limits set forth for an uncontrolled
environment. This equipment should be installed and operated with a minimum distance of 20
centimeters between the radiator and your body. This transmitter must not be co-located or
operated in conjunction with any other antenna or transmitter."
Visit the GE website at: www.GE.com/phones
FLASH AND ARROW
HEAD WITHIN THE
PREVENT FIRE OR
TRIANGLE IS A
ALERTING YOU OF
101 West 103rd St.
HAZARD, DO NOT
Indianapolis, IN 46290-1102
00023889 (Rev. 0 DOM E/S)
© 2008 Thomson Inc.
PRODUCT TO RAIN
Trademark(s) ® Registered
Printed in China
CAUTION: When using telephone equipment, there are basic
safety instructions that should always be followed. Refer to the
IMPORTANT SAFETy INSTRUCTIONS provided with this product
and save them for future reference.
Telephone Jack Requirements
IF you want to use the GE-21518 with your home phone
service, you need an RJ11C type modular telephone jack,
which might look like the one pictured here, installed in your
home. If you don't have a modular jack, call your local phone
company to find out how to get one installed.
Before you Begin
Make sure your package includes the items shown here.
AC power adaptor
Important Installation Guidelines
• Avoid sources of noise and heat, such as motors, fluorescent lighting,
microwave ovens, heating appliances and direct sunlight.
• Avoid areas of excessive dust, moisture and low temperature.
• Avoid other cordless telephones or personal computers.
• Never install telephone wiring during a lightning storm.
• Never install telephone jacks in wet locations unless the jack is specifically
designed for wet locations.
• Never touch non-insulated telephone wires or terminals, unless the telephone
line has been disconnected at the network interface.
• Use caution when installing or modifying telephone lines.
RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK
DO NOT OPEN
CAUTION: TO REDUCE THE
CELL 1 button/
RISK OF ELECTRIC SHOCK, DO
POINT WITHIN THE
NOT REMOVE COVER (OR
TRIANGLE IS A
BACK). NO USER
SERVICEABLE PARTS INSIDE.
ALERTING YOU OF
Cell 1/Cell 2 Button Illumination Guide
REFER SERVICING TO
OFF - no connection/not paired
FLASHING - pairing or reconnection mode
SOLID - successfully paired/connected
SEE MARKING ON BOTTOM / BACK OF PRODUCT
Choose an area near an electrical outlet and a modular telephone jack (RJ11) and
When the phone is paired and connected successfully, the CELL 1 indicator of the
place the GE-21518 on a level surface, such as a desktop or tabletop.
GE-21518 will illuminate.
1. Connect one end of telephone line cord into the GE-21518 LINE jack and the
NOTE: If the cell phone is moved out of range of the GE-21518 it
will drop the connection and must be reconnected.
opposite end into a modular telephone jack. (This step is not necessary if you do
not have home phone service and/or only wish to connect a single phone to your
Press and hold the CELL 1 button again and the connection will resume.
2. Connect the telephone line cord of current home phone to PHONE jack of
NOTE: Certain cell phones may require an acceptance to allow
TIP: By connecting a cordless home phone, you may move around
the home and still receive and make calls from the cell phone.
Press and release the CELL 1 button to disconnect the Bluetooth cell phone. The
3. Plug the AC power adaptor into an electrical outlet and connect it to the power
CELL 1 indicator will no longer be illuminated.
jack of the GE-21518.
CAUTION: To reduce risk of personal injury, fire, or damage
Press and hold the CELL 1 button for 5 seconds to cancel cell 1 pairing, the CELL 1
use only the 5-2818 power adaptor listed in the user's guide.
indicator will no longer be illuminated.
This power adaptor is intended to be correctly orientated in a
Making A Landline Call
vertical or floor mount position.
1. Pick up the handset of your telephone and listen for dial tone.
4. The red LED of the GE-21518 will illuminate.
2. Dial the desired number. If telephone line is not connected or in-use by other
phones, a warning tone of three beeps will sound.
Pairing to Cell Phone
Making A Cellular Call
The GE-21518 supports a maximum of two Bluetooth cell phones.
1. Pick up handset of your telephone and listen for dial tone. (If telephone line is not
connected or in-use by other phones, a warning tone of three beeps will sound).
1. Press and hold the CELL 1 button until it begins flashing, the GE-21518 enters
into pairing mode. To stop pairing, press CELL 1 again.
2. Dial a sequence of: #, 1, # , followed by the desired number, then # to make a
cellular call via CELL 1.
2. Refer to the instruction manual of your Bluetooth cell phone for the proper
procedure to add and pair a new phone.
NOTE: To make a call using CELL 2; use #, 2, # , desired number, # .
3. Use the number keys to enter the default PIN 0000 on the Bluetooth cell phone.
Answering A Call
NOTE: To pair and connect another Bluetooth cell phone with the GE-
Pick up handset of your telephone and operate in usual manner.
CELL 2 button/
21518, use CELL 2 button with same procedure as above.
When the telephone line is in-use by another phone in your home you may join in on
1. Pick up the handset of your telephone, (a warning tone of three beeps will sound).
2. Dial #, 0, # , to connect to ongoing call.
No dial tone
• Check and repeat installation steps:
Ensure the AC power adaptor is connected to a working electrical outlet .
Ensure the telephone line cord is connected to the GE-21518 and the wall jack.
• Connect another phone to the same jack; if there is still no dial tone, the
problem might be your wiring or local service.
You experience static, noise, or fading in and out
• Your Bluetooth cell phone may be too close or out of range from the GE-21518,
move it to a distance of 2 feet to 10 feet.
• Your Bluetooth cell phone may be receiving interference from another cell
phone, move it to a distance of 2 feet to 10 feet away.
• Make sure the GE-21518 is not plugged into an outlet with another household
appliance. If necessary, relocate the GE-21518.
Unit locks up
• Unplug the AC power adaptor from the wall outlet and the back of the
GE-21518, wait for 5 seconds and reconnect.
Causes of Poor Reception
• Aluminum siding.
• Foil backing on insulation.
• Heating ducts and other metal construction that can shield radio signals.
• You're too close to appliances such as microwaves, stoves, computers, etc.
• Atmospheric conditions, such as strong storms.
• The GE-21518 is installed in the basement or lower floor of the house.
• The GE-21518 is plugged into AC outlet with other electronic phones.
General Product Care
To keep your unit working and looking good, follow these guidelines:
• Clean the GE-21518, with a soft cloth.
• Never use a strong cleaning agent or abrasive powder because this will damage
• Retain the original packaging, if need to ship the phone at a later date arises.
f trouble is experienced with this equipment, for warranty information, please contact
customer service at 1-800-448-0329. If the equipment is causing harm to the telephone
network, the telephone company may require that you disconnect the equipment until the
problem is resolved.
Any unauthorized repairs, changes or modifications not expressly approved by Thomson Inc.
could void the user's authority to operate this product. For instructions on how to obtain a
replacement unit, refer to the warranty included in this guide or call customer service at
Or refer inquiries to:
Manager, Consumer Relations
P O Box 1976
Indianapolis, IN 46206
Attach your sales receipt to this booklet for future reference or jot down the date this product
was purchased or received as a gift. This information will be valuable if service should be
required during the warranty period.
Name of store
AC power adapter
To place order, have your Visa, MasterCard, or Discover Card ready and call toll-free
1-800-338-0376. A shipping and handling fee will be charged upon ordering. We are
required by law to collect appropriate sales tax for each individual state, country,
and locality to which the merchandise is being sent. Items are subject to availability.
What your warranty covers:
• Defects in materials or workmanship.
For how long after your purchase:
• One year, from date of purchase.
(The warranty period for rental units begins with the first rental or 45 days from date of
shipment to the rental firm, whichever comes first.)
What we will do:
• Provide you with a new unit. The exchange unit is under warranty for the remainder of the
original product's warranty period.
How you get service:
• Properly pack your unit. Include any cables, etc., which were originally provided with the
product. We recommend using the original carton and packing materials.
• "Proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or receipted invoice which is evidence that
the product is within the warranty period, must be presented to obtain warranty service."
For rental firms, proof of first rental is also required. Also print your name and address and
a description of the defect. Send via standard UPS or its equivalent to:
11721 B Alameda Ave.
Socorro, Texas 79927
• Insure your shipment for loss or damage. Thomson Inc. accepts no liability in case of
damage or loss.
• A new unit will be shipped to you freight prepaid.
What your warranty does not cover:
• Customer instruction. (Your Owner's Manual provides information regarding operating
instructions and user controls. Any additional information, should be obtained from your
• Installation and setup service adjustments.
• Damage from misuse or neglect.
• Products which have been modified or incorporated into other products.
• Products purchased or serviced outside the USA.
• Acts of nature, such as but not limited to lightning damage.
• Please complete and mail the Product Registration Card packed with your unit. It will make
it easier to contact you should it ever be necessary. The return of the card is not required
for warranty coverage.
Limitation of Warranty:
• THE WARRANTy STATED ABOVE IS THE ONLy WARRANTy APPLICABLE TO THIS PRODUCT.
ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, ExPRESS OR IMPLIED (INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES
OF MERCHANTABILITy OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE) ARE HEREBy
DISCLAIMED. NO VERBAL OR WRITTEN INFORMATION GIVEN By THOMSON INC., ITS
AGENTS, OR EMPLOyEES SHALL CREATE A GUARANTy OR IN ANy WAy INCREASE THE
SCOPE OF THIS WARRANTy.
• REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTy IS THE ExCLUSIVE
REMEDy OF THE CONSUMER. THOMSON INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR INCIDENTAL OR
CONSEqUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS PRODUCT OR ARISING
OUT OF ANy BREACH OF ANy ExPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTy ON THIS PRODUCT. THIS
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES AND LIMITED WARRANTy ARE GOVERNED By THE LAWS OF
THE STATE OF INDIANA. ExCEPT TO THE ExTENT PROHIBITED By APPLICABLE LAW, ANy
IMPLIED WARRANTy OF MERCHANTABILITy OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ON
THIS PRODUCT IS LIMITED TO THE APPLICABLE WARRANTy PERIOD SET FORTH ABOVE.
How state law relates to this warranty:
• Some states do not allow the exclusion nor limitation of incidental or consequential
damages, or limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts so the above limitations or
exclusions may not apply to you.
• This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you also may have other rights that vary
from state to state.
If you purchased your product outside the USA:
• This warranty does not apply. Contact your dealer for warranty information.