Summary of Contents for Canon EF24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
EF24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Instructions...
Thank you for purchasing a Canon product. The Canon EF24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM is 5. Electronic manual focusing (MF) made possible by electronically detecting the rotation of the a high-performance standard zoom lens that focusing ring. makes movie shooting comfortable. The lens 6.
High temperatures can cause the lens to malfunction. Conventions used in this instruction Warning to prevent lens or camera malfunction Usage Precautions or damage. When using this lens, please check the Canon website ● Supplementary notes on using the lens and for the latest camera firmware. If the camera’s firmware is not the latest version, be sure to update to the latest taking pictures.
Safety Precautions This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. CAN ICES-3 (B) / NMB-3 (B) Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Do not make any changes or modifications to the equipment unless otherwise specified in the instructions. If such changes or modifications should be made, you could be required to stop operation of the equipment. This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the limits for a class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules. These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or more of the following measures: • Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
Shooting Precautions The EF24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM utilizes a stepping motor that drives the focus lens. The motor also controls the focus lens during zooming. 1. When the camera is OFF The motor does not operate while the camera is OFF or when the camera is OFF due to the use of the auto power off function. Therefore, users must be aware of the following points. ● Manual focus adjustments are not possible. During zooming, delayed focus will occur. ● 2. When the lens is in sleep mode If not operated for a certain period of time, this lens will enter sleep mode in order to save power. Sleep mode differs from when the camera is OFF due to the use of the auto power off function. In this state, the motor will not operate even if the camera is ON. Therefore, users must be aware of the following points.
3. During initial reset When the camera is ON or when the camera is turned ON by pressing the shutter button halfway down when the camera is OFF due to the use of the auto power off function* , the lens performs an initial reset of the focus lens.* Although the image in the viewfinder will appear out of focus during the initial reset, this does not mean that the ● lens has malfunctioned. Although the shutter can be released during the initial reset, users must wait approximately 1 second* ● after the initial reset has completed before shooting. *1: Not applicable to the following EOS camera models: EOS REBEL T5i/700D, EOS REBEL SL1/100D, EOS REBEL T4i/650D *2: With some cameras, the lens may perform an initial reset in order to improve lens performance even at times other than described in this section. *3: The initial reset time varies depending on camera being used. When using the lens with film-based SLR cameras The drive speed of the focus lens will be slower than when the lens is used with a digital camera.
Nomenclature Zoom ring (→ 7) Focus mode switch (→ 8) Hood mount (→ 10) Zoom ring lock lever Filter mounting (→ 9) thread (→ 13) Contacts (→ 7) Focusing ring (→ 8) Image stabilizer switch (→ 11) Lens mount index (→ 7) For detailed information, reference page numbers are provided in parentheses (→ **). ● ENG-6...
2. Zooming 1. Mounting and Detaching the Lens See your camera’s instructions for details on mounting and detaching the lens. To zoom, turn the lens’ zoom ring. Be sure to finish zooming before focusing. ● After detaching the lens, place the lens with ● Zooming after focusing can affect the focus. the rear end up to prevent the lens surface and Blurring may temporarily occur if the zoom ring is ●...
3. Setting the Focus Mode ● Quickly rotating the focusing ring may result in delayed focus. Manual focus adjustments are not possible when ● the camera is OFF. ● Please make sure that the camera is kept ON after bringing an image into focus. However, there are times when images will become out of focus even when the camera is ON due to changing the camera battery or attaching/ detaching the lens. Please use the camera’s To shoot in autofocus (AF) mode, set the focus auto power off function to maintain focus when mode switch to AF. the camera is OFF.
4. Fixing the Zoom Ring The zoom ring can be fixed to keep the lens at the shortest point. This function is convenient for carrying a camera on a strap because it prevents the lens from extending. Rotate the zoom ring to the Slide the zoom ring lock widest position (24 mm). lever in the direction indicated by the arrow. To release the zoom ring, slide ● the zoom ring lock lever in the direction opposite to the arrow.
5. Hood (sold separately) The EW-83M hood cuts out unwanted light and protects the front of the lens from rain, snow, and dust. Button ● Removing ● Attaching To remove the hood, hold down the button on To attach the hood, align the hood’s attachment position mark with the red dot on the front of the the side and turn the hood in the direction of the arrow until the position mark on the hood lens, then turn the hood as shown by the arrow aligns with the red dot. The hood can be reverse- until the lens’ red dot is aligned with the hood’s mounted on the lens for storage. stop position mark. If the hood is not attached properly, vignetting (darkening of the perimeter of the picture) may occur. ● When attaching or detaching the hood, grasp the base of the hood to turn it. To prevent deformation, do not ●...
6. Image Stabilizer You can use the image stabilizer in AF or MF ● The Image Stabilizer cannot compensate for a mode. blurred shot caused by a subject that moved. This function provides optimal image stabilization ● The Image Stabilizer may not be fully effective depending on shooting conditions (such as if you shoot from a violently shaking vehicle or shooting still subjects and following shots).
Image Stabilizer The image stabilizer for this lens is effective for hand-held shots in the following conditions. ● In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or ● When panning subjects in motion. outdoors at night. In locations where flash photography is ● prohibited, such as art museums and theater stages. In situations where your footing is uncertain. ● In situations where fast shutter settings ●...
(sold separately) You can attach filters to the filter mounting You can attach extension tube EF12 II or EF25 II for magnified shots. The shooting distance thread on the front of the lens. and magnification are shown below. Only one filter may be attached. ● Focusing Distance Range (mm) Magnification (×) If you need a polarizing filter, use the Canon ● Close distance Long distance Close distance Long distance Circular Polarizing Filter PL-C B (77 mm). To adjust the polarizing filter, first remove the ● 0.61 0.50 24mm EF12 II lens hood.
9. Close-up Lenses (sold separately) Attaching a 500D (77 mm) Close-up Lens enables close-up photography. Compatibility with Close-up Lenses is as follows. Can be used at the 105mm end (magnification ● 0.41x - 0.21x) Close-up Lens 250D cannot be attached ● because there is no size that fits the lens. ● MF mode is recommended for accurate focusing. ENG-14...
Approx. 525 g/18.5 oz. Weight EW-83M (sold separately) Hood Lens Cap E-77 II LP1219 (sold separately) Case * Applies to 1/3-stop increments. With 1/2-stop increments, it will be f/22-32. The lens length is measured from the mount surface to the front end of the lens. Add 24.2 mm when ● including the lens cap and dust cap. The size and weight listed are for the lens only, except as indicated. ● Extenders cannot be used with this lens. ● Aperture settings are specified on the camera. The camera automatically compensates for variations ● in the aperture setting when the camera is zoomed in or out. ● All data listed is measured according to Canon standards. Product specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice. ● ENG-15...