Safe Operation Practices for Walk-Behind Mowers IMPORTANT: THIS CUTTING MACHINE IS CAPABLE OF AMPUTATING HANDS AND FEET AND THROW ING OBJECTS. FAILURE TO OBSERVE THE FOLLOWING SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. Look for this symbol to point out im- por tant safety precautions.
(motor) running. Disconnect spark plug wire, and keep WARNING: This lawn mower is equipped with an internal com bus tion engine and should not be used on or near any un im proved forest-covered, brush-covered or grass-cov ered land unless the engine’s exhaust system is equipped with a spark arrester meeting applicable local or state laws (if any).
IMPORTANT: THIS LAWN MOWER IS SHIPPED WITH OUT OIL OR GASOLINE IN THE ENGINE. Your new lawn mower has been as sem bled at the factory with the ex cep tion of those parts left unassembled for shipping purposes. All parts such as nuts, washers, bolts, etc., necessary to com plete the as sem bly have been placed in the parts bag.
KNOW YOUR LAWN MOWER READ THIS OWNER'S MANUAL AND SAFETY RULES BEFORE OPERATING YOUR LAWN MOWER. Compare the illustrations with your lawn mower to familiarize yourself with the location of various controls and adjustments. Save this manual for future reference.
The operation of any lawn mower can result in foreign objects thrown into the eyes, which can result in severe eye damage. Always wear safety glasses or eye shields while operating your lawn mower or per- forming any adjustments or repairs. We recommend standard safety glasses or a wide vision safety mask over spectacles.
Mow across the face of slopes: never up and down. TO CONVERT MOWER (See Figs. 7 thru 9) Your lawn mower was shipped ready to be used as a mulcher. To convert to rear bagging or side discharging: REAR BAGGING 1.
1. Open round door of discharge chute to move starter rope out and away from grass catcher. 2. Remove grass catcher with clippings from lawn mower using both front and rear handles. 3. Empty clippings from grass catcher using both rear handle and strap.
• For best results, adjust the lawn mower cutting height so that the lawn mower cuts off only the top one-third of the grass blades (See Fig. 14). If the lawn is over- grown it will be necessary to raise the height of cut to reduce pushing effort and to keep from overloading the engine and leaving clumps of mulched grass.
**** to clean under deck GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS The warranty on this lawn mower does not cover items that have been subjected to operator abuse or negligence. To receive full value from the warranty, operator must maintain mower as instructed in this manual. Some adjustments will need to be made periodically to properly maintain your unit.
1. Disconnect spark plug wire from spark plug and place wire where it cannot come in contact with plug. 2. Turn lawn mower on its side. Make sure air ﬁ lter and carburetor are up. 3. Use a wood block between blade and mower hous ing to prevent blade from turning when re mov ing blade bolt.
Change the oil after every 25 hours of operation or at least once a year if the lawn mower is not used for 25 hours in one year. Check the crankcase oil level before starting the engine and after each ﬁ...
4. Pivot idler arm assembly to slacken drive belt, then remove drive belt from drive pulley, belt keepers and idler arm. 5. Turn lawn mower on its side. Make sure air ﬁ lter and carburetor are up. 6. Remove screw securing debris shield. Note that the debris shield has a tab which ﬁ...
(See Fig. 20). 6. Install the blade bolt with the lock washer and hardened washer into blade adapter and crankshaft. 7. Use block of wood between blade and lawn mower hous- ing and tighten the blade bolt, turning clockwise. •...
30 days or more. LAWN MOWER When lawn mower is to be stored for a period of time, clean it thoroughly, remove all dirt, grease, leaves, etc. Store in a clean, dry area.
IMPORTANT: NEVER COVER MOWER WHILE ENGINE AND EXHAUST AREAS ARE STILL WARM. CAUTION: Never store the lawn mower with gasoline in the tank inside a build- ing where fumes may reach an open ﬂ ame or spark. Allow the engine to cool...
1. Depress control bar to upper handle before pulling starter rope. 2. Contact a qualiﬁ ed service center. 3. Replace blade adapter. 4. Move lawn mower to cut grass or other hard surface before starting. 1. Raise cutting height. 2. Replace blade.