Replacing a memory module
Attention: Turn off the computer and wait 3 to 5 minutes to let it cool
down before removing the cover.
Note: It may be helpful to place the computer face-down on a soft flat
surface for this procedure. Lenovo recommends that you use a blanket,
towel, or other soft cloth to protect the touch screen from scratching or
1. Remove any media (disks, CDs, or memory cards) from the drives, shut down
the operating system, and turn off the computer and all attached devices.
2. Unplug all power cords from electrical outlets.
3. Disconnect all cables attached to the computer. This includes power cords,
input/output (I/O) cables, and any other cables that are connected to the
computer. Refer to "Left and right view" and "Rear view" for help with locating
the various connectors.
4. Remove the computer cover. Refer to "Removing the computer cover".
5. Push out the latches on both sides of the memory socket to release the memory
module and gently pull the memory module upward to remove it from its socket.
All of the memory modules can be removed by using the same procedure.
6. Align then insert the new memory module into the socket and push down on
the top edge of the memory module. Make sure the latches lock the memory
module in place.
7. Align then slide the computer cover back into position.