The numbered steps of a few procedures are likely to be separate procedures themselves. When this is the case, the numbered step will include a page reference number. COMMENTS? Send your comments to: Cannondale Corporation, Technical Publications, 2 Corporate Drive, Bedford, PA 15522 Or e-mail: email@example.com 8/14/02...
ECU Fault Report window is selected in the software tool. A special communication cable is needed to connect the vehicle to a PC. Refer to "Cannondale Diag- nostic and Maintenance Tool Version 2.0" starting on page 21.
3. Align the latch groove and tab on the ECU socket. Cleaning Rotate the latch in direction (b) until the latch is locked by the locking tab. The latch should oper- 1. Wipe the connector or coupler with a clean, lint- ate freely with your fingers;...
The sensor contains no user serviceable items. Dynamic Test - ECU Monitor 1. Use the ECU Monitor windows of the Cannondale Diagnostic and Maintenance Tool and read the 1. TPS sensor (shown removed) Throttle position (%) field.
Dynamic Test - ECU Monitor Never open the coolant system when the engine is hot. Coolant is hot and under 1. Use the ECU Monitor window of the Cannondale high pressure. It can spray out forcefully Diagnostic and Maintenance Tool to read the and burn or scald you severely.
2. Compare the value with a reading taken manually This sensor detects movement of a toothed wheel in the vicinity of the air temperature tip. If the two that is molded into the flywheel and attached to the values do not correspond closely, the sensor may right side of the crankshaft.
3. Check the condition of the tip insulator. Make sure it is not cracked, burned, melted, dried out. CAUTION : Do not remove the valve from the housing when 4. Make sure the spring is installed with the larger performing this test. end facing the coil.
The fuel pressure regulator maintains the correct NOTE : fuel pressure in the fuel rail (hoses and injectors). It When the ignition switch is turned “ON,” the returns fuel to the tank after fuel passes the fuel installed relay will make an audible “click.” injectors.
FUEL INJECTORS The fuel injectors are positioned as close as pos- sible to the back of the intake valves. The spray pattern is fixed. The length of time duration that the injectors stay open is calculated by the ECU using the calibration file and data received by the various sensors.
Cannondale Diagnostic MAINTENANCE TOOL VERSION 2.0 and Maintenance program group will be installed and a shortcut to the Cannondale Diagnostic and Maintenance tool will be placed on the your desk- This section of the manual describes how to use top.
Enter the Serial provided by the service rep in the ’Device Manager’ Button. DealerCal window. Click Next. 5. Click the ’+’ next to ’Ports’ to expand the available ports detail. If there is a red ’X’ or a yellow ’!’ in front of the Communications Port, a problem exists with your Port Driver.
Data transfers should take no more than 1 minute. If the progress indicator freezes for a long time, close the Cannondale Diagnostic and Maintenance Tool software and try again, Make sure the cables are connected properly and that the vehicle battery is fully charged.
COMMUNICATION CABLE Connecting the communication cable Motorcycles and ATVs have a “diagnostic” con- nector integrated into the main wiring harness. The communication cable connects the PC to the vehicle using the connector. CAUTION : Connect the communication cable with the vehicle engine management system OFF. On 2001 and 2002 Motorcycle models, the diag- nostic connector is located near the ignition coil at the top of the cylinder head.
3. In the ECU Reprogramming Tool window, select the operating code file to send. Click Download. Have an assistant press and continue to hold the The progress indicator will display while the trans- start button. fer take place. When the transfer is complete release the start button.
“calibrations.” To receive 1. Connect the interface cable to the PC and vehicle. 2. Open the Cannondale Diagnostic Tool software on your PC. 3. Power-up the ECU. 4. Click the RECEIVE Calibration File (from ECU) button.
2. Make sure the interface cable is connected to the computer and vehicle securely. 3. Open Cannondale Diagnostic Maintenance Tool software on your PC. 4. Power-up the vehicle engine management system.
the progress indicator. When the send is com- CALIBRATIONS plete, the Send complete prompt will display, click Click Cancel and the “From File” values will not Updating throttle body and fuel injector be sent. They will remain in the currently open calibrations engine calibration file.
ECU MONITOR 1. Open the Cannondale Diagnostic Tool software on your PC. 2. Power-up the vehicle ECU. 3. Click the MONITOR ECU Parameters button. The ECU monitor window will be displayed. Select “Continuous” to view live data. Select “Hold” to take a snap shot and hold the val- ues displayed.
Fault Report window The Fault Report window sample above was taken while the Cannondale Diagnostic Tool was connected to an 2002 X440s motorcycle. This vehicle does not have a cooling fan. The “Cooling Fan open fault” will report when the tool is con- nected to a motorcycle, however, it can be disre- garded.
FAULT TROUBLESHOOTING Consult the following troubleshooting tables when diagnosing a fault reported by the Cannondale Diag- nostic and Maintenance Tool Fault Report window function. Refer to "Reading Fault Codes" starting on page 40. SENSOR SUPPLY VOLTAGE Fault Reported Possible Cause...
0.6 Ohms primary Go to Test 7. resistance across coil pins 1 and Faulty Replace coil, go to Test Done 7. Reconnect ECU, run engine check for presence of fault. Fault still present Contact Cannondale Dealer Service. Circuit Diagram 8/14/02...
FUEL INJECTORS Fault Possible Cause Action Damaged injector or ECU, Injector A short fault (left) harness short circuit Component test the injector. Refer to Injector B short fault (right) - flooding indicates short "Fuel Injectors" starting on page 19. circuit Damaged injector, injector Check that injector harness connector is connector disconnected or...
Go to Test 7. 2°C - relevant injector across ter- minals 1 to 2 Faulty Replace injector go to Test 7. Done 7. Run engine and check for presence of fault. Fault still present Contact Cannondale Dealer Service. Circuit Diagram 8/14/02...
6. Check wire for short circuit” Locate and correct wiring fault and go to Short circuit - P1 D1 to ground Test 7. 7. Reconnect harness, run Done engine and check for presence Fault still present Contact Cannondale Dealer Service. of fault. 8/14/02...
6. Check wire for short circuit” Locate and correct wiring fault and go to - P1 B2 to ground Short circuit Test 7. 7. Reconnect harness, run Done engine and check for presence Fault still present Contact Cannondale Dealer Service. of fault. Circuit Diagram 8/14/02...
- IACV pin A to pin D - IACV pin B to pin C Faulty Replace IACV, go to Test 7. 7. Reconnect harness, run Done engine and check for presence Fault still present Contact Cannondale Dealer Service. of fault. Circuit Diagram 8/14/02...
COMPONENT TESTING (NON-EFI) Test for continuity between both black wires; there should be continuity. Test for continuity between both red wires; there BATTERY should be continuity. Test for short circuit between one of the red wires and the two blacks; there should be no continuity. 1.
ENGINE STOP SWITCH (ATV) STARTER SOLENOID 1. Disconnect the engine stop switch from the main Dynamic Test - Solenoid Function harness. 1. Press the engine start button. On ATVs, the 2. Slide the switch to the RUN position. There additional step of turning the ignition key ON and should be continuity between the two switch pulling in the clutch lever is required before leads.