PIXMA iP1500 SERVICE MANUAL Canon Copyright 2004, Canon U.S.A. This technical publication is the proprietary and confidential information of Canon U.S.A. which shall be retained for reference purposes by Authorized Service Facilities of Canon U.S.A. Its unauthorized use is prohibited.
Power supply Input voltage / Frequency AC 100 to 127 V, 50/60Hz (LV) AC 220 to 240 V, 50/60Hz (HV) Power consumption: During printing Approx. 8 W Stand-by status Approx. 1 W External dimensions With the paper support extended Approx. 416 (W) x 250 (D) x 305 (H) mm (no paper output tray) With the paper support retracted Approx.
3. ERROR DISPLAY Errors are displayed by the LEDs, and ink low warnings are displayed by the Status Monitor. 3-1. Operator Call Error (LED Blinking in Orange) Error Corrective action blinking 2 times Paper out Set paper, and press the Resume/Cancel button to feed the paper.
3-3. Ink Low Warning (Ink low warnings are displayed by the Status Monitor only when the remaining ink level detection is enabled, and no Status Monitor display when disabled.) Note: The Status Monitor display in the table below is for Windows. Warning Display by Status Monitor Ink low warning 1 (approx.
4. SERVICE MODE To conduct the following functions, a host computer (Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP), printer driver and service tool (QY9-0066) for the iP1500 are needed. Function Procedure Remarks Print head manual cleaning Select “Cleaning” from the printer driver’s Maintenance. Cleaning time: Approx.
Parts List Common Part Number Rank Q’ty Description Remark parts QY6-0054-000 PRINT HEAD QC1-4988-000 PAPER SUPPORT UPPER COVER UNIT, WITH QM2-1428-000 BUTTON QC1-4991-000 COVER, I/F QC1-5005-000 EMBLEM (E) QC1-5009-000 EMBLEM (J) QC1-5019-000 LABEL, PIXMA (E) QM2-1441-000 FRONT COVER QM2-1477-000 LOGIC BOARD ASS’Y QK1-0756-000 AC ADAPTER: 100/120V 50/60HZ QK1-0757-000...
6. TROUBLESHOOTING FLOWCHART Power ON Service Call Error? Open access cover, and install print head Service Call Error? Connect to computer < Shipment inspection pattern check items> Shipment inspection See 4. SERVICE MODE for pattern printing printing method. (See APPENDIX 1, SHIPMENT INSPECTION PATTERN 1.) 1.
6-2. Print Head Troubleshooting Flowchart (print head operation confirmation) Connect to computer See 4. SERVICE MODE Nozzle check pattern printing for printing method. Correct? See 4. SERVICE MODE Print head cleaning for cleaning method. Nozzle check pattern printing Correct? See 4. SERVICE MODE Print head deep cleaning for cleaning method.
7. SPECIAL NOTES ON SERVICING 7-1. Resetting the Main and Platen Waste Ink Counters The counters for the main waste ink absorber and the platen waste ink absorber can be reset separately. At waste ink absorber replacement, using the iP1500 service tool, reset the applicable waste ink counter(s).
7-2. Servicing in Asia - Elimination of Major Component Connectors on the Logic Board Ass’y - In the iP1500, the LF and CR motors and the LF encoder are soldered to the logic board ass’y, and the connectors which were used in prior models are eliminated. In addition, the CR flexible cable is soldered to the print head to eliminate the connector.
8. PRODUCT TECHNICAL INFORMATION 8-1. FAQ (Problems specific to the iP1500 and corrective actions) Function Phenomenon Possible Call / Claim Corrective action Cause Installation Carriage error (LED blinks - LED blinks alternately in orange and Remove the packing material fixing the The user may not have removed the alternately in orange and green 2 green, 2 times (carriage error).
(8-1. FAQ (Problems specific to the iP1000 and corrective actions) cont’d) Function Phenomenon Possible Call / Claim Corrective action Cause Image Smearing on printed side. - Smear on the printed side of paper 1. Correct the paper curl. The edge of paper rises due when paper quality - Cannot print properly 2.
8-2. Major Functions (1) Borderless printing (up to A4 and LTR sizes) <Possible problems with this function> - Smearing on the address side of postcards in continuous borderless printing on the message side. -> Perform Bottom Plate cleaning, and clean the ribs on the platen. - Smearing on the backside of paper in continuous borderless printing.
Accuracy: The margin of error of detection accuracy is +/-10% in normal printing. The margin of error is likely to be large in the following specific print patterns: When printing continuously using any one of the CMY colors of ink ->...
(6) Print head alignment The printer has a print head alignment function (print head position adjustment function). As it is not necessary to perform print head alignment at setup or installation of the printer, the function is only briefly introduced at installation. Print head alignment: This is a function to correct displacements between the nozzle lines of the print head, and incorrect print position at bi-directional printing.
APPENDIX 1: SHIPMENT INSPECTION PATTERN 1 Check item 1 (Non-ejection of ink): Total area of the sample below Check item 2 (Top of form) Print EEPROM information -> See below for details. C nozzle check pattern M nozzle check pattern Y nozzle check pattern BK nozzle check pattern Check item 3 (Gray area)
APPENDIX 2: iP1500 SERVICE TOOL <How to use the iP1500 Service Tool (QY9-0066)> Usage:Shipment inspection pattern printing/Destination setting in EEPROM/EEPROM reset Supported OS:Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP (J/E version) : QY9-0066 Distribution method:Provided by SSIS (Download “iP1500 Service Tool” from software download in SSIS.) <Usage procedures>...
<How to reset the waste ink counter> In CLEAR WASTE INK COUNTER (G), select MAIN or PLATEN. The selected waste ink counter will be reset. MAIN resets the main waste ink counter. PLATEN resets the platen waste ink counter. If both the main and platen waste ink absorbers are replaced, reset both the main and platen waste ink counters.