Before you begin trimming,
only use the appropriate
1. Before each use make sure the protective safety guard is tightly installed.
Tighten the guard screw, but DO NOT over tighten.
2. Be sure to check the auxiliary handle before each use, to make sure it is firmly
3. Before trimming,
inspect the area for string, wire, branches, rocks, toys, or
other objects that could be entangled in or thrown by the cutting line.
4. Stand with the cutting head tipped down at an angle in front, guiding the trimmer
in a semi-circular motion around you.
5. Cut from left to right whenever possible. Cutting to the right improves the unit's
cutting efficiency. Clippings are thrown away from the operator.
6. To produce a smoothly trimmed area, move the trimmer in and out of the area
being cut with constant speed and height.
7. Use only the tip of the cutting line to do the trimming, especially near walls and
fences. Trimming with the side of the cutting line may overload the motor, wear
out the line faster, and break the line more often.
8. DO NOT rest the trimmer spool on the ground while you are trimming. This will
cause spool wear.
9. When cutting vegetation that is over 6 inches in height, work from top to bottom
in small increments to avoid premature line wear or engine drag.
10. If the trimmer is not cutting correctly, the auto feed may not be operating
correctly, or the spool may be empty. Remove the spool and identify the problem.
See page 22, AUTOMATIC
LINE FEED SYSTEM and page 23, REPLACE
CUTTING LINE and FILLING SPOOL WiTH CUTTING LINE.
To avoid injury, ALWAYS turn trimmer
off and disconnect
the battery from the trimmer
parts or cleaning the
or making any adjustments.
To avoid damage or electric
shock, DO NOT use strong
solvents or detergents
on the plastic housing
or plastic components.
may damage plastic and may also cause a
Wipe the outside of the trimmer with a dry, soft cloth. DO NOT hose down or wash
with water. Scrape the guard and spool area to remove dried clippings
and mud. Brush or blow dust, debris and grass clippings out of the air vents. Keep
the vents free of obstruction.
The use of attachments
that are not
recommended for this tool might be dangerous
and could result
injury. Do not attempt to use fishing
line or other lines that are not
Replace the cutting line ONLY with 0.065 inch (1.65 mm) twisted (helical or spiral)
shaped, not round, line for auto feed. Craftsman Professional 0.065-in. replacement
trimmer line, 71-85911,
in packs of 240ft., is recommended.
Replace the spool with a new pre-wound spool (Craftsman Automatic Feed Spool
item number 71-85937). Line and spools are available at Sears Stores or other
battery packs (71-28131) are available for purchase at Sears stores and
other Craftsman outlets, Sears Service Centers, and through the craftsman.com
To avoid injury, ALWAYS remove the battery from the
parts or cleaning the trimmer
or making any