To obtain a more detailed electronic copy of this manual or much further contents, go to Para obtener una copia electrónica más detallada de este manual o mucho otras contenido, visite www.sanyo-av.com Need help? 1 866 212 0436 Please call toll free or visit our web site above: ¿Necesita ayuda?
CONTENTS INTRODUCTION ..........3 LIST OF SETTINGS ......... 38 Safety instructions ............ 3 SETUPS ............42 Included accessories ..........4 Network connection ..........42 FEATURES ............5 HDMI CEC ..............49 Features ..............5 HDMI video resolution ........... 50 System information ..........7 Parental ..............
Register Online at www.sanyo-av.com/support/ today to get the most benefits from your purchase. Registering your model with SANYO makes you eligible for all of the valuable benefits such as software upgrades and important product notifications. Register Online at www.sanyo-av.com/support/ 1. INTRODUCTION 1.1.
• Remote control (NC453UL) • Quick start guide SANYO is a registered trademark of SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. and is used by Funai Electric Co., Ltd. and Funai Corporation, Inc. under license from SANYO Electric Co., Ltd. Any liability related to SANYO products, including design and quality, is the sole responsibility of Funai Electric Co., Ltd.
2. FEATURES 2.1. Features Blu-ray Disc™ BD-Live™ You can enjoy Blu-ray Disc™ which is capable of BD-Live™ (BD-ROM version 2 Profile 2.0) that allows interactive functions to be used when this storing five times more data than a conventional DVD. unit is connected to the Internet in addition to the BD-Java BONUSVIEW™...
Netflix With this unit, you can enjoy movies and TV episodes streamed instantly from Netflix via the Internet. In order to use this feature, you must visit www.netflix.com/ on your PC and become a Netflix member. VUDU This unit supports VUDU which is the leading HD on- demand video service.
“System Information” screen provides information about this unit’s software version. You can also download the latest software from the SANYO website and update it yourself if it is newer than the version currently on your unit. The current version of software on your unit can be seen on the “System Information”...
3. FUNCTIONAL OVERVIEW 3.1. Front panel 3* 4* 5* 6 * The unit can also be turned on by pressing this button. 1. Disc tray (POWER) button* 2. Infrared sensor window 6. Power-on indicator (OPEN/CLOSE) button* 7. USB input (PLAY/PAUSE) button* • Press to start playback.
3.3. Remote control (SKIP) button • During playback, press once to return to the beginning of the current title, chapter, track or file. • During playback, press twice to return to the previous title, chapter, track or file. • During photo playback, press to return to the previous file.
Note C Using the remote control • Use the included remote control. Remote-control Remote control usage guidelines: operation on any other remote control, such as a • Make sure that there are no obstacles between the universal remote control, is not guaranteed. remote control and the infrared sensor window on the unit.
3.4. Guide to on-screen display C Home menu When you turn on the unit, home menu will appear automatically. Otherwise, press [HOME]. Disc Setup Netflix VUDU YouTube 1. “Disc”: Initiates playback of inserted disc, displays a list of tracks / files. 2.
4. CONNECTIONS 4.1. Connection to a TV C HDMI connection (Supports up to 1080i , 1080p , 1080p/24 resolution.) Your TV HDMI cable (not included) HDMI OUT HDMI IN (*1) 1080i: Outputs video data with a frame rate of 30 frames per second. (*2) 1080p: Outputs video data with a frame rate of 60 frames per second.
4.2. Connection to an audio system • When you change the connections, all devices should be turned off. • When connecting the unit to an external audio system, refer to the user manual for setup / configuration help. C HDMI audio connection AV receiver/amplifier with an HDMI input jack HDMI cable...
4.3. HDMI audio output “Audio Output” > “HDMI” setting Bitstream Re-encode Media Source Dolby Digital Dolby Digital 2ch PCM Dolby Digital Dolby Digital Plus Dolby Digital Plus 2ch PCM Dolby Digital Plus (*1) Dolby TrueHD Dolby TrueHD 2ch PCM Dolby TrueHD (*1) 2ch PCM DTS-HD...
4.4. Connection to the network By connecting this unit to the Internet, you can update its software via the Internet, access BD-Live™ and other network services such as Netflix, VUDU and YouTube™. - Software update: For more information, refer to “Network update” on page 55. - BD-Live™: For more information, refer to “Enjoying BD-Live™...
C Wireless connection Internet Wireless router Ethernet cable (not included) Note • If using the wireless connection, refer to “Wireless connection” on page 45 to configure network settings. For a wireless router, use a router that supports IEEE 802.11 b/g/n specifications. (“n”...
5. BEFORE YOU START 5.1. Finding a viewing HDMI input on your TV After you have completed all of the connections to your TV, review the steps below. 1. Press [y(POWER)] to turn on the unit. 2. Turn on your TV. 3.
C How to reset the OSD language You can reset the OSD language if you selected the wrong language. 1. Press [HOME] to display the home menu. 2. Use [ ] to select “ ”, then press [OK]. • This item is “Setup” (English) / “Instalación” (Spanish) / “Installation” (French). • From here on, please select one of the following items you can find on screen: 3.
6. INFORMATION ON PLAYBACK 6.1. Information on playback C Playable discs and files Playable discs Logos Blu-ray Disc™ - BD-Video - BD-RE* (ver. 2.1) (Recorded in BDMV format) - BD-R* (ver. 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3) (Recorded in BDMV format) (Unfinalized disc may not be played back.) DVD-Video DVD-RW...
C Recommended specifications AVCHD This unit cannot play back stand-alone AVCHD files (*.m2ts, *.mts or *.m2t) written to a DVD or copied to an SD memory card. The DVD or SD memory card containing AVCHD files must have a proper file and folder structure meeting AVCHD format specifications.
C Unplayable media and files The following discs will not be played back on this unit. • CD-ROM • CD-I (compact disc-interactive) • DVD-RAM • VSD (video single disc) • DVD-audio • video CD • HD DVD • SVCD • SDXC memory card • microSDXC memory card • unfinalized disc • BD-RE (ver.
C Description for icons ] : Folder icon ] : Music file icon ] : Photo file icon - “Folders” refers to the group of files. - “Track” refers to the contents recorded on the Audio CD. - “Files” refers to the contents on a disc which are recorded in AVCHD or JPEG / PNG / MP3 / FLAC / AAC / WAV file format.
6.3. How to insert a disc 1. Press [ (OPEN/CLOSE)] to open the disc tray. 2. Place the disc on the disc tray with its label side facing up. 3. Press [ (OPEN/CLOSE)] to close the disc tray. • It may take a while to load the disc. Align the disc to the disc tray guide.
7. BASIC PLAYBACK 7.1. Playing back a disc PHOTO PHOTO MUSIC MUSIC [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] [JPEG] [CD] [MUSIC] FILE FILE FILE FILE VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO 1. Insert a disc (refer to “How to insert a disc” on page 23). • When the disc is BD / DVD / AVCHD / Audio CD, playback starts automatically.
C Resume-on-stop mode Blu-ray Disc™ / DVD / AVCHD When you press [OK] next time, playback will start from the point where it had been stopped. If you press [RETURN] instead of [OK], playback will start from the beginning. Audio CD Playback will start from the point where it was stopped next time you press [OK].
7.3. Using the t itle / disc / pop menu [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO Some BD-Videos, DVD-Videos or AVCHD files may contain a title menu which describes the contents of the disc, or a disc menu which guides you through the available functions on the disc. • With such discs, a title menu or a disc menu may appear automatically when you insert the disc.
8. SPECIAL PLAYBACK 8.1. Fast forward / fast reverse MUSIC MUSIC [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] [CD] [MUSIC] FILE FILE VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO 1. During playback, press [ (FORWARD)] repeatedly for fast forward. During playback, press [ (REVERSE)] repeatedly for fast reverse.
8.4. Repeat playback Available repeat functions vary depending on the disc. 1. During playback, press [MODE] to display the play menu. 2. Use [ ] to select “Repeat”, then press [OK]. 3. Use [ ] to select the desired repeat mode, then press [OK]. REPEAT MODE AVAILABLE MEDIA Chapter repeat...
8.6. Slide show PHOTO PHOTO [JPEG] FILE FILE 1. Follow steps 1 and 2 in “Playing back a disc” on page 24. 2. Open the folder which contains the desired photo files. 3. Use [ ] to select a desired file to be played back, then press [ (PLAY/PAUSE)] or [OK].
8.7. PiP (BONUSVIEW™) setting [BD Video] VIDEO VIDEO Some BD-Videos have the PiP function which enables you to display the secondary video in the primary video. 1. During playback, press [MODE] to display the play menu. 2. Use [ ] to select “PiP” then press [OK]. • PiP information will appear.
8 .9 . T itle / chapter search [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO C Using [ (SKIP)] / [ (SKIP)] 1. During playback, press [ (SKIP)] to skip the current title or chapter and move to the next. The title or chapter will move forward one at a time.
8.11. Time search MUSIC MUSIC [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] [MUSIC] [CD] FILE FILE VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO 1. During playback, press [MODE] to display the play menu. 2. Use [ ] to select “Search”, then press [OK]. 3.
8.13. Switching subtitles Some video materials may have subtitles in one or more languages. For commercially available discs, the supported languages can be found on the disc case. Follow the steps below to switch the subtitle language during playback. [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD...
8.14. Switching audio soundtrack When playing back video material recorded with two or more soundtracks (these are often in different audio languages or audio formats), you can switch between them during playback. [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO...
8.15. Switching camera angles [DVD Video] [BD Video] VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO Some BD-Videos and DVD-Videos contain scenes which have been shot simultaneously from various angles. You can change the camera angle when appears on the TV screen. 1. During playback, press [MODE] to display the play menu. 2.
8.17. Closed caption [DVD Video] [BD Video] AVCHD AVCHD [AVCHD] VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO VIDEO Closed caption displays subtitles in synchronization with the video. 1. During playback, press [MODE] to display the play menu. 2. Use [ ] to select “CC Select”, then press [OK]. 3.
9. NETWORK FEATURES 9.1. Before using network features Please follow the instructions below before using network features. 1. Connect this unit to the Internet. • Refer to “Connection to the network” on page 15. 2. Set up necessary network connection settings. • Refer to “Network connection”...
10. LIST OF SETTINGS In “Setup”, you can customize various kinds of settings as you prefer. Refer to the following instructions to navigate through the setup menu. 1. Press [HOME] to access the home menu. 2. Use [ ] to select “Setup”, then press [OK]. 3.
Settings Category Menus / Options Mode Settings Language Subtitle French Portuguese Chinese German Russian Danish Italian Spanish Dutch Japanese Swedish English Korean More Finnish Norwegian Streaming Content Netflix Information Netflix Deactivate Netflix VUDU Deactivate VUDU YouTube Deactivate YouTube Security Change Password Parental Control System HDMI CEC...
Settings Category Menus / Options Display Setting Closed Caption Font style Default Monospaced with serifs Proportionally spaced with serifs Monospaced without serifs Proportionally spaced without serifs Casual font type Cursive font type Small capitals Font opacity Solid Translucent Transparent Font edge Default Uniform None...
Settings Category Menus / Options Audio Setting Voice Guide Voice Guide Voice Guide Volume Loud Medium Soft Voice Guide Speed Fast Normal Slow Voice Guide Pitch High Medium Voice Guide Detailed Verbosity Basic Audio Output HDMI Bitstream Re-encode Dolby DRC Auto System Information...
11. SETUPS 11.1. Network connection HOME A “Setup” A “ ” A “Network” Perform the network connection setup in order to use network features, such as BD-Live™, Netflix, VUDU, YouTube™ and the network update function. C Connection test After you enable a network connection or change network settings, always perform the connection test to check to see if the connection is correctly made.
Manual In the following cases, configure each setting as necessary. - When connection test failed with auto setting. - When instructed by your Internet service provider to make specific settings in accordance with your network environment. IP setting 1. Use [ ] to select “Setup”...
Proxy setting 1. Follow steps 1 to 3 in “IP setting” on page 43. 2. Use [ ] to select “Proxy Setting”, then press [OK]. 3. Use [ ] to select “Enable”, then press [OK]. 4. Use [ ] to select “Proxy Host”, then press [OK]. 5.
C Wireless connection If you connect this unit to a wireless network, select “Wireless” and set up necessary settings. Please make a note of your SSID (Service Set Identifier – Wireless Network Name) and its WEP* / WPA / WPA2 Key before proceeding with the setup.
Scan 1. Follow steps 1 to 5 in “Auto” on page 45. 2. Use [ ] to select “Scan”, and use [ ] to select “Next”, then press [OK]. • This unit will automatically start searching for nearby wireless networks. 3.
6. Use [ ] to select “Next”, then press [OK]. Setup Network Language WPA-PSK ********** Streaming Co... Security System Previous Next Exit 7. “Connection success and IP is obtained.” will be displayed. Press [OK] to complete the settings. Note • The Internal wireless LAN supports following specifications. - Wireless standards: IEEE 802.11 b/g/n - Frequency: 2.4 GHz - Security protocol: WEP* / WPA / WPA2...
7. “WEP / WPA / WPA2 Key” entry screen will appear. Use [ ] to select the WEP / WPA/ WPA2 password entry field, then press [OK]. The software keyboard will appear. 8. Enter the WEP/WPA/WPA2 password of the selected wireless network using cursor buttons and [OK]. After completing the password entry, select “Enter”, then press [OK].
11.2. HDMI CEC HOME A “Setup” A “ ” A “System” A “HDMI CEC” HDMI CEC allows integrated system control over HDMI and is part of the HDMI standard. This function may not work properly depending on the device connected to the unit. When “HDMI CEC” setting is set to “On” the functions listed below will be available.
11.3. HDMI video resolution HOME A “Setup” A “ ” A “TV” A “Resolution” Sets the resolution of the video signal output from the HDMI OUT jack. C Set up resolution 1. Use [ ] to select “Setup” in the home menu, then press [OK]. 2.
Note • The selected resolution must also be supported by your display device. • If your TV and the unit are connected by a DVI cable and if “Auto” is selected, “480p” will be automatically in effect. • Refer also to your TV’s manual. • When connected to an HDCP incompatible display device, the picture will not be displayed properly.
11.4. Parental Some BD-Videos or DVD-Videos feature parental lock levels. Playback will stop if the ratings of the content exceed the levels you set on the player, it will require you to enter a password before the disc will play back. This feature prevents your children from viewing inappropriate material.
C BD / DVD rating level HOME A “Setup” A “ ” A “Security” A “Parental Control” 1. Use [ ] to select “Setup” in the home menu, then press [OK]. 2. Use [ ] to select “ ”, then press [OK]. 3.
Prepare a blank disc or USB memory stick for software update: Navigate to www.sanyo-av.com website, and download the latest software version to a blank disc or USB memory stick using a PC by following the directions described on the website.
C Network update You can update the software of this unit via the Internet if it is connected to the Internet. 1. Follow steps 2 to 5 in “Disc / USB memory stick update” on page 54. 2. Use [ ] to select “Network”, then press [OK].
11.6. Voice guide HOME A “Setup” A “ ” A “Voice Guide” Menus to configure various settings for the voice guide function. 1. Use [ ] to select “Setup” in the home menu, then press [OK]. 2. Use [ ] to select “ ”, then press [OK].
11.7. Restore default settings HOME A “Setup” A “ ” A “System” A “Load Default” This unit will be reset to factory default settings. All the settings will be Initialized. 1. Use [ ] to select “Setup” in the home menu, then press [OK]. 2.
12. TROUBLESHOOTING Problem T ip No power. Check if the AC power cord is properly connected. Try another power outlet. Unplug the AC power cord, and wait for about 5-10 seconds. Plug it back in and attempt to power on the unit. No sound or picture.
Problem T ip A music/photo file does not play. Confirm that the file type is supported. Refer to page 20 for the compatible file extensions. The file may be corrupted. Check to see if it is playable on a PC or other devices. No return to start-up screen when Soft reset this unit by turning it off for 30 seconds, then on again.
Problem T ip Cannot load a Blu-ray Disc™ (that Unplug unit from AC outlet for 20 seconds. Plug unit back in and press is stuck in loading mode and the [ (OPEN/CLOSE)] on the unit to eject the disc. cannot open the disc tray to eject the disc.
Problem T ip Cannot connect to the network Check the content of your Internet service contract to see if your Internet while my PC is connected to the service provider prevents multiple terminals connecting at the same time. network. You are not sure if the unit is Perform the connection test.
13. SPECIFICATIONS General Signal system NTSC Color Power requirements 120 V AC, 60 Hz Power consumption 15 W (standby: 0.5 W) Dimensions (width x height x depth) 11.1 x 1.7 x 7.9 inches (280.0 x 41.0 x 198.5 mm) Weight 2.2 lbs.
14. NETWORK SERVICE DISCLAIMER Content and services made available through this product are transmitted by third parties by means of networks and transmission facilities over which Company has no control and third party services may be terminated or interrupted at any time, and Company makes no representation or warranty that any content or service will remain available for any period of time.
Eject the disc (if possible), disconnect the USB memory stick (if connected to the unit), place the unit into standby mode, unplug the AC power cord, and please contact: 1-866-212-0436 or visit : www.sanyo-av.com C Cleaning the cabinet • Wipe the front panel and other exterior surfaces of the unit with a soft cloth.
16. TRADEMARK INFORMATION “Blu-ray Disc™”, “Blu-ray™” and “Blu-ray Disc™” logo are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association. “x.v.Color” and “x.v.Color” logo are trademarks of Sony Corporation. “BD-Live™” and “BD-Live™” logo are trademarks of the Blu-ray Disc Association. is a trademark of DVD Format/Logo Licensing Corporation.
THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSE FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE AVC STANDARD (“AVC VIDEO”) AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON- COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE...
17. GLOSSARY AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) Cinavia™ AAC is an audio compression method used in the Cinavia Notice video compression standards MPEG-2/MPEG-4. In This product uses Cinavia technology to limit the AAC, the audio can be compressed 1.4 times smaller use of unauthorized copies of some commercially- than MP3, while the sound quality is equivalent to produced film and videos and their soundtracks.
DNS Server LAN (Local Area Network) A server which translates Internet domain names into A group of computer networks covering a small area IP addresses. like a company, school or home. Dolby Audio - Dolby Digital Local Storage The system to compress digital sound developed by A storage area of sub contents for playing virtual Dolby Laboratories.
Sampling Frequency The rate which sound is measured by a specified interval to turn into digital audio data. The numbers of sampling in one second defines as sampling frequency. The higher the rate, the better the sound quality. Subnet Mask A mask which is used to determine what subnet an IP address belongs to.
Note: Any product sold and identified as refurbished or renewed Contact the Customer Care Center at: carries a ninety (90) day limited warranty. www.sanyo-av.com Replacement product can only be sent if all warranty requirements are met. Failure to follow all requirements can 1 866 212 0436 result in delay.
18. ESPAÑOL 18.1. Mando a distancia 6. Botón (REPRODUCIR/PAUSAR) • Púlselo para iniciar la reproducción. • Púlselo para pausar la reproducción. 7. Botón (SALTAR) • Durante la reproducción, púlselo una vez para volver al comienzo del título, capítulo, pista o archivo actual.
Nota • Use el control remoto suministrado. No se garantiza la operación de control remoto en cualquier otro control remoto, tal como un control remoto universal. 18.2. Encontrar el HDMI en su televisor Revise los siguientes pasos despues de haber completado todas las conexiones a su TV. 1.
18.3. Instalacion inicial Por favor, siga las instrucciones que se exponen a continuacion para completar la configuracion inicial. 1. Mientras se muestra la pantalla de bienvenida, presione [OK]. 2. Aparece la pantalla de configuracion del idioma. Utilice [ ] para seleccionar su idioma y pulse luego [OK].
Comuníquese con el Centro de Atención al Cliente al: por o para la compañía que se pueden identiﬁcar por la marca www.sanyo-av.com registrada, el nombre comercial o por tener el logotipo correspondiente. Esta garantía limitada no se aplica a ningún 1 866 212 0436 producto de hardware ni de software que no sea de la compañía,...