Summary of Contents for Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Instructions...
Thank you for purchasing a Canon product. Canon’s EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM and EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM are high-performance super- telephoto lenses, for use with EOS cameras. “IS” stands for Image Stabilizer. “USM” stands for Ultrasonic Motor. Features 1.
Safety Precautions Handling Cautions If the lens is taken from a cold environment into a warm one, condensation may develop on the lens surface and internal parts. To prevent condensation in this case, first put the lens into an airtight plastic bag before taking it from a cold to warm environment.
Safety Precautions This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) This device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation. Do not make any changes or modifications to the equipment unless otherwise specified in the instructions.
Nomenclature Hood mount (→ 14) Playback ring (→ 9) AF stop button (→ 7) Image stabilizer mode selector switch (→ 11) Image stabilizer switch (→ 11) Focus preset button (→ 8) Focus preset switch (→ 8) Focus mode switch (→ 6) The illustrations used in the explanations in this manual show, with a few exceptions, the EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, but the EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM is used in the same way.
If the rubber ring becomes worn, it is replaceable by a Canon Service Center at cost. Attaching the strap Thread the end of the strap through the strap mount on the lens and then back through the clasp on the strap.
2. Setting the Focus Mode To shoot in autofocus (AF) mode, set the focus mode switch to AF. To shoot in manual focus (MF) mode, set the focus mode switch to MF, and focus by turning the focusing ring. The focusing ring always works, regardless of the focus mode.
The AF stop function also works in AI Servo AF mode. Angle positioning of the AF stop button is adjustable by a Canon Service Center at cost. With the EOS 630/600, RT, A2/A2E/5, or 10S/10 set to the AI Servo AF mode and continuous shooting, AF will not resume even after you let go of the AF stop button.
5. Focus Preset By presetting any focusing distance, you can instantly focus at that point even while you are shooting a different subject. This function operates in any of the AF, PF, and MF modes. < How to Set > Set the focus preset switch to ON or Press the shutter button...
Focus Preset < How to Focus at the Preset Distance > By turning the playback ring to the left or right, the focus shifts as far as the preset distance. Focus will shift freely released of AF focusing while the playback ring is still turned. If the focus preset switch was set to will sound twice.
6. Power Focus (PF) Mode Using the playback ring enables smooth focus change. This is a useful feature for changing focus when shooting movies. With the focus preset switch set to OFF, set the focus mode switch to PF. When the playback ring is rotated in a certain direction, focus changes in the same direction as when the focusing ring is rotated.
7. Image Stabilizer You can use the image stabilizer in AF, PF, or MF mode. Set the STABILIZER switch to ON. If you are not going to use the image stabilizer function, set the switch to OFF. Select the stabilizer mode. MODE 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions.
8. Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer The image stabilizer for this lens is effective for hand-held shots in the following conditions. MODE 1 In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or outdoors at night. In locations where flash photography is prohibited, such as art museums and theater stages.
Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer The Image Stabilizer cannot compensate for a blurred shot caused by a subject that moved. Set the STABILIZER switch to OFF when you are taking pictures using the Bulb setting (long exposures). If the STABILIZER switch is set to ON, the image stabilizer function may introduce errors.
9. Infinity Compensation Mark Infinity compensation mark Distance index To compensate for shifting of the infinity focus point that results from changes in temperature. The infinity position at normal temperature is the point at which the vertical line of the distance scale L mark is aligned with the distance index.
11. Fitting the Lens Cap Reverse the lens hood, slip it over the lens, and tighten the lock knob to fix it in place. Lift the hook and loop fastener, and fit the cap so that the lock knob rides up the slot in the cap.
12. Case Slot Keyhole Put the lens away as follows. Reverse the lens hood, slip it over the lens, and attach the lens cap. Position the tripod mount towards you as shown and place it in the case. Place so that the hood’s lock knob rests in the slot near you.
Replacing the Tripod Mount f/2.8L IS II USM only) Replacement with the included monopod mount can be done at a Canon Service Center at cost. Since the mount requires special fastening, as a safety precaution, do not replace the mount yourself.
15. Drop-In Filters A 52(WII)-series drop-in gelatin filter holder with a glass filter is included with the lens. The drop- in filter holder can be used fitted with a gelatin filter (sold separately). <Installing and Removing> To remove the drop-in filter, press in the left and right lock buttons and pull the filter holder straight up out of the slot.
16. Extenders (Sold Separately) Lens specifications when using extender EF1.4× II/III or EF2× II/III are as follows. Focal length (mm) Aperture Diagonal Vertical Angle of view Horizontal Maximum magnification (×) Attach the extender to the lens, and then attach the lens to the camera. To remove it, reverse the order. Errors may occur if you attach the extender to the camera first.
17. Extension Tubes (Sold Separately) You can attach extension tube EF12 II or EF25 II for magnified shots. The shooting distance and magnification are shown below. EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Focusing Distance Range (mm) Close distance Long distance Close distance Long distance EF12 II 1700 7529...
The Close-up Lenses 250D and 500D cannot be attached. Aperture settings are specified on the camera. All data listed is measured according to Canon standards. Product specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice. EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM 300mm f/2.8...