Thank you for purchasing a Canon product. The Canon EF300mm f/4L IS USM lens is a high-performance telephoto zoom lens for EOS cameras, and it is equipped with an Image Stabilizer. • "IS" stands for Image Stabilizer. • "USM" stands for Ultrasonic Motor.
a Safety Precautions a Safety Precautions • Do not look at the sun or a bright light source through the lens or camera. Doing so could result in loss of vision. Looking at the sun directly through the lens is especially hazardous. •...
1. Mounting and Detaching the Lens See your camera’s instructions for details on mounting and detaching the lens. • After detaching the lens, place the lens with the rear end up to prevent the lens surface and electrical contacts from getting scratched. •...
3. Switching the Focusing Distance Range You can set the focusing distance range to 1.5 m/4.9 ft. to infinity or 3 m/9.8 ft. to infinity. By setting the suitable focusing distance range, the actual autofocusing time can be shorter. If you autofocus outside the set focusing distance range, the lens may stop focusing at the start of the focusing range;...
5. Image Stabilizer Settings You can use the image stabilizer in AF or MF mode. Set the STABILIZER switch • If you are not going to use the image stabilizer function, set the switch to Select the stabilizer mode. • MODE 1: Corrects vibrations in all directions.
6. Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer The image stabilizer in this lens is effective for hand-held shots under the following conditions. ● MODE 1 • In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or outdoors at night. • In locations where flash photography is prohibited, such as art museums and theater stages.
Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer • The Image Stabilizer cannot compensate for a blurred shot caused by a subject that moved. • Set the STABILIZER switch using a tripod. If the Stabilizer switch is set to the image stabilizer function may introduce errors. •...
7. Using the Tripod Mount Adjusting the Revolving Mount You can loosen the orientation lock-knob on the tripod mount to allow it to rotate as needed to fit a particular camera model for switching between vertical and horizontal positions. Detaching Use the following procedures to remove and attach the tripod mount.
(Sold separately) You can attach filters to the filter mounting thread on the front of the lens. • If you need a polarizing filter, use the Canon Circular Polarizing Filter (77mm). • To adjust the polarizing filter, first store the lens hood.
10. Extension Tubes You can attach Extension Tube EF12 II or EF25 II for magnified shots. The shooting distance and magnification are shown below. Camera-to-Subject Distance (mm) Near EF12 II 1338 7795 EF25 II 1216 3946 Manual focusing is recommended for accurate focusing.
12. Extenders (Sold separately) With Extender EF1.4X ll or EF2X ll attached, the lens specifications will change as follows: Item Focal length (mm) Aperture Diagonal Angle of view Vertical Horizontal Maximum magnification (×) • First attach the Extender to the lens, then attach the lens to the camera. Detach it from the camera in the reverse order.
• The size and weight listed are for the lens only, except as indicated. • Aperture settings are specified on the camera. • All data listed is measured according to Canon standards. • Product specifications and appearance are subject to change without notice.