Additional Safety Information
• This set should only be moved by two or
more people. If the set needs to be
transported, it should be protected to insure
that it is not subject to shock, vibration or
• The slots and openings in the cabinet and in
the back and bottom are provided for the
necessary ventilation. To ensure reliable
operation of the set, and to protect it from
overheating, these slots and openings must
never be blocked or covered.
• After transporting the set directly from a cold
to a warm location, or if the room
temperature has changed suddenly, pictures
may be blurred or show poor colour over
portions of the picture. This is because
moisture has condensed on the mirrors or
lenses inside the set. Let the moisture
evaporate before using the set.
• To obtain a clear picture, do not expose the
screen to direct illumination or direct
sunlight. If possible, use spot lighting
directed down from the ceiling.
• The screen of this display unit has an anti-
reflection screen coating. To avoid screen
degradation, follow the points mentioned
below. Do not push on or scratch with hard
objects, or throw anything at the screen. The
screen may be damaged.
– Be sure to unplug the mains lead connected
to the media receiver unit from the mains
– Do not touch the display panel after
operating continuously for along period as
the display panel becomes hot.
– The screen of this display unit has an anti-
reflection screen coating. We recommend
that the screen surface is touched as little as
– Clean the screen with the supplied cleaning
cloth or a soft cloth lightly moistened with
a mild detergent solution.
– Never use any type of abrasive pad,
scouring powder, or solvent, such as
alcohol or benzine. This type of contact may
result in damage to the screen surface.
• The TV set is not disconnected from the
mains when the switch is in Off position. To
disconnect completely the set, pull the plug
from the mains.
• Note on use in highlands
When used at an altitude of greater than 1900
m or 6248 feet (air pressure less than 800hPa),
this Plasma Display Panel may generate a
low buzzing sound as a result of the
Checking the Accessories Supplied
See page 32.
difference between the interior and exterior
air pressure of the panels. This is not
considered a defect and is not covered by the
Sony Warranty. This buzzing sound is an
inherent characteristic of any Plasma display
Use of this set near the seashore may subject the
set to excessive salt, corrosion and internal
damage and result in deterioration of the set's
performance. If the set will be subjected to any
of these conditions, steps should be taken to
reduce the humidity and temperature of the
area where the set is located.
On image retention
• If the following images are displayed for an
extended period time, image retention
(afterimage) in areas of the screen may result
due to the characteristics of the Plasma
– Black bars at the top and bottom that
appear with a wide video source (Letterbox
– Black bars to the left and right that appear
with a 4:3 video source (conventional TV
– Video game sources
– PC images
– DVD on-screen menu displays
– On-screen menus, channel numbers, etc., of
connected equipment such as Set top box,
Cable modem, VCR, etc.
The risk of this is higher if the set is in "Live"
mode or has a high contrast setting. This
image cannot be removed once burnt onto
the screen. To avoid the risk of image
retention do not leave the TV set operating on
such a picture, or programme for a long time,
use the "Screen Saver" function or lower the
contrast setting. Repeated extended daily
usage of the same image, or programme can
also result in this occurrence. IMAGE
RETENTION IS NOT COVERED BY THE
• To reduce image retention, this TV set has the
"Screen Saver" function. The default setting
of the "Orbit" function in "Screen Saver" is
• The "Screen Saver" function prevents and
reduces image retention.
• With extensive use of this TV set in 4:3 mode,
the 4:3 screen area might become darker
within a 16:9 panel. To avoid this problem,
the "Smart" picture mode should be used.