Thank you for purchasing this CASIO product. Be sure you read this
User's Guide before trying to operate it. To ensure your personal safety,
make you pay particular attention to the section titled "SAFETY
• Keep this User's Guide in a safe place for future reference.
• This Blood Pressure Monitor Base Unit is designed for taking accurate
blood pressure readings at home or some other fixed location. It
displays systolic and diastolic blood pressure values, and pulse rate
• It is also used for setting basic data on the Blood Pressure Monitor
Watch (BP-1B Series). See the "Module No. 2420 User's Guide" for
full details about setting the Watch's basic data.
• All mentions of "Base Unit" in this manual refer to the CASIO Digital
Blood Pressure Monitor Base Unit (BP-1MY), and "Watch" refers to
the CASIO Blood Pressure Monitor Watch (BP-1B Series).
• Self-diagnosis of your physical condition based on the measurement
results of the Base Unit is extremely dangerous. Make sure you
always consult your physician concerning your physical condition.
• Do not use a mobile phone or other device that emits radio waves in
the vicinity of the Base Unit while taking blood pressure readings. Do
not take blood pressure readings in the vicinity of a TV, microwave
oven, etc. Doing so can produce incorrect readings.
• Never use the Base Unit for any other purpose other than taking blood
• Do not use the Base Unit to measure the blood pressure of young
• Never try to take the Base Unit or cuff apart, and never modify them in
any way. Doing so can lead to malfunction of the Base Unit and other
Incorrect use of batteries can cause corrosive fluid to leak from them,
and creates the risk of fire and personal injury due to exploding batteries.
To avoid such problems, make sure you carefully observe the following
• Always make sure that the (+)/(–) polarity of batteries is correct when
you load them.
• Never mix new batteries with old ones.
• Never mix batteries of different types.
• Be sure to remove the batteries from the Base Unit if you do not plan
to use it for a long time.
• Use only the batteries that are specifically recommended for the Base
• Take care when using your fingernail to remove batteries from the
battery compartment. Pulling on batteries can cause long nails to
• Do not use the Base Unit if it appears to be malfunctioning, damaged,
KEEPING ATTUNED TO YOUR BLOOD
Your blood pressure is like a constant message from your body.
Monitoring your blood pressure provides you with vital feedback about
your current physical condition. High blood pressure, for example, often
shows no symptoms of its own, and so except for an abnormally high
measurement reading. Left undetected and untreated, high blood
pressure can often lead to more serious, life-threatening illness.
All of this means that daily blood pressure readings for the purpose of
detecting early warning signs from our bodies are an essential part of
any comprehensive personal health management program.
The CASIO Blood Pressure Monitor Watch and Base Unit make it
possible for you to take quick and easy blood pressure readings at
home and while you are out. Together, they provide you with
essential blood pressure data throughout the day.
The Base Unit is a cuff type digital blood pressure monitor that measures
your systolic and diastolic blood pressure, as well as your pulse rate. It is
also used for setting basic data on the Watch.
This Watch measures blood pressure using a fingertip pulse wave
detection system. After you use the Base Unit to measure your basic
data and send it to the Watch, you can use the Watch to take readings,
without applying pressure to your upper arm. Simply place your finger
onto the Watch's sensor and your blood pressure and pulse rate appear
in a few moments.
The Story of Blood Pressure
What is Blood Pressure?
Blood pressure represents the change in pressure against the interior of
artery walls, which is caused by blood being sent through the circulatory
system by each beat of the heart. There are actually two blood pressure
values: systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure.
Systolic blood pressure is the pressure exerted by the blood when the
heart contracts, causing artery walls to expand.
Diastolic blood pressure, on the other hand, is the pressure exerted by
the blood when the heart expands, and artery walls return to their
What causes blood pressure to change?
A variety of different factors can cause a change in blood pressure,
including age, climate, emotional stress, gender, living environment, and
• Average systolic blood pressure tends to rise with age due to natural
loss of elasticity in arterial walls.
While you are out