Refer to the User’s Guide supplied with each Kidde product for interconnect com- patible models, brands, and devices. Refer to the wiring instructions in section 3 for NFPA initiating device limits.
Distributed under U.S. NRC License No. 32-23858-01E. Manufactured in compli- ance with U.S. NRC safety criteria in 10 CFR 32.27. The purchaser is exempt from any regulatory requirements. Do not try to repair the smoke alarm yourself. Refer to the instructions in Section 12 for service.
• Smoke, heat, and combustion products rise to the ceiling and spread horizon- tally. Mounting the smoke alarm on the ceiling in the center of the room places it closest to all points in the room. Ceiling mounting is preferred in ordinary residential construction.
In such units, install the smoke alarm on an inside wall with the top edge of the alarm at a minimum of 4” (10 cm) and a maximum of 12” (30.5 cm) below the ceiling (see FIGURE 1).
• When alarms are interconnected, all interconnected units must be powered from a single circuit. • A maximum of 24 Kidde devices may be interconnected in a multiple station arrangement. The interconnect system should not exceed the NFPA intercon- nect limit of 12 smoke alarms and/or 18 alarms total (smoke, heat, carbon monoxide, etc.).
REMOVABLE! CAUTION: WHEN WALL MOUNTING: UNIT MUST BE MOUNTED SO THAT THE BATTERY BOX FACES DOWN! (SEE FIGURE 5). INCORRECT ORIENTATION OF WALL MOUNTED SMOKE ALARMS WILL DECREASE OPERATIONAL EFFECTIVENESS. Kidde Relay Module SM120X Optional Accessory CONNECTED TO Hot Side of A.C. Line Neutral Side of A.C.
1. Remove the trim ring from the back of the alarm by holding the trim ring and twisting the alarm counter-clockwise. 2. After selecting the proper smoke alarm location as described in Section 1 and wiring the AC Quick Connector as described in the WIRING INSTRUCTIONS, attach the trim ring to the electrical box (see Figure 6).
Battery Carrier Tamper Resist Feature, it can be very effective in preventing smoke alarm tampering and battery removal. Activate the smoke alarm tamper resist feature by breaking off the four posts in the square holes in the mounting bracket (see Figure 8A). When the posts are broken off, the tamper resist tab on the base is allowed to engage the mounting bracket.
“TEST/HUSH” button on the smoke alarm cover. If the smoke is not too dense, the alarm will silence immediately. The red LED will illuminate for 1.5 sec- onds every 8 seconds while in hush.
LED’s will NOT be flashing. This smoke alarm is equipped with an alarm memory, which provides a visual indication when an alarm has been activated. The red LED will illuminate for about 1.5 seconds every 16 seconds to indicate the memory condition.
(non-recirculating type) will also help remove these combustible products from the kitchen. Model i12060 has a “HUSH” feature that is extremely useful in a kitchen area or other areas prone to nuisance alarms. For more information, refer to Section 4 OPERATION AND TESTING.
This smoke alarm uses a 9V carbon zinc battery (alkaline and lithium batteries may also be used). A fresh battery should last for one year under normal operat- ing conditions. PRESS This alarm has a low/missing battery monitor circuit which will cause the alarm to “chirp”...
(associated with slow smoldering fires) sooner than ionization alarms. Home fires develop in different ways and are often unpredictable. For maximum protection, Kidde recommends that both Ionization and Photoelectric alarms be installed. • A battery powered alarm must have a battery of the specified type, in good con- dition and installed properly.
• Determine a place outside your home where you all can meet if a fire occurs. • Familiarize everyone with the sound of the smoke alarm and train them to leave your home when they hear it.
• Don’t return to your home until the fire officials say that it is all right to do so. There are situations where a smoke alarm may not be effective to protect against fire as stated in the NFPA Standard 72. For instance:...
If after reviewing this manual you feel that your smoke alarm is defective in any way, do not tamper with the unit. Return it for servicing to: KIDDE, 1016 Corporate Park Dr., Mebane, NC 27302. 1-800-880-6788 (See Warranty for in-warranty returns).
The obligation of KIDDE Safety under this warranty is limited to repairing or replacing the smoke alarm or any part which we find to be defective in material, workmanship or design, free of...