sAfeTy Guidelines - definiTions
It is important for you to read and understand this manual. The information it contains relates to protecting YOUR SAFETY and PREVENTING
PROBLEMS. The symbols below are used to help you recognize this information.
Indicates an imminently hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will result in death or serious injury.
Indicates a potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could result in death or serious injury.
Indicates a potentially haz ard ous situation which, if not avoided, may result in minor or mod er ate injury.
Used without the safety alert symbol indicates potentially hazardous situation which, if not avoided, may result in property damage.
The following are explanations of important safety hazard
pictorials on the mower.
1. User must read and understand the instruction manual.
2. To avoid the risk of serious injury do not mow up and down
slopes. Always mow across slopes.
3. To avoid the risk of injury to bystanders keep all persons
and pets at a safe distance from the mower while operating.
4. Rotating blades can cause serious injury. Keep hands and feet
clear of mower deck and discharge opening at all times. Always
be sure blade has stopped. Wait for the blade to stop rotating
(approximately 3 seconds) after releasing bail handle or switch
lever (2). Unplug mower before removing or replacing grass
catcher, cleaning, servicing, transporting or lifting the mower.
5. Objects struck by mower blade can cause serious injury.
Stay behind the handle when the motor is running. Always
ensure persons and pets are clear of the discharge from the
mower while operating. Always inspect mowing area before
mowing and remove objects
that could be thrown by blade. Release bail handle (switch lever) (2) to
turn mower off and wait for the blade to stop rotating (approximately 3
seconds) before crossing walk, roads, patio and gravel drives.
wArninG: imporTAnT sAfeTy wArninGs And
When using electric lawn mowers, basic safety
precautions should always be followed to reduce the risk of ﬁre, electric
shock, and personal injury, including the following:.
reAd All insTrucTions
To reduce risk of injury:
• Before any use, be sure everyone using this tool reads and
understands all safety instructions and other information contained in
• Save these instructions and review frequently prior to use and in
dAnGer: imporTAnT sAfe prAcTices for
This mower is capable of amputating hands and feet and throwing
objects. Failure to observe the following safety instructions could result
in serious injury or death.
1. Read, understand, and follow all instructions on the mower and in
the instruction manual before starting.
2. Do not put hands or feet near or under the mower. Keep clear of
the discharge opening at all times.
3. Only allow responsible adults, who are familiar with the instructions,
to operate this mower.
4. Clear the area where the mower is to be used of objects such as
rocks, sticks, wire, toys, bones, etc., which could be thrown by
the blade. Objects struck by the blade can cause severe injury to
persons. Stay behind the handle when the motor is running.
5. Be sure the area surrounding the mower is clear of bystanders before
operating. All bystanders and pets should be kept at a safe distance.
Stop the mower if anyone enters the area surrounding the mower.
6. Do not operate mower barefooted or while wearing sandals. Always
wear substantial footwear.
7. Do not pull mower backward unless absolutely necessary. Always
look down and behind before and while moving backward.
8. Never direct discharged material toward anyone. Avoid discharging
material against a wall or obstruction. Material may ricochet back
toward the operator. Release bail handle (switch lever) (2) to turn
mower off and stop the blade when crossing gravel surfaces.
9. Do not operate mower without the entire grass catcher, discharge
guard, rear guard, or other safety protective devices in place and
working. Periodically check all guards and safety protective devices
to ensure they are in good working order and will operate properly
and perform their intended function. Replace a damaged latch,
guard or other safety device before further use.
10. Never leave a running mower unattended.
11. Always release the bail handle or switch lever (2) to stop the motor
and wait until the blade comes to a complete stop and unplug the
mower before cleaning the mower, removing the grass catcher,
un-clogging the discharge guard, when leaving the mower, or
before making any adjustments, repairs or inspections.
12. Operate mower only in daylight or good artificial light when objects in the
path of the blade are clearly visible from the operating area of the mower.
13. Do not operate mower while under the influence of alcohol or drugs,
or when you are tired or ill. Always stay alert, watch what you are
doing, and use common sense.
14. Avoid dangerous environments. Never operate mower in damp or
wet grass, never use mower in the rain. Always be sure of your
footing; walk; never run.
15. Disengage the drive system, if so equipped, before starting the motor.
16. If the mower should start to vibrate abnormally, release the bail
handle or switch lever (2), wait for the blade to stop and unplug
mower, then check for the cause immediately. Vibration is generally
a warning of trouble.
17. Always wear proper eye and respiratory protection when operating
18. The use of any accessory or attachment not recommended for
use with this mower could be hazardous. Only use accessories
approved by Black & Decker.
19. Never overreach while operating the mower. Always be sure to keep
proper footing and balance at all times while operating the mower.
Slopes are a major factor related to slip and fall accidents, which can
result in severe injury. Operation on all slopes requires extra caution. If
you feel uneasy on a slope, do not mow it.
1. Mow across the face of slopes; never up and down. Exercise
extreme caution when changing direction on slopes.
2. Watch for holes, ruts, bumps, rocks, or other hidden objects. Uneven
terrain could cause a slip and fall accident. Tall grass can hide obstacles.
3. Do not mow on wet grass or excessively steep slopes. Poor footing
could cause a slip and fall accident.
4. Do not mow near drop-offs, ditches, or embankments. You could
lose your footing or balance.
Tragic accidents can occur if the operator is not alert to the presence of
children. Children are often attracted to the mower and the mowing
activity. Never assume that children will remain where you last saw
1. Keep children out of the mowing area and under the watchful care
of a responsible adult other than the operator.
2. Be alert and turn mower off if a child enters the area.
3. Never allow children to operate the mower.
4. Use extra care when approaching blind corners, shrubs, trees, or
other objects that may block your view of a child.
1. Never operate mower in a closed area.
2. Keep all nuts and bolts tight to be sure the equipment is in safe
3. Never tamper with safety devices. Check their proper operation regularly.
4. Keep mower free of grass, leaves, or other debris build-up. Allow
mower to cool before storing.
5. If you strike a foreign object, release bail handle or switch lever (2) to turn
mower off, wait for the blade to stop and unplug mower, then inspect the
mower. Repair, any damage, before starting and operating the mower.
6. Never make any adjustments or repairs with the motor running or
while the mower is plugged in.
7. Always unplug mower before adjusting, cleaning, repairing,
inspecting, transporting, storing or leaving the mower.
8. Check grass catcher components and the discharge guard frequently