and when necessary replace with Black & Decker recommended
9. Mower blades are sharp. Wrap the blade or wear gloves, and use
extra caution when servicing them.
10. Maintain or replace safety and instruction labels, as necessary.
This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is
subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause
harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference
received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.
noTe: This equipment has been tested and found to comply with the
limits for Class B digital device, pursuant to part 15 of the FCC Rules.
These limits are designed to provide reasonable protection against
harmful interference in a residential installation. This equipment
generates, uses and can radiate radio frequency energy and, if not
installed and used in accordance with the instructions, may cause
harmful interference to radio communications. However, there is no
guarantee that interference will not occur in a particular installation. If
this equipment does cause harmful interference to radio or television
reception, which can be determined by turning the equipment off and
on, the user is encouraged to try to correct the interference by one or
more of the following measures:
. Reorient or relocate the receiving antenna.
. Increase the separation between the equipment and the receiver.
. Connect the equipment into an outlet on a circuit different from that to
which the receiver is connected.
. Consult the dealer or an experienced radio/TV technician for help.
Changes or modifications to this unit not expressly approved by the
party responsible for compliance could void the user's authority to
operate the equipment. This Class B digital apparatus complies with
sAVe These insTrucTions
wArninG: GenerAl sAfeTy wArninGs And
insTrucTions for All Tools
• This Tool cAn be dAnGerous. Follow all warnings and Safety
Instructions in this manual. The operator is responsible for following
warnings and instructions in this manual and on unit. Restrict use of
this mower to persons who read, understand and follow warnings and
instructions in this manual and on unit.
• Avoid Dangerous Environment – Don't use lawn mowers in damp or
• Don't Use In Rain.
• Keep Children Away – All visitors should be kept a safe distance from
• Dress Properly – Do not wear loose clothing or jewelry. They can
be caught in moving parts. Use of rubber gloves and footwear is
recommended when working outdoors.
• Use Safety Glasses – Always use face or dust mask if operation is dusty.
• Use Right Appliance – Do not use lawn mower for any job except that
for which it is intended.
• use of exTension cords
Make sure the extension cord is in good condition before using. Always
use the proper size extension cords with the tool – that is, proper wire
size for various lengths of cord and heavy enough to carry the current
the tool will draw. Use of an undersized cord will cause a drop in line
voltage resulting in loss of power and overheating. For proper size cords
see chart below.
minimum Gauge for cord sets
(0-7,6m) (7,6-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m) (30,4-45,7m)
(0-15,2m) (15,2-30,4m) (30,4-60,9m) (60,9-91,4m)
American Wire Gauge
• OUTDOOR USE EXTENSION CORDS. To reduce the risk of electric
shock, use only with an extension cord intended for outdoor use, such
as an extension cord of type SW-A, SOW-A, STW-A, STOW-A, SJW-
A, SJOW-A, SJTW-A, or SJTOW-A.
• check for dAmAGed pArTs. Before further use of the mower,
a guard or other part that is damaged should be carefully checked
to determine that it will operate properly and perform its intended
function. Check for alignment of moving parts, binding of moving
parts, breakage of parts, mounting, and any other conditions that may
affect their operation. A guard or other part that is damaged should be
Total length of cord in feet
properly repaired or replaced by an authorized service center unless
otherwise indicated elsewhere in this manual.
• repAirs And serVice. Repairs, maintenance and any adjustments
not specified in this manual should be performed by Black & Decker
authorized service centers or other qualified service organizations,
always using identical replacement parts.
dAnGer: AddiTionAl wArninGs for mowers
• Don't Force Lawn Mower – It will do the job better and safer at the
rate for which it was designed.
• Don't Overreach – Keep proper footing and balance at all times.
• Stay Alert – Watch what you are doing. Use common sense. Do not
operate lawn mower when you are tired.
• Store Idle Lawn Mower Indoors – When not in use, lawn mower should
be stored in an indoor dry and locked-up place – out of reach of children.
• Maintain Lawn Mower With Care – Keep cutting edges sharp and
clean for best and safest performance.
• Keep guards in place and in working order.
• Keep blades sharp.
• Keep hands and feet away from cutting area.
• Objects struck by the lawn mower blade can cause severe injuries
to persons. The lawn should always be carefully examined and
cleared of all objects prior to each mowing.
• If lawn mower strikes a foreign object, follow these steps:
• Stop lawn mower. Release the switch
• Unplug power cord.
• Inspect for damage.
• Repair any damage before restarting and operating the lawn mower.
• Use identical replacement blades only
Some dust created by this product contains chemi-
cals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or
other reproductive harm. Some examples of these chemicals are:
• compounds in fertilizers
• compounds in insecticides, herbicides and pesticides
• arsenic and chromium from chemically treated lumber
To reduce your exposure to these chemicals, wear approved safety
equipment such as dust masks that are specially designed to filter out
FUNCTIONAL DESCRIPTION (FIG. A)
1.) Switch box
3.) Handle knobs
5.) Cable holders
9.) Compact lever
11.) Clear rear flap
2.) Bail Handle (EM1700), Switch lever (EM1500)
4.) Cable management system
6.) Height adjustment lever (not shown)
8.) Grass collection box
10.) Carrying handles