PORTABLE MINIDISC PLAYER
Check the packing carton for these accessories.
AC adaptor (AA-R9017)
Wired remote control
Remove the rechargeable battery from its case before use.
Use numbers indicated in parentheses when asking for replacement parts.
Thank you for purchasing this JVC product. Please read these instructions carefully before starting operation to be sure to obtain opti-
mum performance and a longer service life from the unit.
Power Supply Preparations
Refer to the specifications for information on operating times when using rechargeable battery, dry-cell battery, or both together.
Using nickel metal hydride battery (rechargeable
Remove the supplied rechargeable battery from its case.
Insert the rechargeable battery into the supplied charger/adaptor.
Set the switch of the charger/adaptor to "CHARGER".
Connect the supplied AC adaptor.
The charge indicator lights in red and it will go out when recharging is
completed. Unplug the AC adaptor from the AC outlet and the charger/
Remove the recharged battery from the charger/adaptor and insert
it into the unit.
Slide the cover and
Insert the battery
with its + terminal
• You cannot use the MD player during charging the rechargeable battery.
• It takes approximately 1.5 hours to recharge the rechargeable batteries.
• Rechargeable battery has a service life of approximately 300 charge-discharge cycles. If the
operating time on one full charge becomes noticeably shorter than it used to be, the battery
has reached the end of its service life and should be replaced.
• The AC adaptor and rechargeable batteries may become warm while recharging is in
progress. This is not a malfunction.
Using the AC adaptor
CAUTION: Be sure no battery is inserted into the unit and the battery
Attach the supplied battery case to the unit.
Turn the knob of the battery case toward "LOCK" until it stops. (To detach the battery
case, turn the knob toward "RELEASE" until the battery case is removed.)
Set the switch of the charger/adaptor to "ADAPTOR".
Connect the supplied AC adaptor and charger/adaptor.
The unit is in the standby condition when the AC adaptor and charger/adaptor are connected.
The primary circuit is always "live" as long as the AC adaptor is connected to an electrical outlet.
Nickel metal hydride battery (rechargeable) (BN-R127)
Using dry-cell battery (not included)
CAUTION: Do not use the dry-cell battery together with the AC adaptor.
Open the battery cover of the battery case and insert a LR6 (UM-3) alkaline battery into the
To lengthen the battery life, you can use both rechargeable battery and the dry-cell battery.
Accidental Operation Prevention Function (Hold
This function prevents the unit from accidental button operation.
The unit and remote control have the HOLD switches, each of which works independently.
Slide the HOLD switch in the direction shown by the arrow to activate it.
When the HOLD switch of the unit or remote control is activated, no button operation is pos-
sible in the unit or the remote control.
To operate the unit or remote control normally, return the HOLD switch.
Firmly close the
• Before replacing batteries, always turn off the unit.
Rechargeable nickel metal hydride battery (BN-R127):
• Use only the rechargeable battery (BN-R127) supplied with the unit.
• If the power delivered by the battery lasts for a very short time after recharging, it means
that the battery's service life is over. Do not use it any more.
• Recharging already charged battery will shorten its service life.
• When recharging battery for the first time or when it has not been used for a long period of
time, the play time may be shorter than usual. In a case like this, repeatedly recharge and
discharge the battery. This will restore it to its regular state.
• Do not allow any metal objects to touch the terminals of rechargeable battery since this may
cause short-circuiting which is dangerous.
• Recharging shall be made at the temperature from 10°C to 35°C.
Dry cell battery and rechargeable battery:
To prevent damage to the batteries and electrolyte leakage, heed the following points.
• Align the ª and · polarities properly when inserting the batteries.
• Remove the batteries if you do not plan to use the unit for a long period of time.
• Do not throw batteries into a fire, and do not short-circuit, disassemble or subject them to
• Do not attempt to recharge dry cell batteries.
When putting dry cell or rechargeable batteries in a pocket or bag, ensure that no other metal
objects such as a necklace are placed together with them. Contact with metal may cause short-
circuiting which, in turn, may cause a fire.
Be absolutely sure to carry the rechargeable battery in the battery carrying case.
AC adaptor and charger/adaptor
• Handle the AC adaptor and charger/adaptor carefully. Improper handling is dangerous.
• Do not touch them with wet hands.
• Do not place heavy objects on top of them.
• Do not forcibly bend them.
• Be sure to connect only the AC adaptor and charger/adaptor provided with the unit.
• Disconnect the AC adaptor from the power outlet if the unit is not going to be used for a
THIS PRODUCT UTILIZES A LASER.
USE OF CONTROLS OR ADJUSTMENTS OR
THAN THOSE SPECIFIED HEREIN MAY RESULT
IN HAZARDOUS RADIATION EXPOSURE.
DO NOT OPEN COVERS AND DO NOT REPAIR
YOURSELF. REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED
TO REDUCE THE RISK OF FIRE OR ELECTRIC
SHOCK, DO NOT EXPOSE THIS APPLIANCE TO
RAIN OR MOISTURE.
Bottom of the unit
Top panel of the remote control
Notice about the rechargeable battery
The battery is designated recyclable.
Please follow your local recycling regulations.
1. CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT
2. DANGER: Invisible laser radiation
when open and interlock failed or
defeated. Avoid direct exposure to
3. CAUTION: Do not open the top cover.
There are no user serviceable parts
inside the Unit; leave all servicing to
qualified service personnel.
Location of Controls
Headphones jack ( )
Skip / search button (¢)
Play / pause / stop button (38/7)
Skip / search button (4)
Volume +, – button
No altering or remodeling
This can cause malfunctioning.
No dropping or strong impacts
This may damage the unit.
Locations to be avoided
Avoid using the unit in the following locations since they can cause malfunctioning.
1. Bathrooms and other moisture-prone places.
2. Warehouses and other dusty places
3. Very hot places near heating appliances, etc.
Do not leave the unit exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time
This may deform or discolor the cabinet and may also cause malfunctioning.
Precautions for Listening with the headphones
• Do not play your headset at a high volume. Hearing experts advise against continuous ex-
• If you experience a ringing in your ears, reduce volume or discontinue use.
• Do not use while operating a motorized vehicle. It may create traffic hazard and is illegal in
• You should use extreme caution or temporarily discontinue use in potentially hazardous
• Even if your headphones are an open-air type designed to let you hear outside sounds, don't
turn up the volume so high that you can't hear what's around you.
When driving a car
In the interest of traffic safety, do not operate the unit while driving.
The battery indicator appears on the display of the remote control. When the indication
changes as follows, power will be shut off a short while after.
battery: Recharge it.
y: Replace it with new one.
• The battery indicator appears when an MD is loaded in the unit.
• The battery indicator also appears when the AC adaptor is used. However, it has no mean-
[Indicators on the display
of the remote control]
Play / pause /stop button (38/7)
FAV (Favorite) button
Volume +, – & Skip / search button
(4 ¢ )
JOG MODE button
A.C.BASS (Active Clear Bass) button
P.MODE (Play Mode) button