Before you call for service...
Troubleshooting Tips Save time and money! Review the charts on the following
pages, or visit GEAppliances.com. You may not need to call for service.
What To Do
Dishwasher won't run
Fuse is blown, or the
• Replacefuse or reset circuit breaker. Remove any other appliances
circuit breaker tripped
from the circuit.
• Try pressing the START/RESETpad (Electronicmodels)two times.
Power is turned off
• In some installations, power to the dishwasher is provided through a wall
switch, often located next to the disposer switch. Make sure it is on.
Some of the sounds
• Soft food disposal shredding action.
you'll hear are normal
• Drain valve opening to pump water out.
• Timer control as cycle progresses.
• Detergent cup opening.
• The motor stopping during the drying period.
• Water draining out of tub immediatelyafter touching the START/RESET pad.
Utensils are not secure
• Make sure everything is secured in dishwasher.
in rack or something small
has dropped into rack
Rattling dishes when
• Make sure dishes are properly loaded. See the Loading the
the spray arm rotates
dishwasher rocks section.
• Dishwasher has not been used on a regular basis. If you do not use
your dishwasher often, set it to fill and pump out once every week.
This will help keep the seal moist.
Water standing in
This is normal
• A small amount of clean water around the outlet on the tub bottom
the bottom of the tub
atthe back of the tub keeps the water seal lubricated.
• If you have an air gap, clean it.
out of the tub
• Checkto see if your kitchen sink is draining well. If not, you may need
• If the dishwasher drains into a disposer,run disposer clear.
Suds in the tub
• Use only automatic dishwasher detergents to avoid sudsing.
Cascade? Cascade®Complete and Electrasol ® Automatic Dishwashing
Detergents have been approved for use in all GEdishwashers.
• To remove suds from the tub, open the dishwasher and let suds
dissipate. Add 1 gallon of cold water to the tub. On Models with a Dial:
Close and latch the dishwasher. Pump out water by slowly turning the
Dial until a drain period is reached. Repeat if necessary. On Models with
ElectronicControl: Pump out water by pressing the START/RESET p ad,
then 10 seconds later, press START/RESETpad again. Repeat if necessary.
• Always wipe up rinse agent spills immediately.
• Use of the RINSEONLVcycle after adding the dish to the load
can decrease the level of staining. GE recommends Cascade®
Plastic Booster to help remove these types of stains.
• Removethe stain by hand, using a solution of 1/2 cup bleach
and 3 cups warm water.
Rinse agent was spilled
Stained tub interior
foods can cause reddish
Tea or coffee stains
An overall yellow or
brown film can be
caused by iron deposits
Before cleaning interior, wait at least 20 minutes after a cycle for the
heating elements to cool down. Failureto do so can result in burns.
Antesde limpiarel interior, e sperepar Io menos20 minutesdespues de un cicIo
para que loselementoscalentadores seenfrfen. N o hacerlopuedeprovocar
• A special filter in the water supply line is the only way to correct
this problem. Contact a water softener company.
White film on inside
• GE recommends Cascade Crystal Clear_ to help prevent hard water
mineral deposits from forming.
• Rundishwasher with citric acid to remove mineral deposits. Citric
acid (Part number: WD35X15D can be ordered through GEParts.
See back cover for ordering information.