Floppy Disk Drive FAQs
How do I copy a document or file to a floppy disk with a computer running a
Microsoft® Windows® operating system.
1. Insert the floppy disk into the disk drive.
2. Open Windows Explorer.
3. Click the Start button, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click
4. Locate and click the file or folder you want to copy.
5. On the File menu, point to Send To, and then click 3 1/2 Floppy (A).
How do I format a floppy disk from within a Microsoft Windows operating system?
1. Insert a floppy disk into the floppy drive.
2. Make sure none of the files on the floppy disk are currently being used. A floppy disk
cannot be formatted if a file on it is in use.
3. Open the My Computer window.
4. Right-click the 3.5-inch Floppy drive icon and select Format from the menu. The
Format window appears.
5. In the Format window, click Start to begin formatting the floppy disk.
6. An alert appears to notify you that formatting will erase all data on the disk. Click OK
to continue with the format.
7. When the format is finished, a Format Complete window appears. Click OK.
8. In the Format window, click Close.
The disk is now ready to use. If you have a problem formatting a disk, verify that the disk
is fully inserted into the drive. Also verify that the disk is not write-protected. In the
upper-right corner of the disk there is a square hole with a small sliding plastic shutter.
When the shutter covers the hole the disk is write-protected and cannot be formatted.
Make sure to slide the shutter down so that the square hole is open.