Thank you for selecting this Yamaha NS-5 speaker system.
Read these precautions carefully before operating
● When using an amplifier with a rated output power
higher than the music input of the speaker, care
should be taken never to exceed the speaker's
● Anytime you note distortion, reduce the volume con-
trol on your amplifier to a lower setting. Never allow
your amplifier to be driven into "clipping".
● Do not place the speaker where it will be exposed to
direct sunlight or excessive humidity to prevent it
from being damaged.
● Do not attempt to clean the speaker with chemical
solvents as this might damage the finish. To clean,
wipe with a dry, soft cloth.
● Placing the speaker on the same shelf or rack as
the turntable can result in feedback.
● Do not place the speaker where it is liable to be
knocked over or struck by falling objects. Stable
placement will also ensure better sound perfor-
● Secure placing is the owner's responsibility.
YAMAHA shall not be liable to any accident
caused by an improper placing of the speaker.
CONNECTION TO YOUR AMPLIFIER
BEFORE MAKING CONNECTIONS, MAKE SURE
THAT THE AMPLIFIER IS SWITCHED OFF.
● Connect the screw-type input terminals at the rear
of the speaker to the speaker output terminals of
your amplifier with the provided speaker cables.
● One side of the speaker cable is marked by a white
line. Connect the (+) terminals on both the amplifier
and the speakers using this white-marked side.
Connect the (–) terminals on both components
using the unmarked side of the cable. If connected
with reversed polarity, the sound will be unnatural
and lack bass.
Loosen the terminal knob.
Insert the bare wire end properly into the terminal
hole. [Remove approx. 10 mm (3/8") insulation
from the speaker cable.]
Tighten the knob.
Test the security of the connection by tugging
lightly on the cable at the terminal.
2-Way Speaker System
Do not let the bare speaker wires touch each other
as this could damage the speaker and/or the
* Banana Plug connections are also possible. First
tighten the terminal knobs, and then insert the
Banana Plug connector into the corresponding ter-