9 horsepower mulching and bagging chipper-vacuum (31 pages)
Summary of Contents for Craftsman 486.24516
Operators Manual LCRRFTSHRN" I H.P. CHIPPER VAC SYSTEM Model No, 486.24516 CAUTION: Before using this product, read this manual and follow all Safety Rules and Operating Instructions. Sears, Roebuck and Co., Hoffman www.searS.com/craftsman PRINTED IN U.S,A, Estates, IL 60179 U.S.A.
Sears will replace the battery at no charge. Warranty service is available free of charge by returning your Craftsman equipment to your nearest Sears Service Center. In-home warranty service is available but a trip charge will apply. This Warranty applies only while this product is in the United States.
& DANGER: This Chipper Vac was built to be operated according to the rules for safe operation in this manual. As with any type of power equipment, carelessness or error on the part of the opera- tor can result in serious objects.
BLADES inside these openings. and gloves. Avoid loose fitting clothes. clear of all persons, particularly (e.g.
These accessories were available when the unit was purchased. They are also available at most Sears retail outlets and service centers. Most Sears stores can order repair parts for you when you provide the model numbers of your tractor and Chipper Vac System. The model and serial numbers will be found on a decal attached to the engine base.
SHOWN FULL SIZE .i BB 7 DD NOT SHOWN FULL SIZE...
ATTENTION! Keep contents CONTENTS OF HARDWARE PACKAGE IN CART CARTON Ref. Qty. Description Bolt, Hex 3/8" x 3" Bolt, Hex 1/4" x 1-3/4" Bolt, Hex 3/8" x 1-1/4" Bolt, Hex 1/4" x 5/8" Bolt, Truss Head 5/16" x 3/4" Lockwasher, 1/4" Lockwasher, 5/16"...
This unit is shipped WITHOUT GASOLINE or OIL. After assembly, see separate engine manual for proper fuel and engine oil recommendations. TOOLS REQUIRED FOR ASSEMBLY Screwdriver Pliers 3/8" Wrench 7/16" Wrenches 1/2" Wrenches 9/16" Wrenches 3/4" Wrenches (only if figure 28 on page 16 is used) REMOVAL OF PARTS FROM CARTONS...
• Assemble the wheel support to the bottom of the cart using eight 5/16" x 3/4" truss head screws, 5/16" lock washers, and 5/16 hex nuts as shown in figure 4. Heads of screws go on the inside of cart. Tighten. TRUSS HEAD SCREW 5/16"...
• Assemble a spacer tube onto each end of the axle as shown in figure 8. • Assemble a 1" flat washer, a wheel (valve stem facing out), and another 1" flat washer onto the axle as shown in figure 8. Secure the wheel with a 1/8" x 1-1/2"...
Lower the front of the cart and lock it to the tongue with the latch lock lever. Place a side panel down onto the cart, fitting it inside the front panel. Fasten the side panel to the front panel using three 1/4" x 5/8" hex bolts, 1/4" lock washers and 1/4"...
• Assemble a 1/4" hex nut and then a 1/4" flat washer onto each end of a tie rod. Insert the rod ends through the upper holes in the sides of the hardtop. Assemble another 1/4" flat washer and 1/4" hex nut onto each end of the tie rod.
• Assemble a short tie strap to the rear door using one 1/4" x 1-1/4" hex bolt, two 1/4" flat washers, one 1/4" lock washer and one 1/4" hex nut. Assemble an "S" hook through the loose end of the strap. See figure 20.
Attach the chipper chute assembly to the weld bolts on the back side of the impeller housing using three 5/16" flat washers and 5/16" Nylock nuts. Tighten. See figure 27. • insert the tamper plug into the end of the chipper chute assembly. CHIPPER CHUTE ASSEMBLY _16"...
• Assemble the hitch plate to the tractor hitch if: Your tractor has a square (straight) hitch frame, to help prevent binding. Your tractor has a lightweight hitch frame that needs reinforcing for towing the Mow-N-Vac. Use a 1/2" x 1-1/4" hex bolt, a 7/16" flat washer and a 1/2"...
Position the adapter over the deck opening, and check for fit of cutout as shown in figure 30. Trim cutout, if necessary, to allow tilting of adapter, keeping the fit as close as possible for best vacuum suction. NOTE: Make sure adapter clears gauge wheels on mower deck DECK ADAPTER Curl on deck may be located outside of...
FOR 1990 AND NEWER MURRAY TRACTORS WITH A 38" OR 40" DECK Cut out two templates and place on deck adapter as shown in figure 34. Tape smaller one on top and larger one on the side and bottom. After they are in place, carefully mark around the templates, then cut out adapter to obtain correct opening.
KNOW YOUR VAC SYSTEM Read this owner's manual and safety rules before operating your Vac System. Compare the illustration below with your Vac System to familiarize yourself with the various controls and their locations. HARDTOPBOOT LATCH LOCK LEVER HARDTOP BOOT Connects the plastic elbow to the hard top, directing discharged...
RUN position. HOW TO USE YOUR CHIPPER & • Inspect the Chipper Vac to make sure all covers (rear door, hard top boot, elbow, chipper chute with tamper plug, hose adapter (nozzle), hose and deck adapter are properly attached.
(becomes stringy, etc.) or if the rate of discharge slows down consider- ably, it is likely that the chipper blades are dull and need to be sharpened or replaced. Refer to the Service and Adjustments section, on page 23.
Maintain engine per instructions below and in engine manual. BEFOREEACH CHECK FOR LOOSE FASTENERS • Make a thorough visual check of the Chipper Vac for any bolt_ and nuts which may have loosened. RetiaE_en any loose bolts and nuts. CHECK VINYL BOOT •...
Remove the access plate by removing two hex lock nuts. See figure 38. • Locate one of the chipper blades in the access plate opening by rotating the impeller assembly by hand. Remove the blade using a 3/16" allen wrench on the outside of the blade and a 1/2"...
1. Stop engine immediately and disconnect spark plug wire. Clean inside of housing and discharge chute (elbow). 2. Stop engine immediately and disconnect spark plug wire. Remove lodged object. 3. Empty cart. Sharpen or replace chipper blades.
REPAIR PAFITS FOR I_ODEL 486.24516 CHIPPER VAC SYSTEM 38 37 ADAPTER #62468 &-13 .ft54 TRACTOR...
23540 Hitch Plate 43866 Bolt, Hex 1/4-20 x 5/8" 43661 Bolt, Hex 1/4-20 x 1" 43088 Washer, 1/4" STD 1509-90 Bolt, Hex 1/4-20 x 1-1/4" 486.24516 CHIPPER VAC SYSTEM REF. PART QTY. DESCRIPTION 43178 Nut, Hex 1/4-20 43177 Lockwasher, Spring 1/4"...
43064 Nut, Hex Lock 5/16-18 43086 Washer, Lock 5/16" Spring Type Z19-0330A Adapter, Mounting 725-1700 Cover, Switch 725-3166 Snap Mount Switch 726-0272 Clamp FOR MODEL 486.24516 HOUSING ASSEMBLY PART 731-1613 63226 712-3046 24606 736-0247 63924 710-1273 43003 629-0923 _ 1...
& 10° CAUTION: Do not operate your tractor and Chipper on a slope in excess of 10 degrees. Be sure of your tractor's towing and braking capabilities before operating any sudden turns or maneuvers while on a siope. E=CD Vac System on a slope.
Get it fixed, For repair of major brand appliances no matter who made it, no matter who sold it! 1-800-4-MY-HOME (1-800-469-4663) To bring in products such as vacuums, for repair, call for the location of your nearest Sears Parts & Repair Center. 1-800-488-1222 For the replacement that you need to do-it-yourself,...