IBM storage products
Quick installation guide
Models: DAQA-32160, DAQA-32700,
1. Do not cover the breather hole! Covering the
breather hole may result in loss of data.
2. Do not press on the drive! Do not apply any force
to the drive during handling or installation.
3. Always handle the drive with care to prevent
damage from shock, vibration, or electrostatic
4. Do not open the static-protective bag containing the
drive until required. Static electricity can damage the
5. Turn off and unplug your computer. Remove cover
6. When installing the drive, touch a grounded,
unpainted metal surface with the static-protective
package containing the drive for at least two seconds.
(This drains static electricity from the package and
from your body.)
7. Handle the drive carefully by the edges. Do not
touch any exposed printed circuit board.
IBM Hard Disk Drive Technical Support Center
8. Save the drive packaging material including the
ESD bag in the event that the drive must be returned.
Place the drive in an anti-static bag before placing it
in the shipping container. The warranty will be void if
the drive is not returned in IBM approved packaging.
Quick installation procedure
Note: It is advisable to backup all data before
proceeding with the installation.
If your system BIOS cannot handle large capacity
drives (over 540 MB), you may need to use a disk
overlay program such as Ontrack's Disk Manager.
The following procedure uses the Ontrack Disk
Manager software. Information on obtaining a copy of
Ontrack's Disk Manager can be found on the Web at
Setting the jumpers
1. In a one-drive system, configure your new drive as
Master (Device 0).
2. In a two-drive system, one drive must be desig-
nated as the Master, the other as the Slave (Device 1)
3. When installing the new drive as a Slave, check the
Master drive to determine if a jumper change is
required to indicate that a Slave drive is present.
4. Consult your manual to see if your computer
supports Cable Select before choosing this option.
Back side of drive
Master active JP4 (DCAA)