CAUTION: For the protection of your monitor, as well as your
computer, connect all power cords for your computer and its
peripheral devices (monitor, printer, scanner, etc.) to some form of
surge protection device such as a power strip or UPS
(Uninterruptible Power Supply). Not all power strips provide surge
protection; they must be specifically labeled as having this ability.
Look for manufacturers that have a Damage Replacement Policy to
replace your equipment if their surge protection fails.
Retain and follow all product safety and operating instructions. Observe
all warnings on the product and in the operating instructions.
To reduce the risk of bodily injury, electric shock, fire, and damage
to the equipment, observe the following precautions:
Heed service markings: Except as explained elsewhere in the Compaq
documentation, do not service any Compaq product yourself. Opening
or removing covers that are marked
may expose you to electric
shock. Service needed on components inside these compartments
should be done by a Compaq authorized service provider.
Damage requiring service: Unplug the product from the electrical
outlet and refer servicing to a Compaq authorized service provider
under the following conditions:
I The power cord, extension cord, or plug is damaged.
I Liquid has been spilled or an object has fallen into the product.
I The product has been exposed to rain or water.
I The product has been dropped or damaged.
I There are noticeable signs of overheating.
I The product does not operate normally when you follow the
Avoid hot areas: The product should be placed away from heat sources
such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other products (including
amplifiers) that produce heat.
Avoid wet areas: Never use the product in a wet location.
Avoid pushing objects into product: Never push objects of any kind
into cabinet slots or other openings in the product. Slots and openings
are provided for ventilation. These openings must not be blocked or